NXT

• Please log in to reply
1086 replies to this topic

#41 dexstar

dexstar
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Really wanted to go to NXT Detroit. Tickets sold out in like a nanosecond. Anyone going to a show on this upcoming tour?

#42 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

I tried to get tickets to TakeOver in Dallas on Wrestlemania weekend. Same thing.

#43 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

The Chicago show sold out 1500 tickets in a minute. Would of been fun to check out live. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

#44 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:13 AM

So what feuds are we going to have now? They teased Asuka and Nia Jax, but it's a bit of a strange pairing because Asuka is on her way up to a title shot and Nia Jax is on her way down. Who does Bayley feud with? I assume they're going to do a short TV program before building up something big for the Wrestlemania weekend show.

On the men's side, it looks like Baron Corbin will be getting a title program soon. Do they move right to that and leave the Joe rematch for later? Sami Zayn is back and Hideo Itami is hopefully coming back soon. Do the tag champs move onto the potentially hot feud with Jordan and Gable? If so, what do Enzo and Cass do?

#45 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

Why did they put Nia Jax in a title match so early in her run instead of doing a longer buildup to it?

#46 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Why did they put Nia Jax in a title match so early in her run instead of doing a longer buildup to it?

They didn't have much choice, their female roster is incredibly thin.

#47 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone know how they are recruiting women now? I'm certain they've evolved past John Laurinitis flipping through bikini catalogs, but I have no idea where they are finding talent.

#48 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7884 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Does anyone know how they are recruiting women now? I'm certain they've evolved past John Laurinitis flipping through bikini catalogs, but I have no idea where they are finding talent.

Seems to be mostly international girls that worked Shimmer.

#49 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Outback Jack is a recruiter.

#50 jcmmnx

jcmmnx
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Athena should step right in, and be near the top of the women's division when they debut her. I imagine Joe/Itami will be the program for Hideo when he comes back. I seem to remember those two working like they really didn't like each other in ROH. Balor/Corbin will probably be at the February Takeover with Balor/Zayn the most likely main event for Dallas with Bayley vs Asuka close behind. I think Cass & Enzo vs Jordan and Gable would be a pretty big match if they want to run it, but if not Jordan and Gable beating Dash/Dawson in Dallas for the belts would be fine.

Crews is the wild card here I'm sure they're high on him, but I haven't been that impressed. Crews vs Balor or Corbin for the belt does nothing for me. Corbin beating Balor and defending against Sami would be pretty sweet. Also I need to see a Joe/Zayn match while Joe is on fire.

#51 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

The rumor was that they wanted to give Eva Marie a title shot, which they did technically do. If she had worked out better in the wrestling role then they might've waited until London for that match.

Even though it was better than I expected going in, I'm disappointed in the Nia Jax match because they only get one chance to do that first match between the two and the first loss for Nia.

#52 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 3821 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

Asuka Vs. Nia Jax or Asuka Vs. Bayley would both be matches I would be interested in seeing. Nia Jax Vs. Bayley in a rematch I would be fine with as well. I think Dana Brooke is improving a lot too. Watching Emma & Dana try to thwart Nia Jax would also be entertaining.

Despite losing some talent to the main roster, the NXT women still feel fine to me. As mentioned, they can still debut Athena too.

#53 Quentin Skinner

Quentin Skinner
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:19 PM

As far as the NXT women go, Athena should be put on TV somewhat soon to help them out depth wise. I'd hope maybe by April. Then the have the other women they have been putting focus on in jobber capacities like Billie Kay and Peyton Royce. They're getting built slowly but show potential. Nikki Storm was rumored months ago to have signed.

#54 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

They seem to have the same approach as the men. Mix of indy workers and raw recruits that fit their typical sterotypes. I wouldn't say that they've completely left their old ways behind. Liv Morgan/Gionna Daddio use to work for Hooters. Carmella was a cheerleader for the Patriots and Lakers, Dana Brooke was a bodybuilder, and Alexa Bliss did both of those. Even with her family background, Nia Jax is a former model.

#55 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2788 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

Watching the start of the latest NXT and you have a 4-way tag match with a super hot crowd, where every team is over, and it struck me, is NXT the hottest a wrestling "promotion" has been on a national level since about 2000 and the peak of the Attitude Era? Granted it is on a small scale, but there is just such a buzz around NXT right now and a feeling that this is, dare I say, cool in a way it seems pro wrestling hasn't been in ages. Pretty much everyone on the roster top to bottom is over, very reminiscent of Attitude Era WWF

#56 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:55 AM

Watching the start of the latest NXT and you have a 4-way tag match with a super hot crowd, where every team is over, and it struck me, is NXT the hottest a wrestling "promotion" has been on a national level since about 2000 and the peak of the Attitude Era? Granted it is on a small scale, but there is just such a buzz around NXT right now and a feeling that this is, dare I say, cool in a way it seems pro wrestling hasn't been in ages. Pretty much everyone on the roster top to bottom is over, very reminiscent of Attitude Era WWF 

I'm usually not a fan of 4-way tag matches, but I really got into this. Jordan & Gable are so incredibly over. Most of the match was between Jordan & Gable and BAMF. I like how the announcers actually sold the ref distraction from Alexa Bliss. I feel like if that happened on the main roster they'd probably wouldn't even be talking about the match. Jordan & Gable have to get a big match on the next Takeover.

#57 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

I think if nothing else, NXT has established themselves as a place where people can see the best wrestling show that is not overly micromanaged (like WWE) or horribly mismanaged (like TNA). This is the hottest ticket in town when it comes to pro wrestling right now. And there is actually this implicit level of trust because these guys aren't going anywhere because it IS the top wrestling promotion...even if they are cosplaying an indie fed. The money isn't gonna run out like other companies like ECW faced. The WWE knows how to extend this property out properly...at least for now.

#58 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

I'm at the point where I haven't enjoyed anything as much as NXT since 2004-2008 ROH. And I have my least interest in WWE since the HHH 20 minute promo days of 2003. It's funny the comparison has already been made because the crowd responses for Gable/Jordan and Zayn brought Attitude flashbacks.

#59 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

The Observer this week (copied by all of the newz sitez) mentions that there are people in the WWE worried about the prospects of Bálor and Bayley on the main roster.

The worries about Bálor are that his past experiences and age combined with main event matches on the NXT touring schedule will break him down too much and limit his shelf-life.

The prospects for Bayley are considered to be extremely bimodal; she will either flounder or become a huge star in the "female John Cena" role. She currently has a "big sister" appeal to young girls, and she may outgrow that unless they pull the trigger on bringing her up soon.

Personally, I don't think either of them have any chance on the main roster at the moment. Bálor's been having good matches, but he's missing a certain something. Someone on the PWO reaction shows (I forget who) summed it up well: he's never really felt like the central focus of NXT. If they do the demon gimmick with the head dress on the main roster, then they're going to have to be more polished and they're going to need to use it more sparingly.

Even putting WWE's booking woes in the women's division aside, bringing Bayley up is an interesting booking challenge. How do you repeat the underdog story when a substantial portion of the audience has already seen it in the same company?

#60 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

It's not like anyone expects Sami Zayn to get called up as a guy who is an offensive dynamo that invokes fear in his opponents. Zayn plays an underdog in NXT and will most certainly be an underdog when called up and he has the right charisma to make it work. I think Bayley falls in the same category but I am not sure if she has the right kind of charisma or if girls like her because she has been pretty much the only pushed female wrestler who isn't portrayed as a bitch. But regardless, there is already a blueprint in booking a good kind of underdog (without being so much of a jobber people lose interest), it just requires the WWE creative team to be willing to get there with her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users