Pro Wrestling Only

The Lapsed Fan Starrcade

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened for the first time. I went into this hoping to like it. The nature of my job allows me to listen to audio all day long if I choose, so I'm always on the look out for more podcasts. Here's my take:

Six hours of self-indulgent, masturbatory shite. Just because the show is long as fuck, it doesn't make it a "deep dive". The analysis on offer, when they finally get around to actually discussing the topic, is high school level at best. There are plenty of podcasts out there who do a far better job in a quarter of the time.

Even though the attempts at humor always fall flat, it did make me laugh how they are constantly reading out feedback that has nothing to do with the topic, but everything to do with themselves. There was literally no point bringing up most of this stuff other than to pat themselves on the back and say "See, at least some people like us".

The total lack of self-awareness was astounding at times. There are plenty of podcasts that go off on long tangents, but usually the hosts have the personality to carry it. Not here.

I'm not even going to pretend I listened to the whole thing, but I listened to more than enough to make a fair judgement. Put this one in the file marked 'Aubrey Sittington'.

I'm hearing it now, and this is just pathetically whiny. The very definition of thin-skinned amateurism that can't handle criticism without childishly lashing out at their critics. I turned the show off, their tendency to double-down on their own arrogance and self-indulgence when called out on it is the worst part of this show and it's nigh unlistenable. Especially since they DO three or four of the five things that Parv suggested in the "how to do a good cast" thread, and then mock him (complete with silly voices, the best indicator of "I don't have a good argument here") for suggesting the exact same shit that they do on their own show.

I turned it off as well. I have listened to almost all their shows as I found it useful at the gym as their banter does not require constant attention. However, I found this pretty disrespectful in this instance. I know they kid around a lot, but it did seem pretty petty especially since they ask for donations and receive pay via patreon to do their podcasts, and people here are volunteering their time.

I simply did not see the need in calling out people who are donating their time on here giving advice to a college kid looking to grow a podcast, which I believe was the original poimt of that thread.

In comparison, I definitely learn more from a 90 minute WTBPP podcast than from their podcast.

I am not trying to be critical, but with their banter I often lose track of what match they are discussing or who won. Like I mentioned above, it is good for when I cannot give it my entire focus, but not when I want to learn something or hear analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand how WWE centric their view of everything is especially framing the entire opinion of Garvin on 1 appearance in the Royal Rumble

They never claim to have an extensive knowledge of pro wrestling, so when theyre going through these Starrcades, its through new eyes. which I find refreshing

IMO these guys week by week put out the most entertaining show, they know how to have a bit of fun

people might criticise their constant detouring, I fucking love that shit. One of my favorite podcasts on PTBN was then they sat down and watched Heroes of wrestling, that motherfucking show was all over the place but it was awesome listening.

I actually listen to the show pretty regularly, and even shows with hosts I absolutely love and respect can upset me at times because my biggest pet peeve, in any media, is when someone is ignorant to a topic but openly talks about it with over confidence and fervor. Playing a brass, cocky, and meglomaniacal "character" publicly is commonly the trapping of a person with severe low self-esteem and insecurities. These guys can be fun at times but their long diatribes about how their personal opinions are fact and that I need to lick the sweat off the bottoms of their feet to be a fully formed and actualize human being becomes sad at times when you realize that it's coming from the same guys that feel the need lurk this board to target anyone that says anything even slightly negative about them.

Can't wait to hear them "eviscerate" this post with the same mundane and juvenile put downs and baseless threats they are accustomed to use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...