Pro Wrestling Only

The Lapsed Fan Starrcade

My "masturbatory tripe" comment was a bit much, so I apologize. To each their own. I'm just not a fan of pods that put hyping themselves over the content. But what do I know, I only listened to the first 10 minutes

I think that really evolved into their thing, more work than shoot. They got a lot of shit on the F4W board when it first started, so they did a lot of it to troll them. Jack is a legit great serious MMA journalist/podcast host (which is how they got Meltzer), but he just fucks around on TLF. Also, the show is basically one big inside joke at this stage, so 10 minutes makes it really hard to get that stuff. Obviously, that's not going to be everyone's type of show.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan who's listened to most of the Lapsed casts in their entirety: oh yeah, they do totally devolve into masturbatory tripe at times. They spend an unholy amount of time on their self-indulgent tangents and running inside jokes. Especially when they go into the egomaniacal "we give you what you need" rants for minutes on end. That kind of bullshit is the worst aspect of the show, and it sadly it makes up about half the running time.

Masturbatory tripe for those who lap up the WWE version of wrestling history and ask for more

This is the bit I don't understand. For all the Wrestlemania and Starrcade shows, they bring in Meltzer to do ten or twenty minutes of setup, talking about all the backstory and behind-the-scenes events which led to these shows happening the way they did. That's not even close to being WWE revisionist history.

Hey, I'm going on 10 minutes and that was the impression I got

If you do get through the 84 podcast give us a proper review, I know its an investment of time but surely its a better way to gauge a podcast. There are a lot of podcasts that are "lightweight" but still a decent listen

So Judy by this last statement I'd assume you are one of the lapsed fans. By using the term us. To me the whole thread is kind of disingenuous. Do what everyone else who does a podcast and post their podcast here on the board. Post it and let people comment.

As a fan who's listened to most of the Lapsed casts in their entirety: oh yeah, they do totally devolve into masturbatory tripe at times. They spend an unholy amount of time on their self-indulgent tangents and running inside jokes. Especially when they go into the egomaniacal "we give you what you need" rants for minutes on end. That kind of bullshit is the worst aspect of the show, and it sadly it makes up about half the running time.

Masturbatory tripe for those who lap up the WWE version of wrestling history and ask for more

This is the bit I don't understand. For all the Wrestlemania and Starrcade shows, they bring in Meltzer to do ten or twenty minutes of setup, talking about all the backstory and behind-the-scenes events which led to these shows happening the way they did. That's not even close to being WWE revisionist history.

Don't suppose anyone trims it down to the good stuff? 4 hours is a long time if half of it is horseshit.

The problem is, to do such a breakdown on Lapsed Fan would look something like:

2:32:45: they start to talk about Tito Santana vs the Executioner

2:33:20: they stop talking about the actual match, for one guy to go off on a tangent about the Executioner's prematch promo

2:37:15: they finally start talking about the match again

2:37:50: they stop talking about the match, start doing impressions of Vince McMahon threatening to rape Tito's wife and murder his children

2:43:30: they finally start talking about the match again

2:44:05: they stop talking about the match, start speculating on the geography of Parts Unknown

2:47:55: they finally start talking about the match again

2:48:10: they stop talking about the match, start doing impressions of a neurotic Hogan being paranoid about people wanting to roll him up from behind

2:51:00: they finally start talking about the match again

2:51:35: they stop talking about the match, start doing impressions of Patterson trying to talk Vince out of literally decapitating a wrestler on live PPV

2:55:25: they finally start talking about the match again

2:55:40: they stop talking about the match, start talking about Hasbro action figures

2:59:40: they finally start talking about the match again

3:00:00: the match is over, they spend the next five minutes bragging about being the greatest podcast on the internet

Thanks for the breakdown though Jingus.

To be clear, that's not a real breakdown, I just made it up. But the show often feels like it's going exactly how I described it there. They've got plenty of good wrestling talk, but the show tends to be filled up with even more random tangents where they're just trying to crack themselves up with their impressions and jokes.

its a podcast though, if I wanted a straight rundown of the match Id watch the match, the detours and ad libbing is something I listen to a podcast for. If it was mapped out and perfectly calibrated whats the point? a lot of wrestling podcasts need to loosen up and have fun, I knew nothing about Starrcade 84 before I started their podcast and by the end of it I was buzzing with all the details and intrique of the event

I only listened to the first 10 minutes out of curiosity, but the dude's Vince wasn't as good as he thought it was and the Flair wasn't worth snickering over. I doubt either of them were alive in 1984, though, so they're hardly going to have nostalgia for what was a fucking awesome year. I didn't realise Judy Bagwell was a Kiwi until I read this thread. I miss the days of getting wrestling news from The Truth and the TV guide, bubble gum cards, action cards and cheap knockoff sweaters. If your dad bought you the official WWF magazine from a stationary shop in the late 80s you were the coolest kid in school for a day. I still remember the used book stores being fill of comic books and Apter mags. It was sad when those stores closed one by one.

85 Starrcade has just gone up

its 6 and a half hrs long so Ill give it a listen at work today and get back to you guys on what I thought

I only listened to the first 10 minutes out of curiosity, but the dude's Vince wasn't as good as he thought it was and the Flair wasn't worth snickering over. I doubt either of them were alive in 1984, though, so they're hardly going to have nostalgia for what was a fucking awesome year. I didn't realise Judy Bagwell was a Kiwi until I read this thread. I miss the days of getting wrestling news from The Truth and the TV guide, bubble gum cards, action cards and cheap knockoff sweaters. If your dad bought you the official WWF magazine from a stationary shop in the late 80s you were the coolest kid in school for a day. I still remember the used book stores being fill of comic books and Apter mags. It was sad when those stores closed one by one.

I miss the Truth I came of age reading that paper, even if at times I needed shower after consuming it. The TV guide was the go to for WWF results for sure I had a WWF magazine subscription in 89-90 and it wasnt cheap either. First time I remembered WWF on screen here it was a Superstars where Hacksaw was being choked out by Andre. We owned a video store and WM4 was the first event we had on VHS

Lapsed Vince is the greatest podcast character ever. You can't listen to this podcast if you want everything to be serious, but if you are like me and want your entertainment to be entertaining you may just like it.

Pretty much my stance on it, as well. I rarely ever agree with their wrestling takes (the standard Meltzer takes - Angle, Michaels, Malenko, etc, are great workers and stuff like that), but I laugh my ass off at the inside jokes every week. If you're hyper PC (like a grimmas-type, as an example), you're going to hate it so don't even bother. If you think wrestling is generally a ridiculous/absurd thing that you can simultaneously love and point and laugh at, it is more up your alley. I guess I have kind of always thought the very idea of wrestling podcasts is masturbatory tripe. What I look for in a pod is something that will make me laugh or make me learn. If you don't do that, I don't listen beyond one episode.

85 Starrcade has just gone up

its 6 and a half hrs long so Ill give it a listen at work today and get back to you guys on what I thought

I miss the Truth I came of age reading that paper, even if at times I needed shower after consuming it. The TV guide was the go to for WWF results for sure I had a WWF magazine subscription in 89-90 and it wasnt cheap either. First time I remembered WWF on screen here it was a Superstars where Hacksaw was being choked out by Andre. We owned a video store and WM4 was the first event we had on VHS

The first episode of Suoerstars I saw had Hacksaw fight Andre and attack him with the 2x4 afterwards. I remember getting into the Summer Slam '88 build and then seeing the Beefcake/Outlaw Ron Bass angle and being hooked. I can still remember Hogan showing up after his hiatus and having no idea who he was.