Pro Wrestling Only

How To Make A Podcast More Successful

Hi Guys

I've been doing my podcast/radio show Get in the Ring for a little over a year now and I have fun doing it but I've been a little upset with the lack of traction it has gotten. Sometimes I'll have 75 downloads when someone like Dylan Hales, or Bill
Apter on but have a lack of downloads when i have no guest on. It's been really frustrating looking the listener counts when I go live or downloads on the on demand. I'm trying different things to separate myself from the pack but it hasn't worked and I don't know what it is. The same people are listening to my show and I'm getting no feedback on what I can do better so it's really hard to create a formula that works for an audience I don't have. Any advice? If you want to check out my show and tell me what I'm doing right and wrong I'd appreciate it. Here's the link www.shoutengine.com/GetintheRing

Twitter. For my hockey podcast I go on Twitter and interact a lot with the Blue Jackets community. My show isn't big but it's constantly growing and I've surpassed other Blue Jackets podcasts. I also get a lot of feedback via Twitter and even some Blue Jackets staff and beat writers have listened to my show and given me feedback.

I also read Tweets on the air and bring fans on the show and advertise it.

What is your web presence like? Its 2015, if you want to be known you have to (unfortunately) be apart of social media and interacting with people. As mentioned above, make sure you have a Twitter, etc. Identity is big as well. I recommend changing the intro to something a big more signature and unique. People like to Dylan, Will, and others because they are familiar with their posts. So what does that mean for you? Get your name out there and be sure to post some quality stuff while (casually) pimping your podcast at times (and even in your signature). Reading Will's 2 paragraph rant on something makes me want to then tune in (as its easier to talk than write), so I would like to see the same from you.

I just finished listening to GITR 10/30/15. Nothing I write here is suppose to be 'mean' or 'personal', so please don't take it as such. This is all coming from a good place and coming from a person who has listened to your podcast for the first time. First off, it sounds as though you and your buddy can easily communicate with each other which is a good thing. I recommend slowly down (the both of you) and really let your words sink in. I know its hard at times, but try not to talk over each other. Someone needs to be the host and the other the co-host.

The first 4 minutes or so of the podcast talks about Hogan's contract and it was a HUGE missed opportunity. You and your buddy went over it as casually as me and my buddy did. You offered no insight and again- this could have been a 30 minute conservation or even an entire episode. Did Hogan live up to his WCW contract? How Hogan's 1998 WCW contract impacted WCW's business decisions (main event run and title run of Hogan despite the fans growing tired of his act, the blandness of the NWO, etc.). If Hogan's contract was modified would that have improved business at all? And if so, what areas could/should have been modified? Again, a VERY good opportunity to spur some discussion and get people talking and thinking, and yet it was totally passed by to go into a discussion about Raw ratings.

I listen to Joe vs. The World, Justin Shapiroshow, Squared Circle Gazette, PTBN Reaction Shows, and some others and I do it because these guys bring up a topic and go into an indepth and intresting discussion and all of them have good personalities that make me want to listen. At the end of the day if I want to hear some guys talk about wrestling- I can get that anywhere...its about the insight offered and the personality. Have your gimmick down.

Raw was a bad show. Okay. WHY? What didn't you like? What worked? Why did it work? Ratings are in the toliet? Why do you think that is? What can WWE do to turn it around? Again, this gets into a bigger discussion (another missed opportunity) of What can WWE do in the fall as ratings are always down this time of year.

WWE Q3 call was a reading of the bullet points captured by another blog. This is fine for your PERSONAL notes, but you (as a host) should listen to the call and have your own notes and talking points. What did YOU pull from the Q3? WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO YOU? Again, people aren't listening to podcasts just for the news, but for the insight. I want to know your thoughts and opinions on everything.

The HIAC review was-what-it-was, but could have been better by talking about the stories of the matches.

Smackdown was trash? Why? Should WWE get rid of Smackdown? Should WWE turn the annual Halloween Smackdown into Halloween Havoc? What do you think about WWE holiday shows in general? Again, you don't have to get on a long rant about it, but just saying it was TRASH leads me into more questions. Also there was a lot of 'this is cool' type of talk which is fine again if its just you and your buddy having a conversation, but as a podcast- it doesn't work. There needs to be substance.

BE PREPARED. All talking points, videos, links, things you want to reference- have them written down/pulled up on the screen. There was about nearly a minute or more of downtime as you were searching for PWG information. These are just random thoughts and things that stood out to me. I hope this information helps guide you to the gold you are looking for mate.

