Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-08-28-WWF-The Big Event] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts (No DQ)

Superstar Sleeze

Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts - WWF Big Event 8/28/86 SnakePit Match ("No DQ" Match)

Again, they had a different match from the previous outings with this being their big blowoff brawl in front of a massive Toronto crowd. WWF will never be known for their brawls like a Southern territory would be, but this is still time period where they could have them with blood and all the fixins.

They play off the SNME angle where Jake The Snake heads him off getting to the ring and looks to hit the DDT on him early, but Steamboat is able to fight through this with chops. What's funny about this is that Jake is wearing this purple sequined robe that makes him look like a white trash, washed up magician. In another funny moment, they were talking about how tall Jake was and he is pretty deceptively tall. Like you don't think of Jake the Snake in pantheon of tall wrestlers, but he dwarfed Steamboat. They were saying he had long arms and long legs. Then I swear Johnny V added "He has a long peck too." All this humor was great because the match actually started off pretty slow with Steamboat working the arm. It was solid work, but it was not setting the world on fire. Actually that's what I expected out of these going into these matches, but I was happily proven wrong. Things really got going once Jake took over on the outside. He was kicking some ass until The Dragon got a hold of chair and actually laid a pretty good one in on him. Steamer hit the big flying chop, but did not get the win. I think that was Steamboat's downfall in these blood feuds. He did not have that one move that could really serve as the Grand Finale. Jake whipped him into the buckles and Steamboat tumbled to the outside. Jake was great on the outside and catapulted him into the post. We get blood BABY! Jake kicks some ass hits his big moves (short arm clothesline, gutbuster), but not the DDT so you know he ain't winning. The finish is so lame. It is the heel clearly pinning the babyface in a way to get rolled up. It is a fine spot, but as a match finish super lame. Steamboat needed a better finish. It was a pretty solid brawl, but nowhere as good as the Boston matches. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-08-28-WWF-The Big Event] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts (No DQ)