Pro Wrestling Only

Art Barr

Dylan Waco

Art's best quality was the ability to draw massive amounts of heat. I wish more of his work from Mexico was up but the guy seriously could get people to really hate him.

In ring, he was just as good if not better than Eddie during their tag run, I'm sure most people have seen the Worlds Collide match. He's he star there in my opinion. Great seller and bumper as well.

I want to share more of his work and let it speak for itself.

I was actually shocked he didn't have a thread already. I was a huge mark for The Juicer gimmick as a kid (god help me) and I like the glimpses of him in Portland we have as a completely unique (for that promotion) high flyer. Obviously if people are going to vote for him it'll be based on the Lucha run. I'm honestly not sure there is enough there to merit it, but he fits into the category of a true heatseeker, who was excellent at injecting his character into his matches. In that regard I'd argue he was a more dynamic Gino Hernandez which is kind of funny because there is someone I nominated today who I think is sort of on the opposite end of the Gino spectrum.

• 7 years later...

Couldn't help but think of Barr when re-nominating Pillman. Barr has the shortest career of anyone I'm strongly considering but I think his peak run is so great that I'll probably end up finding a spot for him. One of the great heels of his generation. 

A short career with an amazing peak but I think that a 7 year career isn't enough unless you were the best wrestler in the world for at least one of them. Maybe I'm being too harsh here, his AAA run was great. He was gone too soon, RIP Art Barr. An interesting what if in wrestling history.

• 8 months later...

I've never been a believer in Barr, even his lost potential in the States. He was small by US standards and wasn't an impossible to overlook athlete like Mysterio, Benoit and Guerrero, and he didn't have an in-ring mind like those three either. He got tons of heat as an anti-Mexico heel in AAA, but what did that prove? It never translated to anything for Ken Timbs. He could be a giant pain in the ass for promoters as well. I think to avoid getting lost in the shuffle he would have needed to demonstrate a knack for creating and refining a memorable character the way that Jericho and Pillman did, and I don't know if I'd bet on him having that ability. Even if he somehow survived 1994 and cleaned up, it would have been fairly likely, IMO, that he'd have ended up going back to AAA trying to recreate his 1993-94 run to diminishing returns every time. Maybe he'd have gotten a shot in the WWF lightheavy division.