Pro Wrestling Only

The Lapsed Fan Starrcade

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont fear growth Parv

Nirvana could have released Bleach again and again and that audience would have been content forever, but they went back to the studio and produced Nevermind and helped change the face of popular music

Sure Kurt ended up blowing his brains out but we ended up with In Utero

let me try another analogy...

Having listened to all the WTBBP and many of the Lapsed Fan podcasts, I do think they cater to different audiences, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am not sure why such a big deal is being made of it Judy, but maybe you can clarify.

There are certainly crossover listeners, but I find WTBBP focuses more on analysis whereas The Lapsed Fan adds an entertainment aspect with imitations and can float off the topic at hand often.

If you actually listen to the early Lapsed Fan podcasts, there is a lot less schtick, and the podcasts are much shorter. Over time, they found their groove in long form podcasts with lots of humor, imitations, and sexual references.

Again, there is nothing wrong with either format, and from the way I read it, Parv accepts the fact their podcast may never grow beyond a certain listenership, and he is fine with that.

Personally, I prefer WTBBP because they are going in chronological order so tracking storyline progression is a lot easier and more accurate.

I also tire of hearing all the sex stuff on the Lapsed Fan, when after six or seven hours, I wish they would just focus on the match, but again that's my preference. Nonetheless, the Lapsed Fan guys deserve credit for all their hard work and building up a loyal fan base.

It simply ends up being a personal choice of what you want to listen to. Crossover fans exist, but there are definitely distinguishable fans as well that I think make up a majority of each show's fan base.

I also think Judy you commented in the past that you wish that WTBBP would produce content more often, and the Lapsed Fan deserves credit for producing 3-4 podcasts a month, but there is certainly more of an obligation from the Lapsed Fan as they have their Patreon supporters. I haven't looked recently, but the one time I had looked, they were earning around $1000 a month from Patreon supporters so, at this point, it is obligatory to maintain support in the long run.

If a group of people offered to donate via Patreon to WTBBP I am sure the podcast numbers would increase, but I don't think they want that obligation, and I am fine with Parv and Chad putting out new episodes whenever they have time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

and it comes to a close 2000 now up

8 hrs of greatness, this Starrcade series has been an incredible ride. Best cast going

They did an 8 hour podcast on Starrcade 2000? Why?

because they broke down the year 2000 as well leading into the event. The real question is given the topic how did they keep it to 8 hours

This show has been fantastic and finished fantastic on the tour. Starrcade 1999 and 2000 were incredibly frustrating shows, but that's captured in these past few pods. They really dived deep and ahrd, and by the end exposed the Russo charlatan BS and all the other big miscues WCW made.

They really dived deep and ahrd, and by the end exposed the Russo charlatan BS and all the other big miscues WCW made.

"Exposed"? That would imply that nobody else has ever complained about any of that at any point in the past two decades.

Not really, that's not what that word necessarily entails, but I take your point.

• 2 weeks later...

Can a mod re-name this thread now that the Starrcade tour has wrapped?

Anybody else on the board still listen to these? Seems like the chatter really slowed down after some people took offense to how Jack and JP ruthlessly went at some criticism from these boards--criticism I didn't agree with and some of which, imo, was trolling--but that's neither here nor there.

Over the Edge 1999 was a great pod. Excellent stuff with the Martha book excerpts, and Jack and JP really struck the right tonal balance for the show. Much more class rather than half class, half crass. I just wrapped up the Survivor Series 1991 pod, and it's another good show. The PPV not so much--I think they might have been a bit generous seeing as this is in their nostalgia sweet spot--but they're right about how a lot of the interviews are quite good, and one example of how "it used to be better." There's also some good stuff about how developed and character driven Undertaker was at this point, although that would continue to grow and improve. If I didn't live in a big city with longer commutes, between this pod and between the sheets, I'd have a really hard time listening to everything while also having a life and enjoying pro wrestling too.

Anybody else on the board still listen to these? Seems like the chatter really slowed down after some people took offense to how Jack and JP ruthlessly went at some criticism from these boards--criticism I didn't agree with and some of which, imo, was trolling--but that's neither here nor there.

I don't think the chatter slowing had anything to do with the digs that were made at this board or some posters on here, and I for one found it pretty laughable that they clearly cared so much about the criticism that they received on here.

I had never heard of the podcast before someone started this thread, tried to listen to an episode and thought it was awful. Overly long, way too much filler, could've done with an editor, not as funny as the hosts clearly think it is, subject matter that has been done to death and is hardly unique or new, I could go on. Issues that quite a few seemed to have with it. If it wasn't for their one man advertising squad that is Judy Bagwell constantly bumping this thread it would be pages down by now.

I don't think anyone here who was "ruthlessly" attacked by these clowns "took offense" to the criticism because they don't listen to this show to begin with. The chatter subsided because Judy was shown the door for being a dumbass and nobody else cares enough to pimp this crap, BrianB excluded