Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the show last night in Green Bay. Some really fun stuff, especially Strong/Itami and Heavy motherfucking Machinery. Main event was 20 minutes of Roode/Ohno. It had some good moments but Roode is so boring. Once the residue from the entrance disappears, it's a snoozer. Gargano/Velveteen Dream was the opener and a solid match. McIntrye/Black worked a tag vs Almas/Bononi that ran a tad long but was also good.

• 2 weeks later...

So how do these Takeover shows work as far as tickets. Do I have to order in advance or will there be plenty available at the door the night of. I don't care if I'm sitting far back, I guess I'm just wondering if they sell out.

Three years in a row, me and my friend went to the Field of Honor shows in August (and August Hammerstein the year before that). A little bummed there won't be an ROH in Brooklyn this year for whatever reason. But we are taking this as an opportunity to finally catch NXT live.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE NXT Women's Champion Asuka has passed Rockin' Robin's 502 days as WWE Women's Champion and is now the longest-reigning women's champion of any kind, and the longest-reigning champion in WWE history (besides the years-long reigns by Hulk Hogan, Bob Backlund, Pedro Morales and Bruno Sammartino that will likely never be surpassed). Asuka is set to defend her title against Ember Moon at Saturday's NXT "Takeover: Brooklyn III" event.

So I guess Moolah's title run doesnt count that she held for years.

WWE NXT Women's Champion Asuka has passed Rockin' Robin's 502 days as WWE Women's Champion and is now the longest-reigning women's champion of any kind, and the longest-reigning champion in WWE history (besides the years-long reigns by Hulk Hogan, Bob Backlund, Pedro Morales and Bruno Sammartino that will likely never be surpassed). Asuka is set to defend her title against Ember Moon at Saturday's NXT "Takeover: Brooklyn III" event.

So I guess Moolah's title run doesnt count that she held for years.

It technically wasn't a WWF Championship until 1984 which removes her long title reigns.

Asuka broke her collarbone at Takeover so now there's a decision to make about the title. The next Takeover isn't until November so they don't have to vacate it.

So she finished the match with a broken collarbone? That makes her the toughest person on the roster.

I'm suspecting that's a worked injury. Breaking a collarbone isn't exactly something you can just power through, and considering how they've put over the Eclipse as this very, very dangerous move before, it would make sense she got kayfabe hurt and still got to finish the match.

It puts Moon and her finisher over, you can vacate the title and avoid having Asuka do the job, and you can also build the MYC winner as a potential contender.

Man... Asuka vacating the title after all this would feel like such a let down. I guess they could have her come back and try to win it back and put someone over, but I just don't see that value in having her not put someone over on her way up to Raw/SD. I guess that streak could translate to the main roster and if they are committed to building on it on RAW or SD and then really have her put someone over on a ppv in a big way, sure, but I have ZERO faith that she would be handled that way on the main roster.

I haven't paid enough attention to NXT in a while after the relatively weak period with Balor/Joe/Nakamura on top but i should probably pick it back up from the last few months. Who are the likely call-ups here, Roode, Authors of Pain and Asuka?

And that killed all the interest they rekindled with Takeover with me.

Eh, I'm pretty excited for ReDRagon & Adam Cole. I'm glad that Bobby Roode is gone. Drew McIntyre is pretty good.

The NXT Women's Division right now is going to be Nikki Cross, Ember Moon & then probably the likes of Peyton, Billie Kay, etc. But we'll probably get some of the Mae Young Classic women too.

If not for the fact that he looks like Dick Dastardly, I'd actually say Fish is pretty bland too.

Asuka leaving is not at all a bad thing. Sure, the women's division loses her best performer, but if that means you give more shine to the likes of Ember Moon, Nikki Cross, Peyton Royce (the most underrated gal of them all IMO) and even someone like Mandy Rose, that's a plus.

As for Roode leaving.... that's not as good. He was the best champion they've had since Neville, and the idea of someone and boring as Adam Cole feuding with McIntyre who, despite looking like a megastar, doesn't have a good enough connection with the crowd yet, is not very thrilling to me.

The same goes for AOP getting called up, if that happens soon. ReDragon vs Sanity is..... not very interesting.

NXT from the beginning of this year with Roode, Nakamura, Asuka, DIY, Revival as its top stars to current day NXT with McIntyre, Cole, ReDragon on top feels like such a radical change. I do like O'Reilly a lot (his match with Keith Lee earlier this year was one of my favorites of 2017) but say what you want about Roode, Nakamura, but they had way more charisma than McIntyre (who I feel felt like a way bigger and more charismatic star wrestling Lorcan than he looked beating Roode), Cole and ReDragon. Asuka leaving as well, who felt like the best overall performer on the brand and the MVP at the last TakeOver, makes it a lot less interesting to me.

But curious what they have lined-up for the Houston TakeOver in November. They got Strong, Ohno, Gargano, Almas, no reason why it shouldn't be a good wrestling card.

I'm done doubting NXT. I thought Brooklyn looked like one of their weaker lineups, no way it can follow Chicago, and it might be my show of the year. I fully expect Houston to be amazing, I don't care what the lineup is.

I haven't followed Cole's career closely but I was in Brooklyn for the show and people were just overjoyed coming out of the arena, just going nuts. So, no matter what you think of him, certainly seems like they have a guy that can carry the brand for the next year to their core audience.

Nothing that hasn't been stated before, but NXT is the antithesis of main roster WWE. One hour of TV a week and five big shows well spaced out throughout the year, no bloated nonsense like Mania and Summerslam, titles mean something, wins and loses matter, the roster continually changes so nobody gets stale...in short it's like an old territory and I love it. I'm interested to see where they go with the new additions. I'm sad to see Asuka's run end, and also Roode's, but they have Black, Gargano, Ohno, Strong, Nikki, McIntyre, Lorcan, the ROH faction, plus hopefully more of the UK crew and women from the Mae Young classic. I'm totally looking forward to the rest of the year

Now let us begin the countdown to when Asuka gets beaten by Nia Jax on Raw in a match with no buildup and no ramifications.

Eh I say treat it like being a territory fan back in the day. Dundee leaving Memphis to be a jobber in Crockett wouldn't affect your enjoyment of Memphis. Pretend NXT exists in its own world.

Nothing that hasn't been stated before, but NXT is the antithesis of main roster WWE. One hour of TV a week and five big shows well spaced out throughout the year, no bloated nonsense like Mania and Summerslam, titles mean something, wins and loses matter, the roster continually changes so nobody gets stale...in short it's like an old territory and I love it. I'm interested to see where they go with the new additions. I'm sad to see Asuka's run end, and also Roode's, but they have Black, Gargano, Ohno, Strong, Nikki, McIntyre, Lorcan, the ROH faction, plus hopefully more of the UK crew and women from the Mae Young classic. I'm totally looking forward to the rest of the year

I couldn't agree more with this - NXT is everything that I want as a televised wrestling product. A breezy one hour watch each week, with usually one decent 10 minute match building to events that always deliver, even when people say they are flat going in. Even the style of video packages and recaps pulls me in more than the way over the top main roster ones.