Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Cornette

Grimmas

I could see someone putting Cornette at 100 as an acknowledgement of what he was able to bring to the table when he was "forced" into a match. I agree that he was often presented too strong in SMW, but a part of that was out of necessity given the size of the crew in that promotion. I would also argue that his actual work in SMW was often very good, and not just in the sense that he had good working punches and could bump. The matches with Butch Cassidy, Cowabunga and others were well laid out, got a lot of time, and filled that time very well. The Cowabunga match in particular is a very good match, with great psych, good build and a nice mix of seriousness and highspots. You get the feeling watching this stuff that Cornette could have actually been a very strong wrestler just by having a command of the basics.

I also think he is sort of a provocative pick in the sense that I would listen to an argument that his managerial work should count. This argument has been made before in the WON HOF debates, but with the Midnights the act was really the Midnights AND Jim Cornette. Cornette had signature spots and interactions that were delivered in the vast majority of matches. It was not uncommon at all for the matches to revolve around interference from Corny and the subsequent payoff of a big Cornette bump. I am by no means saying that all managers work should be included but I think Cornette is a rare case where it doesn't seem like a completely absurd thing to suggest. I won't count it myself, but it's not something that I think can be dismissed out of hand.

I nominated Cornette partly in response to people's comments about the Ultimate Warrior and partly because he was so great at playing the role of a non-wrestler who has to wrestle. If people believe Warrior is a suitable candidate, that's fine, everyone has their own opinion, but Cornette could work circles around the guy. Better bumper, better seller, he even had better looking offense.

If you're placing Cornette on your list I feel like you'd have to have Heenan ahead of him. I've liked more Heenan matches (and I'm under the impression he wrestled more often) and he was a better bumper. Cornette is essential to the Midnights' act and I've certainly enjoyed his performances when placed in an actual match but, to me it's just obvious that Heenan brings more to the table as a wrestler.

As far as grasping what it took to put together a match and stepping right into it and performing at a relatively high level, yes. He did a lot with very little actual in-ring experience in contrast to someone like Warrior who wrestled hundreds of matches and was a full-time wrestler for years. Don't worry, Cornette isn't going to be on my list.