Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-05-02-AWA-Superclash II] Nick Bockwinkel vs Curt Hennig

Superstar Sleeze

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel vs Curt Hennig - AWA Superclash II 5/2/86

I did not see any build up other than the matches. I know Larry Z had been feuding with Bockwinkel by basically being the new devious heel on the roster. I don't know if Larry Z was trying to subvert Hennig before the match because otherwise the finish seems out of nowhere. It does make sense from Hennig's growing disillusionment with the system and having been screwed out of the title. Hennig turning heel just seems so fucking stupid. The promotion needed a babyface and the crowd was behind Hennig. Plus the need for Hennig to win by cheating affirms that system is broken and that good cannot triumph. That's not good for the promotion. I think people turning because they have been cheated is a fine storyline but when AWA desperately needed a new face to keep the company afloat that was not one needed. Hennig should have triumphed by right and might with Bockwinkel shaking his hand in respect and passing the torch. Then on top of all this, Hennig did NOT even win the title by hook or by crook. The title was held up. That's just so Death of WCW. No one wins and no one is better for it. The match is damn great, but the booking really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Larry Z in all his epic mullet glory challenges the winner. Unfortunately for him, there would be no winner in this match. Hennig is ready to rock n roll in this match. He throws Bock off on top wristlock. Bock tries the slap again to intimidate Hennig like in past matches. Hennig wins a headlock/headscissors battle with a headlock. They make use of movement to keep it entertaining, but Hennig always gets back on top with the headlock. Hennig rams into the post and Bockwinkel is in his element playing King of the Mountain. Bockwinkel is laying in some absolutely massive shots. Bockwinkel targets the arm with big blows and some tight holds. Hennig uses a slam to get out of the hammerlock, but Bock kicks off and gets back to the arm. I really like Bockwinkel's double wristlock takedown into a short arm scissors. I love Bockwinkel smiling and jawing with the fans. It is nice to see him having fun in there. The fans however did not like it and thought it was boring. Similar to how Hennig pried open the figure-4 on the headlock in the March match, he does it here and it leads to some phenomenal leg work. Bockwinkel sold his leg so well in this match. Hennig kicks Bock's leg out from under him and then spinning toehold into figure-4 shades of the November match. Hennig shows his mean streak and continues attacking the leg in the ropes. Bockwinkel uses hair and punches in the midsection to stop his momentum. Bockwinkel hits one of his great kneelifts, but cat capitalize due to the leg work. They slug it out and Hennig unleashes a bevy of nearfalls. It is punctuated with the AXE~! and piledriver, but Bockwinkel was too close to the ropes. They knock the heads and Larry Z gives Hennig a roll of coins to win the match until the ref sees all the dimes on the floor. Leading to the title being held up.

The match is awesome and great display of dueling limb psychology leading to a hot home stretch, but the finish sucked. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1987-05-02-AWA-Superclash II] Nick Bockwinkel vs Curt Hennig
  • 10 months later...

It's amazing how good Bock was, considering he was in the WWF in an on-wrestling role 5 months later. Curt is also technically sound. 

Yeah, the bad booking takes away from this match. The fans of the dying AWA were rowdy throughout with the "Boring!" chants for a face vs face match. "Boring" chants never had any influence on Bock in his career, though (see his Battle of the Belts undercard match in Florida). That said, the empty seats and bad fans took away from the hard work in this match. Very few men in the WWF could have equaled this match- again amazing considering Bock was 52.

• 2 years later...

This might have been the wrong match for this type of crowd, but I loved this. Bockwinkel wastes no time showing his true colors as soon as Hennig gets the better of him. His selling was fantastic here, as Hennig works over his leg. Larry Zbyszko came down to ringside before the belt to issue a challenge to the winner and he sits at ringside for the rest of the match. After a number of thrilling near-falls by Hennig, Zbyszko gives Hennig some coins and Hennig lays Bock out with a stiff punch to win the match. Pandemonium ensues during the post-match as Ray Stevens leaves the commentary desk to confront Larry and Hennig and the match is now ruled a draw and the AWA title is held up. My hot take of the day is that what I've seen of the Bockwinkel/Hennig rivalry is better than Flair/Steamboat. Even the bad finish didn't sour me that much seeing as the wrestling preceding it was so brilliant.★★★★½