Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-04-23-WWF-MSG, NY] Sgt. Slaughter vs Iron Sheik

Superstar Sleeze

Sgt. Slaughter vs Iron Sheik - WWF, MSG 4/23/84

Slaughter's babyface turn is one of the most perfectly executed in history. I had seen it before, but watching it again recently just really hit home for me. Sheiky Baby was having a match with Eddie Gilbert and the Allentown crowd was chanting for Slaughter because of a standoff they had a week or so prior. Sheik applied the Camel Clutch and then spat upon his fallen opponent and Slaughter just erupted into the ring to chase him off. The place came absolutely unglued. Slaughter delivered the patriotic promos of all patriotic promos and then the Pledge of Allegiance. Wow, when the crowd started reciting with him that's fucking powerful.

Not to be outdone, but the MSG crowd was absolutely roaring for this match. I don't think they ever sat down for one second for this fiery bout. This was a fantastic first match in a series. Jesus. most wrestlers wish their blowoff was this good and this heated. Sheik charging the ring only to get his ass kicked was awesome. Slaughter tears the Keffiyeh and throws it to the crowd. He spits on Sheik and just generally tortures him to the delight of the bloodthirsty MSG crowd. The money is always in the comeback and Slaughter goes charging in, but is caught by the pointed boot of the Iranian. Sheik is an excellent heel constantly kicking Slaughter in the throat and choking him. He bashes him into the metal turnbuckle and busts Sarge wide open. It is a Sheik match so he can't resist the gutwrench suplex, but he is being a mean bastard by going after the throat. When Slaughter blocks the suplex and hits his own and then makes his no selling comeback. Wow! MSG crowd is insane. Slaughter Canon! That's not enough he wants to clobber him with his boot. The ref tries to stop it and eventually Slaughter goes to town which draws the DQ and Sheiky Baby makes a hasty retreat. In the back, there is a Kal Rudman sighting! They have a really good pull apart brawl! One of the best first matches in a series in history, excellent match and crazy sustained crowd heat. ****1/4

• 3 weeks later...

Came across a 3 disc set (well a conversion of a 3 disc set) and watched all the build up to the first encounter and this match today. Definitely lives up to the hype as an all time feud and I liked how they slowly built up the tension between the two of them until the crowd was just dying to see them go after each other.

This match is really good first match in a blood feud with an absolutely insane crowd. You could see how well they built this up by how hot the crowd was before the match started and how they never really came down through the whole match. I loved Sheik trying to sneak attack Slaughter at the start but Slaughter turning at the last second, knowing it was coming and starting to kick Sheik's ass. Iron Sheik hit one of the best gutwrench suplexes I've ever seen in this match and that was the "fanciest" move in the whole thing this was all about two dudes just wanting to beat on each other. The finish was really good with Slaughter taking off one of his boots to hit Sheik with it but the ref stopping him as he went for it and Sheik using that moment to cut him off. You think it's going to lead to Sheik taking over again but Slaughter then manages to start wailing on him with the boot causing a DQ and sending the Iron Sheik running for cover. One of the hottest crowds I've ever seen for an entire match, not just for an entrance or a finish but the whole way through and I would agree with Sleeze that this is one of the best in the first matches in the first of a series that I've ever seen.

I wonder if WWE has any other matches between these two locked up in the vault because during the buildup they had promos from Slaughter for a match between the two in both Los Angeles at the Olypmic Auditorium and a match in the Boston Garden.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-04-23-WWF-MSG, NY] Sgt. Slaughter vs Iron Sheik