Twitter. For my hockey podcast I go on Twitter and interact a lot with the Blue Jackets community. My show isn't big but it's constantly growing and I've surpassed other Blue Jackets podcasts. I also get a lot of feedback via Twitter and even some Blue Jackets staff and beat writers have listened to my show and given me feedback.

I also read Tweets on the air and bring fans on the show and advertise it.

I echo bringing the fans into things. We built a very loyal and dedicated fanbase by involving them early and often, either with appearances, contests or just simply reading their feedback and making them part of the family.

As I've said to others in the past, get on all available platforms: iTunes, Stitcher, Google Music, Blackberry Podcasts, Microsoft Podcasts. There are plenty of resources online offering advice on how to grow your audience. Libsyn (fantastic host) do a series of podcasts talking about how to grow your audience.

Pimp your podcast out; get it on ALL forums that relate to Pro Wrestling, twitter, facebook page - Get it pimped out on news sites daily updates too, especially when you've got a guest like Bill Apter.

Create a reason for people to listen, as obvious as that sounds. No offence, but why would I want to listen to your opinons on RAW when I can go elsewhere for that? Get a USP, slant, angle.

I'm constantly doing research for my show and I think my mistake is that I get it from other sources. I probably need to take my own notes and give my opinion rather than someone else. I need that sort of critique because I'm trying to be different. I have the same one person telling me it's good but I want to get better at it. Thank you for listening and giving me these critiques because it's what I need. Maybe I should write or type my format and have it be shortened so I can expand on the points I make.

Make sure you have a consistent day of release. Fans will be forgiving if you lapse a few weeks due to scheduling conflicts, real life issues, etc (especially if you are up front about it) but don't have sudden and random release changes (unless you want to say toss up quickies every so often for the sake of breaking news or what not). You have a set day of release, stick to that day.

I also echo the relationship with the fanbase, even if you aren't going to read stuff on the air. You shouldd have presence on several platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, message boards (notice how many different boards SQG pulls their feedback from), etc) where you promote your show and cultivate a fanbase.

And to further that. You might have some tiny ass little podcast with 20 listeners but you are big to those listeners. Going out and interacting with them or mentioning them on air can be a big deal.

I legit had someone who was absolutely off the walls excited that I read their Tweet on the air when I had 5 listeners.

I'm constantly on twitter but I should be on more because if I'm tweeting during events or tweeting something wrestling related, I will get more traction. I'm also on my college's internet radio station and want to get live listeners as well. I know I don't advertise that end very well because I assume no one would want to listen live. Maybe I'm right or wrong but I'm not at a good timeslot, I'm on Fridays from 1-3 PM EST. Here's the site for live listening www.montcoradio.com and it has other stuff on there because it's a college station (it's based out of Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, PA outside of Philadelphia)

I talked to Rich Kraetch about this and he says having a presence on forums helps. Believe it or not Pete from PWO/PTBN was on my show and had such a good time that I was supposed to be the original co-host of This Week In Wrestling but that didn't work out. I've been trying to get on a network which would help my listenership but no way I'm getting on this one because of the amount of shows. But the problem with trying to get on a network is that most of them stream to their website and they want exclusive streaming rights but since I do the show at my college, I can't possibly give somebody that.

I have some pointers here, at least ones I've always held to myself. These aren't directed at anyone in particular, just things I'd recommend to anyone looking to make a podcast more successful.

1. USP. What is your unique selling point? When I started WTBBP, for example, I knew that the WWF PPVs chronologically had been done already -- by Scott and Justin on the Place to Be podcast -- but WCW PPVs had not been done. And that is still the only podcast on the net to start at Starrcade 83 and move forward. So there has to be a novel hook in and of itself around the show concept -- just "talking about wrestling" won't cut it, because well, Meltzer, Austin and so on are right there. Need to have something to make someone tune in, in the first place. In wrestling, modern WWE is going to be the most saturated area, and so to carve out a unique niche might be difficult.

2. Focus. So you've got them to actually listen through the USP, but then you have to actually get them to keep listening. I think a lot of people on homebrew shows spend too much time shooting the shit at the top -- I try to get down to business no later than 3 minutes in. Most people don't tune in to hear guys shooting the shit, they want actual content. So stick to the topic and stay focused on that topic. People have downloaded primiarily because of that USP, not because they want to hear your political views, how funny you are, or anything else.

