Pro Wrestling Only

Survivor series 87 tag team match vs 88

Judy Bagwell

which match was better? which year showcased a better group of teams?

I lean toward 88, I hated the Dream team of Bravo and Valentine in 87, hated Rougeaus as a face team and didnt enjoy seeing Jim Powers given a lot of ring time

88 had the Brainbusters and the Rockers but did have the dubious double turn and the Conquistadors kicking out of everything

anyway, thoughts?

I'm going to go 88, one of my favourite matches growing up, and the reason I'm still a big Powers of Pain fan to this day. I actually enjoyed the Conquistadors defying the odds and somehow surviving until the end (and clearly hoping the PoP would get counted out at the end when they're attending to Fuji). It also featured my quintessential Tully Blanchard moment, as he tags in, realises he in the ring with (I believe) one of the PoP and does this hilarious sneaky walk over to the Demos to tag out.

Anyone who is a UK wrestling fan should have a soft spot for the 88 one, mainly because of this:

Nostalgia

I end up coming across this video every year or so and it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

I had UK and Spanish versions of Coliseum tapes back in the day, and in the Spanish we had this same intro with a dude saying the same stuff and even mimicking the tone of the English version.

I'll go 88 fairly comfortably. Neither match has any kind of story, rhyme or reason - the charm of the match is that pace that can be worked with the frequent tags, and there are a couple of spots in 87 when it gets down to the nitty gritty where that pace slows down, and it kind of spotlights that the match doesn't have a deep substance to it. With 88 the pace stays strong, and by the time we get to the last few teams, they put a story in there (the double-turn) to keep you into it, which the previous year didn't really have.

88 for me, partly because it's the only chance of seeing a Arn & Tully/Bulldogs match. The Demolition/Powers of Pain switch never seemed like it really worked with the crowd that night, as I think POP are still getting cheered as they walk out with Fuji.

But I recently re-discovered the 87 match and it's really nothing to sneeze at either. More from a historic standpoint now, but I get what the OP is saying in terms of how it really didn't go anywhere in terms of booking. Strike Force not getting much time in the match and getting beat cleanly was particularly strange.

• 7 months later...