Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-01-16-AWA-Winnipeg, MB] Ric Flair vs Nick Bockwinkel

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Nick Bockwinkel - AWA, Winnipeg 1/17/86

I would imagine that Bockwinkel was disappointed in this match and honestly so am I. It is a great and enjoyable match, but Flair is not very interested in working anything but his match. In his defense, he was in Winnipeg, a place that had never or rarely seen him so all his spots would be incredibly fresh. That being said he was going up against NICK FUCKING BOCKWINKEL!!! Not Rufus in the parking lot of a used car dealership in Bumblefuck, KS. We are joined in progress and miss about the first ten minutes. One of the first things we see is a beautiful, masterful drop toe hold into a leg lace. I am a mark for a good drop toe hold and Bockwinkel has the best. Flair is great at verbal selling. The entire leg work on Flair is the best part because it feels different and Flair is selling it so well. Bock thinks figure-4, but opts for the figure-4. I should mention Scott Hall is on commentary and he is actually pretty good. Bockwinkel goes for a splash and eats knees. Flair gets a double stomp in before his delayed vertical into the figure-4. The crowd is chanting Nick! Nick! Nick! Was there one specific angle where Nick Bockwinkel went from number one heel in the promotion to respected veteran? Nick reverses the pressure on Flair. Flair throws Bock out and is able to grab a sleeper. At some point, Bock even joins the "press slam Flair off the top rope" list. They go the tit for tat route with Bockwinkel using the figure-4, sleeper and throwing Flair out. Flair does sell the figure-4 for a while and it allows Bock to win a suplex struggle. Flair is not mailing this in at all. He is selling every single hold and he is bringing all his usual energy. It is just he is not trying anything outside his routine. They both tumble over the top rope and it is a double countout. Both men were clearly trying and putting out a lot of energy, but it felt like an exhibition. There was selling and good offense, but it just felt like fun. I am very glad it exists. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-01-16-AWA-Winnipeg, MB] Ric Flair vs Nick Bockwinkel