3. Get the stuff over, not yourself over. Again, content is king, and that is the focus, your personality will come through naturally via discussion of that, but it is never the selling point of the show. Remember hardcore fans turned off Jim Cornette podcasts in their droves because he didn't understand this and point 2, and he's Jim Cornette. None of us are Jim Cornette.

4. Maintain good production values / audio quality. If you record in an actual radio studio, this won't be an issue, but as annoying as technical complaints are for podcast producers, if you can't spend the time trying to ensure the audio quality is as good as possible, then you can't expect people to spend their time listening.

5. Be consistent, keep going and don't obsess over listening numbers. The drive for doing a show should not be to grab listeners, it should first and foremost be because you enjoy doing it. If there is something worth listening to, it will find its audience. I have honestly maintained that I don't care at all how many people do and don't listen. Shows will find their natural audience. The one listener who actually cares about what you are discussing is probably worth more than 10 complete randoms. WTBBP has more than twice the listenership of All Japan Excite Series, for example, I don't care. I am having fun exploring 90s AJPW and those people who listen to that show de facto share that interest. Titans of Wrestling discusses an era and promotion that 90%+ of fans, hardcore or otherwise, do not give a shit about. It has still found an audience. But it's just plugging away.

-------------

I think advice out there tends to focus on marketing, visibility, social media and so on -- none of these things have ever been a core focus for PWO-PTBN Podcast Network, I mean there's a bit, but the core focus is on content and quality. I maintain that there's no point concentrating on marketing if the core product isn't worth listening to.

Anyway, just my two cents. People have different philosphies, but that's mine. "Success" is also relative. I'd rather have 10 dedicated listeners to 100 I never hear from. You aren't ever going to draw numbers like a Steve Austin.

• 1 month later...

An odd bump, but I been recently reminded of something I think all podcasters, or really anyone who expects to have audience participation as part of their thing (be it blog, vidcast, call in radio program, etc) should think about. And that is have the ability to reign in your feedbackers when it seems they are trying to get themselves over a bit too much for their own good, as well as the good of the show.

Perfect example is a rewatch show that just does feedback off of a "okay, we're recording now" tweet, and since they really don't seem to know the first thing of feedback control, will read just about anything that amuses them. Its fine at first, but now its become almost drinking game level proportions of EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME with jokes intended for the hosts to guffaw at. Even if it has literally nothing to do with the content of the shows they've watched that week.

I.e. a fan loves to rip on Lex Luger because he shares the same animosity towards Luger that the host does, will make a wise crack at Luger's expense, even if Luger had nothing much to do that given period that they covered for the episode. There is another one that for some reason keeps making wise cracks about Don West, granted West may have been awful, but why the need to constantly make jokes when he has nothing to do with the products.

You see the point. Its one thing to cultivate a community, but make sure they know there are limits of what they can and can't do when it comes to getting their feedback on the air. Find something consistent, and have your feedbackers stay on that target and make sure they don't put themselves over, at least too much anyway that it takes away from what you are discussing that episode (i.e. there is no need to say "would Don West have made that match more, or less boring" or "I want to (insert odd form of torture) Eric Bischoff/Lex Luger/Buff Bagwell, do you feel the same way" for the 34th consecutive time in your feedback to the show).

Anyway, just been reminded that all that is important if you are trying to build an audience, sometimes the amount spent on feedback on the actual show can affect someone's enjoyment of the episode as a whole.

I have some pointers here, at least ones I've always held to myself. These aren't directed at anyone in particular, just things I'd recommend to anyone looking to make a podcast more successful.

1. USP. What is your unique selling point? When I started WTBBP, for example, I knew that the WWF PPVs chronologically had been done already -- by Scott and Justin on the Place to Be podcast -- but WCW PPVs had not been done. And that is still the only podcast on the net to start at Starrcade 83 and move forward. So there has to be a novel hook in and of itself around the show concept -- just "talking about wrestling" won't cut it, because well, Meltzer, Austin and so on are right there. Need to have something to make someone tune in, in the first place. In wrestling, modern WWE is going to be the most saturated area, and so to carve out a unique niche might be difficult.

2. Focus. So you've got them to actually listen through the USP, but then you have to actually get them to keep listening. I think a lot of people on homebrew shows spend too much time shooting the shit at the top -- I try to get down to business no later than 3 minutes in. Most people don't tune in to hear guys shooting the shit, they want actual content. So stick to the topic and stay focused on that topic. People have downloaded primiarily because of that USP, not because they want to hear your political views, how funny you are, or anything else.

