Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-04-22-WWF-MSG, NY] Randy Savage vs Tito Santana (No DQ)

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Intercontinental Champion Randy Savage vs Tito Santana - WWF, MSG 4/22/86 No DQ

MSG was cookin on the 22nd of April, 1986, BABY! This time there would no way for the Macho Man to intentionally disqualify himself because it would be a No DQ match. I have to say this is right up Chico's alley. He can throw hands with the best of them and Savage is going to have to break the rules and show himself to be without scruples. He demonstrated right off the bat when he was willing to throw Liz down to distract Tito long enough to cheapshot him. It did not last for long as Tito nailed this cheapshot artist as he came off the top rope and the Macho Man crumpled to the mat. They took to the outside where as Savage tried to escape into the crowd Santana blasted him with a chair. It was hilarious that no one informed the announcers this was a No DQ match. Savage pushed Tito shoulder-first into steel post out of desperation. Savage followed up with his usual full-court press flying around from all sides and angles. On the outside, the Macho Man wanted to smash a chair over Tito's head, but this would lead to his downfall a couple times. In the HOLY SHIT bump of 1986, Savage does a double axe handle to the floor and takes a chair to the abdomen. OW! Santana beat the shit out of him and there was no escape for the Macho Man. He raked the eyes on the figure-4 and Tito followed him out rammed him into the post, which busted him open. Savage performed some kick ass selling in this match, but he really kicked into the next level on this finish stretch. They work a crazy awesome stand up boxing match that would have drove the Mid-South Coliseum bonkers. Savage channels his 1997 self and nails the ref. Savage being a total, unrelenting dick to refs is pretty much my favorite thing ever. Santana hits the Flying Burrito, but there is NO ref. This is bogus! Of course, Santana tries to revive the ref, but Savage goes to his favorite bloody brawl escape with the title finish the reversal of the O'Connor Roll and yank the tights.

First he yanked the ref onto Tito to get the DQ win and now he has nailed a ref to avoid being pinned. How can this Macho Menace be stopped? I think they need a troubleshooting referee. A man that will walk tall and not take any shit. They need "Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino. That's what they would get. Awesome heated brawl from these two. I had seen their Maple Leaf Gardens matches and remember them being similar. This had probably one of the best finish stretches of the late 80s WWF. The beginning was great, but I was not feeling it was at a fever pitch and they built to it more, which is fine, but I think that stops it from being one of the all-time classic brawls in wrestling history. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

Watching Randy Savage matches is probably one of the easiest things in the world. The guy is just so great. He bumps great, he throws hands great, he's a dastardly conniving bastard in a great way. The Liz stalling stuff always makes for fantastic heat then you get Tito getting in some really good babyface shine. The stuff around the chair was really good ending in a great payoff when Savage falls into the chair. Savage getting posted and bleeding like nuts was a great visual and it really brought the finishing stretch to another level. Gotta love how truly pissed you can get when watching heels win in 80s matches. The emotion of the crowd just takes you away.

• GSR changed the title to [1986-04-22-WWF-MSG, NY] Randy Savage vs Tito Santana (No DQ)