Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-09-28-AWA-Superclash '85] Ric Flair vs Magnum T.A.

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Magnum TA - AWA Superclash 9/28/85

The definitive Flair/Magnum match actually comes in the AWA as Flair goes on tour, but instead of facing the local hero he brings along the Carolina's hero. I am glad this exists because there is a really good TV match between the two, but due to the injury there was never a long house show match between the two that made the tape.

As much as I like Flair (which is a lot) and I have thought about his character and working style a lot, I am not sure when the Flair formula match was developed, refined and applied. Around this time, Flair was working with Nikita Koloff, which leads me to believe that Flair was getting more accustomed to developing a layout that would entertain the crowd and allow him to treat his opponents as interchangeable parts. That being said, there are plenty of instances after this point where Flair has badass matches, I just think it comes more prevalent. I say all this because this is the Flair broomstick match. I think what Magnum brings to this match is great punches and good babyface charisma, but this is not much different from the Sting match. The biggest deviation is how well Flair works the arm so it is Flair himself that is causing the biggest departure. They do the standard Flair chain wrestling with Mags getting the best of him. Magnum hits a dropkick and press slams Flair. Flair begs off and gets some rabbit punches in to break up an armbar. He throws Magnum out and he storms back in pissed about the rabbit punches. He rifles Flair with punches to face. He goes for a dropkick, but he misses. Flair is at his offensive best here. He really kicked some ass: kneedrop, butterfly suplex and ab stretch. Flair misses second kneedrop, which actually sets up the Magnum figure-4. I really like that Flair cant win the subsequent suplex struggle because of knee. Flair gouges the eye and rams Mags shoulder first into the post. Some really nice Flair arm work in this segment that feels really different. Magnum uses a sleeper as a hope spot. Flair gets worried at this sign of life and Flair hits a kneecrusher and applies the figure-4. Magnum is able to reverse the pressure.

Time for Flair to get his ass kicked. Flair flip and face smashed into post. Flair blades to add some drama. Flair goes into full frenzy mode, but cant get anything going. Magnum hit belly 2 belly, but the ref gets bumped and only counts for two. They do an O'Connor Roll reversal and Flair gets the trunks.

It is a very entertaining and strong Flair-based match. Flair gave a really strong performance. This made Magnum just look there. Flair fans will love this. Flair detractors probably will not. Does feel routine. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1985-09-28-AWA-Superclash '85] Ric Flair vs Magnum T.A.