Pro Wrestling Only

[1974-03-19-NJPW] Andre the Giant vs Seiji Sakaguchi

Grimmas

Watching Andre is always a joy and this is a younger and in good shape Andre in a cowboy vest.

Early on we are going through armlocks and standing counter wrestling. Andre is pretty good at this and it's real neat to see a situation where normally the guy would be tripped and brought to the mat, but with Andre being so big it just slows the momentum and leans him back a little.

Seiji starts to pick up the pace with a barrage of chops and slaps, which are sold well, but one Andre headbutt and Seiji goes down. I love these moments in Andre matches where it shows how much of a force he is.

Back to holds and Seiji goes for a grab the head with the legs and flip him over move only to be slammed. Andre works the arm more, but Seiji grabs the head again with the legs and can get him over this time because Andre was already leaning. Such a cool spot.After a bit of the submission Andre reach the ropes and Seiji doesn't let him up but hits a barrage of MMA type knees. Like in UFC when you try to keep someone down.

Actually there is great struggle in this match. You wouldn't compare it to MMA, but there is that essence of it being a fight but with wrestling moves.

Big bump by Andre over the top, such a great contrast to his bump in 1989 Survivor Series.

.Seiji from there has Andre hurt and is trying to figure out a way to put away the Giant, but stay away. Adds great drama, until an Andre big boot and big splash gets two. Seji is able to get Andre tied up in the ropes and just nails him, until Andre's manager pulls him out of the ring.

From there the manager slaps the shit out of him and Andre comes over and holds him to do that. That gives the double countout. Post match Seiji makes a comeback and celebrates his draw.

Really awesome stuff and it's fun to see Andre do these more traditional matches, but with the giant twist.

• GSR changed the title to [1974-03-19-NJPW] Andre the Giant vs Seiji Sakaguchi
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble finding much from 70s NJ online but I'm two matches in with Sakaguchi and I really like this dude. Sakaguchi does this thing where he almost gasses himself out with the head scissors as he desperately tries to submit Andre. I appreciate seeing stuff that hints at that type of thing on something that's even a decade pre-UWF. Andre comes across as a monster but he's overwhelmed by the faster, more technical Sakaguchi. Andre going out the ring after getting chopped is great. Generally, having Sakaguchi work on top rather than get beat down by the giant feels very smart. Andre taking the count out loss while the manager slaps Sakaguchi is that pure uncut old school wrestling shit. Pure fun.