Pro Wrestling Only

Exile on Badstreet #19 (The Life & Times of Nick Bockwinkel) (Featuring Kevin Cerrutti & Dylan Hales)

KrisZ

tumblr_m8ts9mpZjX1rar9bno1_500.png

Kris is joined by Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture) & Kevin Cerrutti (AWA Wrestling Historian Khawk) to discuss the career of Nick Bockwinkel. We go in depth about all the trials and tribulations of Nick’s career especially all the places he went as AWA Champion truly making it a world title. We also go over all of the great opponents he faced as champion and talk about his legendary tag team with Ray Stevens and partnership with Bobby Heenan which turned the AWA on it’s head. We also talk about some lesser known angles in Bock’s career especially one involving Gordon Solie which is a must listen. Sit under the learning tree with us because this is a must listen.

http://placetobenation.com/exile-on-badstreet-19-the-life-times-of-nick-bockwinkel/

Two shows on a Monday....fuck yes....one issue...its during a short week....only 3 days of driving back and forth to get as much in as I can..

Damn you Thanksgiving weekend...

Started in on the Bock show, 40 min and didnt wanna stop...cant wait to hear the rest of my personal pick for best ever...

I cut this from the Bockwinkel RIP thread, I was about to talk about this at the very end, when we got cut off, to close the show...

Back about a decade ago (maybe a little more even), I sent a tape of some of Bock's matches to a friend that lived in Vegas to give to Nick at one of the CAC weekends that he was going to. Nick actually took the time to videotape a personalized thank you note to me after he got the tape from my friend, on the spot, in the middle of everything else he was involved with at the CAC.

Extremely classy to do something like that and it confirmed that his style and class wasn't just an act, it was a real thing.

RIP Champ.

A few little things, been listening to this on and off for the best part of a week.

- Dylan, you mentioned that Arn Anderson is really the only other guy who gets that sense of legitimacy across but watching 85 Crockett on the network, I was reminded again at how tremendous Ole Anderson was in that respect. Would you put Ole in the with Arn and Nick or a notch below?

- Regarding the Flair vs. Bock match the the shoehorning of that backslide into a bridge spot. I am not a huge fan of that spot, and so I tend to notice it ... And basically, I think it's a Dory Funk Jr spot, and then Brisco, Terry Funk, Harley and Flair ALL did it in their various defences. Like a very staple "go to" to eat up two minutes or so. I wonder if it was less a staple of working Ric's match and more a staple of an NWA title match. I mean they'd shoehorn Baba into that spot. It seems like it was such a standard thing that they maybe wouldn't even consider the possibility of not doing it.

I really enjoyed the show. It was a great retrospective of how great Nick really was. I recommend that those who haven't seen them search out Bockwinkel's post retirement matches against Dory and Robinson. They aren't much to really write home about, particularly the Robinson match. But it's amazing how Nick was still able to be so smooth after years of inactivity.

I think if the desire was there, Nick could have still gone until the mid 90s at a very high level.

Finished this yesterday. I thought it was excellent, that Kevin was a fresh voice on these and so full of context and information, and also great insight into the mentality of an AWA fan of the era, even in just his tone. If anything, I wish the show had more time, to go even more in depth. I'd be really interested to hear you guys do a focus on Mad Dog Vachon with him at some point, for instance.

Again, just a great job from everyone. The only major thing I'd amend, was Dylan, towards the end talking about how much joy babyface Bock had. I really think that's something you see in his heel work as well, especially when he's not up against the monsters like Verne or Hogan. There's a glee in him punishing or showing up other wrestlers.

This was wicked awesome. Kris narrated the story well and guided the listener year by year, Dylan filled in with well-founded opinions and kHawk was straight cash money in one of the single greatest podcast appearances of all time. The perspective as a fan who grew up watching all this was completely invaluable.

I just wrapped up the four major Bock/Hennig matches from 86/87 and one the major themes I was going to write about in my reviews was exactly what Dylan points out in how how much you see Hennig progress in each of these matches and how he gets closer and closer, but also becomes more and more disillusioned with the system. Ultimately, I am in love with the heel turn and I will explain that in that match review, but Bock/Hennig feud is an all-timer no doubt.

Really great stuff!