3. Get the stuff over, not yourself over. Again, content is king, and that is the focus, your personality will come through naturally via discussion of that, but it is never the selling point of the show. Remember hardcore fans turned off Jim Cornette podcasts in their droves because he didn't understand this and point 2, and he's Jim Cornette. None of us are Jim Cornette.

4. Maintain good production values / audio quality. If you record in an actual radio studio, this won't be an issue, but as annoying as technical complaints are for podcast producers, if you can't spend the time trying to ensure the audio quality is as good as possible, then you can't expect people to spend their time listening.

5. Be consistent, keep going and don't obsess over listening numbers. The drive for doing a show should not be to grab listeners, it should first and foremost be because you enjoy doing it. If there is something worth listening to, it will find its audience. I have honestly maintained that I don't care at all how many people do and don't listen. Shows will find their natural audience. The one listener who actually cares about what you are discussing is probably worth more than 10 complete randoms. WTBBP has more than twice the listenership of All Japan Excite Series, for example, I don't care. I am having fun exploring 90s AJPW and those people who listen to that show de facto share that interest. Titans of Wrestling discusses an era and promotion that 90%+ of fans, hardcore or otherwise, do not give a shit about. It has still found an audience. But it's just plugging away.

-------------

I think advice out there tends to focus on marketing, visibility, social media and so on -- none of these things have ever been a core focus for PWO-PTBN Podcast Network, I mean there's a bit, but the core focus is on content and quality. I maintain that there's no point concentrating on marketing if the core product isn't worth listening to.

Anyway, just my two cents. People have different philosphies, but that's mine. "Success" is also relative. I'd rather have 10 dedicated listeners to 100 I never hear from. You aren't ever going to draw numbers like a Steve Austin.

An odd bump, but I been recently reminded of something I think all podcasters, or really anyone who expects to have audience participation as part of their thing (be it blog, vidcast, call in radio program, etc) should think about. And that is have the ability to reign in your feedbackers when it seems they are trying to get themselves over a bit too much for their own good, as well as the good of the show.

Perfect example is a rewatch show that just does feedback off of a "okay, we're recording now" tweet, and since they really don't seem to know the first thing of feedback control, will read just about anything that amuses them. Its fine at first, but now its become almost drinking game level proportions of EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME with jokes intended for the hosts to guffaw at. Even if it has literally nothing to do with the content of the shows they've watched that week.

I.e. a fan loves to rip on Lex Luger because he shares the same animosity towards Luger that the host does, will make a wise crack at Luger's expense, even if Luger had nothing much to do that given period that they covered for the episode. There is another one that for some reason keeps making wise cracks about Don West, granted West may have been awful, but why the need to constantly make jokes when he has nothing to do with the products.

You see the point. Its one thing to cultivate a community, but make sure they know there are limits of what they can and can't do when it comes to getting their feedback on the air. Find something consistent, and have your feedbackers stay on that target and make sure they don't put themselves over, at least too much anyway that it takes away from what you are discussing that episode (i.e. there is no need to say "would Don West have made that match more, or less boring" or "I want to (insert odd form of torture) Eric Bischoff/Lex Luger/Buff Bagwell, do you feel the same way" for the 34th consecutive time in your feedback to the show).

Anyway, just been reminded that all that is important if you are trying to build an audience, sometimes the amount spent on feedback on the actual show can affect someone's enjoyment of the episode as a whole.

another major key to a successful podcast is not having huge gaps between podcasts. For instance I follow WTBBP but the turnaround now is just painfully slow that by the time you guys actually get into the period of time Im really interested in I could be in a retirement home. I understand hosts have lives to life but if youre not going to have the time to invest it would be better not pick such a large scale to cover

Both Chad and I have jobs that are prone to having very busy periods. I've also had a lot of other stuff on, which accounts for lack of Titans too (there were two times we were set to record when I had to bounce on the day). And I think obviously Chad becoming a dad has had a real impact on our schedule this year on top of all that.

I have some free time coming up so hopefully we will get some more out soon. The regular schedule is something I know I can't keep up with so it's why I've never promised it. I do hope 2016 will have some more frequency for my regular shows though. I've written two books this year. I don't plan on writing any next year.

-------------

I think I broke every single one of those rules with the Pro-Wrestling Super Show.