Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-10-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] British Bulldogs vs Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake (2/3 falls)

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Tag Champs British Bulldogs vs Dream Team - 2 Out of Three Falls SNME 10/86

One impressive thing about this series so far has been that these teams have really gone out and had different matches each time. This match saw the Dream Team in control of majority of the match. Hell, Brutus Beefcake looked shockingly competent. Valentine gets a hold of Dynamite's knee early, but Davey Boy comes in and the Dream Team overwhelm him bringing the injured Dynamite back in. I got to give the man some credit, but the Beefer worked Dynamite's knee pretty well, before Valentine was able to wrangle him into a figure 4 and garner the first fall.

They continue to work over Dynamite's leg at the beginning of the second fall. But Valentine goes for the always tempting second-rope elbow and misses allowing for Davey Boy to come in like the proverbial house afire. Bulldog hits his dropkick, delayed vertical suplex and running powerslam on Valentine before re-doing that wicked bitchin finish from the non-title match with Dynamite leaping off Beefcake and doing a headbutt on Valentine for the second fall.

Towards the beginning of the 3rd fall, there is a strike exchange, which makes me wish there was a Dynamite vs Greg Valentine match. Snap suplex by Dynamite, but he misses the standing headbutt. Valentine is back on the leg, but Dynamite pushes him off on the figure-4 attempt and tags out to Davey Boy. Beefcake gets the tag simultaneously and cuts off Davey Boy (I always want to write Bulldog, but have to stop myself). Valentine hits a suplex and Brutus connects with a high knee, but Dynamite saves. Brutus goes in for a high knee in the corner, but Davey Boy side-steps and picks up the win with a fisherman's suplex.

I would say it is close with the Wrestlemania II, but this is the my favorite match that I have seen between these teams. The match runs through the heels more, which is something I prefer. Hell, Beefcake came through in the clutch and proved me wrong in this match. Valentine was his usually violently awesome self. It is not like the Dream Team ate up the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs got in all of their offense and looked both resilient and impressive in their match. I actually think the other matches were too lop-sided in the favor of the Bulldogs that it actually made the Dream Team look like chumps. This match actually made the Bulldogs look more badass for overcoming the Dream Team in a way that just being on offensive never would. Dynamite sold really well throughout the match and Davey Boy is a really good hot tag. I would say this is my pick for best WWF 80s tag match I have seen so far. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-10-04-WWF-Saturday Night's Main Event] British Bulldogs vs Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake (2/3 falls)
  • 1 month later...

Greg Valentine really stood out as a great heel wrestler, a ring mechanic if you will. He flops around in Ric Flair fashion and he takes out Kid's leg right from the start. All his strikes looked legit. The heel team gets the win after a Valentine Figure Four, but The Bulldogs even the score with a brilliant top rope double team finish. Smith hoists Beefcake in a fireman's carry, and Kid dives off Beefcake to hit a headbutt on a prone Valentine. It's a sight to see and I don't think I've ever seen a finish like it. The final fall sees Kid trying to tag his partner as his leg is naff. The babyface eventually picks up the win after many teases and the crowd roar in approval. The Bulldogs have impeccable chemistry together, despite Dynamite Kid's injuries slowing him down. Even a broken-down Kid is still better than most.

★★★½