Pro Wrestling Only

Worst wrestler/manager combination ever?

Judy Bagwell

Another classic bad pairing I haven't seen posted yet, Mr. Perfect and Coach. Amazing that Perfect/Bret had that Summerslam 91 match with that character at ringside. Just conjuncture since I don't remember watching this pairing, but I don't see how Coach would have been a good fit with the Beverly Brothers either.

Nasty Boys and Missy Hyatt might be another. The Nastys with a woman really doesn't make sense.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach wouldn't have worked with anybody. Just a terrible idea. No idea how Tolos was as a manager elsewhere.

My feelings on Stacy as a bad idea with the Dudleys are that she tried to totally overshadow them at every turn and had zero clue or interest in actually acting like a heel. I hear the argument that attitude era fans didn't want to boo hot women, but Trish in 2000 and esp in 2004-05 was despised by crowds and played a great heel. Stacy managing a face frat boy like Test or Shawn Stasiak worked okay, anyone else did not.

Oh good lord I forgot about that. Maryse actually was starting to get over as a heel to a good extent, despite not being that great in the ring and then they paired her with Ted Dibiase and you could tell they hated each other and it buried both of them.

What's odd is they never put Maryse with the Miz as an actual combo.

There's certainly a sense of disconnect between Del Rio and Zeb for now, but I think there's still time to correct the course and let them find their stride.

I still think Zeb should go into full throttle Ron Wright mode - playing up the old rotten rogue that has turned over a new leaf, seeking forgiveness (and DONATIONS) from men, women, and children of all nations, all colors, and all backgrounds.

DiBiase Jr and Maryse was going to get my vote at first - they couldn't have looked less interested in each other, and what could on paper have been an interesting pairing cooled them both off ridiculously fast.

Maybe not worst, but a solid vote for the most useless is the incredibly dynamic pairing of Kurt Angle and Daivari. The only conceivable reason this was done was to attempt to make it impossible for anybody to cheer Angle over Cena during their feud since Cena was starting to have his problems, but because Daivari is largely useless at getting anything resembling non-cheap heat in his own right, it was a pairing that accomplished absolutely nothing since Angle didn't need anybody, and as a duo together they looked completely wrong together.

Also in the zero chemistry file is babyface Billy Gunn managed by Torrie Wilson.

Anybody remember the time they tried putting Ashley Massaro with London and Kendrick?

The story behind DiBiase and Maryse is that they wanted the two of them to act like a couple but Ted didn't want to do the storyline because he's married and it would go against his religious beliefs. I guess the guys that wrestled Ted would go out of their way to get Maryse involved in matches because she wanted to commit to the character but it just wasn't going to work with Ted.

For cripes sakes, that's just absurd. Mind you we do get that in theater too. I know a brilliant singer who can't go out for a lot of roles because her husband has "ordered" her not to take any parts where she has to kiss a guy.

The whole experience did sour Maryse on wrestling completely, which is a shame because I think she could help the Miz's career out a lot if as a manager.

Coach wouldn't have worked with anybody. Just a terrible idea. No idea how Tolos was as a manager elsewhere.

My feelings on Stacy as a bad idea with the Dudleys are that she tried to totally overshadow them at every turn and had zero clue or interest in actually acting like a heel. I hear the argument that attitude era fans didn't want to boo hot women, but Trish in 2000 and esp in 2004-05 was despised by crowds and played a great heel. Stacy managing a face frat boy like Test or Shawn Stasiak worked okay, anyone else did not.

What was even worse was when they put her with Hurricane/Rosey and she complained about wearing the mask. With the Dudleys there was always the sense that they could turn on her at any moment so she was supposed to be somewhat sympathetic in that role.

Maryse played her character amazingly well in ring and every little gesture or move and even her offense was tied to it. As a stage actor myself, she could have been great at that if it were her interest.

NEVER got the vibes the Dudleys were going to turn on or hurt Stacy. Be happy to see any footage that proves me wrong. And mind you I DESPISE that era's man on woman violence with a passion.

The Hurrifriends thing I didn't mind since they were all a low card comedy act anyway, but her complaining about the mask is an lol.

I always thought Steve Austin's career took a major step backwards in WCW when Col. Rob Parker became his manager.

As far as I why Jimmy Hart became Hogan's manager, I believe it was because he became his shoot manager in real life and they thought it'd be strange to have a heel manager tagging along with Hogan at personal appearances etc. It was a terrible idea though. Damaged both Hogan and Jimmy.

Fuji managing Demolition never worked. Either time. They should have turned them face way before they actually did, and had Fuji bring in the Powers of Pain as heels to get revenge. I think they put Fuji with them in 1990 just to cool them off, make sure the fans were behind the LOD, and to downgrade the team to mid-cart after that feud was over.

And they replaced Rocky King as "Little Richard Marley", who replaced Buddy Roberts as "General Buddy E. Lee" ... the Freebirds in 1990-1992 is so shamelessly pathetic that I've grown to admire it. It takes balls to be that bad of an act, and to be that committed to it.

This was one of my top takeaways from a chronological re-watch of WCW Clashes & PPVs when the WWE Network launched. Seemingly every new show, there was either a minor or major tweak to the Freebirds' gimmick, rarely for the better, yet not only did management stick with them, they kept winning titles!

Harley Race and the Collossal Kongs. Not only was Race not able to get the Kongs over (a Herculean task for anyone), even as a kid I wondered why Race was managing these losers. Harley had only managed world champions in Luger and Vader, and in my eyes would only manage the elite. The Kongs were so obviously not on the level of Race's other charges, and it actually diminished Race's aura for me.