Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-03-13-AWA] Stan Hansen vs Leon White

Superstar Sleeze

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen vs Leon White - AWA 3/13/86

The first time I actually watched this match was in my dorm freshman year on ESPN Classic and for some reason, two or three dudes were watching with me. I remember describing Stan Hansen as such a sourpuss and how to watch because he will fucking hit the shit out of Vader (Leon White is Vader before he was Vader, it is just easier for me to type "Vader"). Much like the lone douche screaming "boring" they were not interested until the middle of the match and man did they all get behind Vader by the end of it. It was a pretty cool moment. I do disagree with my friends on one thing is that the whole match was awesome from beginning to end.

The whole bout is dripping with struggle. They lock up with such force. Vader takes most of the beginning with a nice side headlock. They do some fun "in and out" spots from headlock base like Vader cartwheeling over a Hansen drop down back into headlock. Hansen is always struggling in the headlock, nice crossface and dropping some nasty knees. They start laying into each other and Hansen really rears back and hits him hard forearm. Hansen takes him down with an armbar and then he starts manipulating fingers. Vader is hollering. Some really nice selling from Vader. Hansen destroys the hand, stomps on it, snapping fingers and smashing hand against hard objects. The fight on the outside was wicked. Vader punches Hansen in the throat and some great selling. They tease double countout. Vader has a really nice offensive stretch late with tackles and body splashes. He charges into the turnbuckle hard and then Hansen TAKES HIS HEAD OFF WITH A LARIAT!!! AWESOME FINISH!

Great, great veteran champion versus young, upcoming rookie. Perfect layout with strong execution, lots of struggle, brutal and the finish was badass. Great, great TV! ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-03-13-AWA] Stan Hansen vs Leon White