Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

I get that he has attires that look like Rude's/Savage's, but at the same time I don't think the similarities go far beyond that (and the elbow drop). 

I mean, it's kind of saying that he was impersonating Marc Mero at one point. Dream at this point is his own thing, I think. He *is* more Prince than Macho Man, and still his look is distinct enough that he isn't pigeonholed as a tribute act like Iaukea was.

What Stiva said worries me more tbh.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Dream has worn some tribute tights at some Takeovers, while throwing in a tribute spot or two. That's in no way indicative of his actual character. A character that I totally get and understand. I keep reading things here and there about folks not knowing what his character is. And I don't get it. He's The Velveteen Dream. What do folks want, a total Prince ripoff, which is what it was at first, or a terrible over the top and offensive gay gimmick?  He's figuring out how to take all that and remake it into something new. I agree with the idea that he needs to stay in NXT for awile longer because he's what? 23? 24 years old? Let him finish creating this already great character while getting better at everything else .

It's odd, but the person Dream reminds me of most is a young Sting. Natural athlete, in great shape, innate charisma, still putting it all together but having good/great matches on the way. A guy who's still so early in his career, but carries himself like a star, a leader. Obviously different characters, but that's the vibe I get from him.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:44 AM, NotJayTabb said:

It's odd, but the person Dream reminds me of most is a young Sting. Natural athlete, in great shape, innate charisma, still putting it all together but having good/great matches on the way. A guy who's still so early in his career, but carries himself like a star, a leader. Obviously different characters, but that's the vibe I get from him.

That's actually a pretty good comparison. UWF/early Crockett Sting was a ball of green charisma that clearly had potential, and was lucky enough to have a career defining match with one of the greatest of all time (not to mention a career long program with the guy to make sure he improved as a wrestler). 

I don't know if he said that, but Flair definately had a set style of match he did when he didn't feel the other guy was capable of a whole lot (the infamous broomstick match).

That being said, Sting did improve greatly after working with him even if it wasn't a Flair/Steamboat level classic. 

I hope some dudes who were saying THAT storyline is deep and shit are satisfied.

Like, I get that now they are teaming on SD and RAW, DIY kind of needs to be a team again, but fuck is that storyline stupid. They never should've done it. At least the title is in better hands, and Velveteen/Punisher sounds like a good idea.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

I hope some dudes who were saying THAT storyline is deep and shit are satisfied.

Hide contents

Like, I get that now they are teaming on SD and RAW, DIY kind of needs to be a team again, but fuck is that storyline stupid. They never should've done it. At least the title is in better hands, and Velveteen/Punisher sounds like a good idea.

Edit: Oh my God Candice turned on Gargano this is ridiculous.

Spoiler

Where did you hear that? The spoilers I read said that Ciampa tried to ram Gargano into the LED board but Gargano reversed it and beat the shit out of him and then posed with the NXT title belt.

To be honest, I think they should just call both of them up without resolving the whole DIY saga. They keep adding layers upon layers, and there's no way they'll be able to pay it all off satisfactorily. Better to let people fantasy book their own conclusions than deliver something that will invariably disappoint.

17 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:
  Hide contents

Where did you hear that? The spoilers I read said that Ciampa tried to ram Gargano into the LED board but Gargano reversed it and beat the shit out of him and then posed with the NXT title belt.

To be honest, I think they should just call both of them up without resolving the whole DIY saga. They keep adding layers upon layers, and there's no way they'll be able to pay it all off satisfactorily. Better to let people fantasy book their own conclusions than deliver something that will invariably disappoint.

Frankly I had a brainfart and misread it. Going to edit it now (but it's not like I discard that twist)

But yeah, I agree. They've been going on with this storyline for over a year now and it just... will never have a good payoff. It's been far too long to justify still doing it.

The DIY story is my favorite thing going in wrestling, and I love that it's just going to evolve up to the main roster. I'm 48 years old and I grew up with long stories, and that was WWF, where it was three and done at the Garden. When I discovered NWA WorldWide in 85, the thing that grabbed me was Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones, which had been going on for years until Starrcade 86 where it finally ended and I was ringside in the third row.

Shit, the greatest series of Loser Leaves Town matches was Lawler vs. Dundee over the course of three years.

KawadaSmile, you know I love ya, dude. But this is good shit, at least to me.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

KawadaSmile, you know I love ya, dude. But this is good shit, at least to me.

Love ya Johnny, and I am happy that you are getting enjoyment in this, but this feud... is not my cup of tea. And quite frankly I guess it's more because it has been the focal point of NXT, to the point where it is inescapable.

On the bright side, their first TakeOver match will always be really fucking good to me, so I guess there's that?

Yeah not here to shit on anyone's opinions but I've enjoyed the hell out of the DIY feud. Would it have been the perfect if it ended with the first match? Sure. Did the rematches go a bit overboard? Sure, but that's what happens when you double down a blood feud. It's a far cry away from "this feud must continue" territory since everything (until RAW) had a solid story explanation. They have real chemistry together and really there's only been a handful of matches. It's actually refreshing coming from a company that hadn't run a really classic blood feud since what, Michaels-Jericho? 

I certainly can agree that it's taken up way too much space on NXT when there are 3 or 4 other guys out there who could be at the top of the card. However, if they stick the landing all will be forgiven.

5 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Bianca Belair's "undefeated is a mindset" gimmick is zero buys. Minimizing and making excuses for losses is a quintessential loser heel trait. That might work for Miz or Curt Hawkins, but not for someone you want the audience to get behind and see as a star.

She's a babyface now.

Wouldn’t it be nice if they just worked a brawl around punches and strikes without any neck bumps and instead of going for a New Japan epic they actually worked the match like the end of a blood feud?

Guaranteed it’ll be some ridiculous overkill gimmick match instead, with Ciampa falling from the Empire State Building.

Love the feud but it needs a really simple finish with Gargano going over clean not a nuclear warhead going off like they seem to want to book this thing.