Pro Wrestling Only

I have cancer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see things are hopefully starting to turn around. Wishing the best for your future and continue to enjoy everything you can in life.

Like everyone has said in other threads, wrestling is an amazing escape. Where else can you get a full story told in anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes....then get to hear other people's opinions on it in podcast form?

Continue to whip the cancer with LARIATOOOO after LARIATOOOOO! ...or even more fun, use the Jake Roberts Shortarm Clothesline so it never gets too far out of reach. ^_^

Here's where wrestling podcasts work wonders. Listening to a 4-hour "Between the Sheets" or a marathon pod unveiling GWE lists allows me to relax without the bad thoughts taking over my brain. You have no idea how happy I was to see a 9-hour "Wrestling with the Past" GWE podcast pop up in my feed this week. Perfect timing since I'll be laid up from chemo this weekend.

Brother, I wasn't going to do a GWE podcast but after reading this, I ended up recording 4 shows over the weekend. Once I edit them, I'll have them up at P2B for you to listen to.

Here's where wrestling podcasts work wonders. Listening to a 4-hour "Between the Sheets" or a marathon pod unveiling GWE lists allows me to relax without the bad thoughts taking over my brain. You have no idea how happy I was to see a 9-hour "Wrestling with the Past" GWE podcast pop up in my feed this week. Perfect timing since I'll be laid up from chemo this weekend.

Brother, I wasn't going to do a GWE podcast but after reading this, I ended up recording 4 shows over the weekend. Once I edit them, I'll have them up at P2B for you to listen to.

And from the tease on The Dangerous Alliance they sound awesome!!!

Wish you all the best, my friend. You seem to have been extraordinarily brave in your reaction, all things considered. Pretty sure if I had cancer, I would have driven myself and my entire family mad. Hoping to keep hearing more good news. Also hoping that you don't get your wish of seeing Ric Flair win the GWE, but I am petty that way. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's an update:

I have made two trips to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York in recent weeks. After a diagnostic laparoscopy procedure (where they make two small incisions and insert a camera in my belly to see what's going on in there) last Friday, they have determined that it's possible to attempt surgery on me again. This would be the same surgery that the University of Minnesota attempted on me back in January, but had to abort once I was opened up on the operating table because my cancer had spread too far.

Sloan believes that after 4 months of chemotherapy, my cancer has been contained and even knocked down a little, making surgery possible again. Of course, nothing is certain. They very well could open me up again, only to stop once they actually see what's going on inside of me. But the Sloan surgeon is more experienced than the U of M surgeon, and he will have a liver surgeon in the room with him to deal with a potentially tricky spot near my liver.

To refresh your memory, the surgery involves removing all visible tumors, then pouring heated chemotherapy into my belly. The procedure is very invasive and takes about 8-12 hours. If all goes well -- and that's a big if -- I'll spend one week in the hospital and another week hanging around New York in case something goes wrong. That's a minimum of two weeks away from home and my kids, so that's going to be difficult.

Is the surgery a magical cure? Unfortunately, no. Of course, I'm always hopeful that someone will say, "Cross Face Chicken Wing, you are now cured from cancer!" But with how bad my cancer is, that likely will never happen.

The purpose of the surgery is to get me cancer-free for an extended period of time. Being cancer-free means no chemotherapy. Chemo absolutely blows. If I can be cancer-free for a year or two and not have to deal with chemo, this surgery and the long recovery period will be totally worth it.

I plan on devouring a whole bunch of wrestling while stuck in New York. The Puerto Rico set, Terry Funk and Regal footage are at the top of my list. My poor mom is staying with me out there and will be driven nuts by old-school wrestling by day 2, I'm guessing. I'll also have wrestling podcasts going to pass the time. Between the Sheets, Exile, 6:05, Where the Big Boys Play, etc. will all be blaring. Again, my poor mom.

That about sums up where I'm at. Surgery is set for Friday, 7/29. If you're the praying type, I can always use some extra prayers. If you'd rather just cut a heel promo threatening my cancer with severe bodily harm inside of the steel cage at the local arena next Friday night, I'd take that, too.

As always, my Caring Bridge site usually has the latest updates: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/adamspack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick update on me:

I had surgery on July 29. It lasted 14 hours and they removed my spleen, gall bladder, appendix and 70 percent of my colon. The surgeon also was able to remove all visible cancer. Following surgery, I had three days of chemotherpay infused directly into my abdomen to try and mop up any microscopic cells.

All of this happened in New York, far away from my home and family in Minnesota. I was in the hospital for a week, then spent another week in an apartment in New York. I was hoping to watch an endless amount of wrestling during my recovery, but that didn't really happen. I knew this surgery would be a bear, but I had no idea just how nasty it would be. I didn't feel like doing anything besides laying there.

I'm home now, but still very much in recovery mode. I'm back to moving around (albeit slowly) and trying to get back to some type of normal. Yes, this includes getting back to watching rasslin'. I received some frustrating news that I'll have to do maintenance chemo once I'm healed up. Apparently my cancer was so high grade that they're very worried about early re-occurrence. I feel like I keep giving this cancer the Stone Cold Stunner, but it kicks out at 2 1/2 every goddamn time.

That's the update for now. Thanks to everyone who has reached out with some words of encouragement, thoughts or prayers. I really appreciate it.

A quick update on me:

I had surgery on July 29. It lasted 14 hours and they removed my spleen, gall bladder, appendix and 70 percent of my colon. The surgeon also was able to remove all visible cancer. Following surgery, I had three days of chemotherpay infused directly into my abdomen to try and mop up any microscopic cells.

All of this happened in New York, far away from my home and family in Minnesota. I was in the hospital for a week, then spent another week in an apartment in New York. I was hoping to watch an endless amount of wrestling during my recovery, but that didn't really happen. I knew this surgery would be a bear, but I had no idea just how nasty it would be. I didn't feel like doing anything besides laying there.

I'm home now, but still very much in recovery mode. I'm back to moving around (albeit slowly) and trying to get back to some type of normal. Yes, this includes getting back to watching rasslin'. I received some frustrating news that I'll have to do maintenance chemo once I'm healed up. Apparently my cancer was so high grade that they're very worried about early re-occurrence. I feel like I keep giving this cancer the Stone Cold Stunner, but it kicks out at 2 1/2 every goddamn time.

That's the update for now. Thanks to everyone who has reached out with some words of encouragement, thoughts or prayers. I really appreciate it.

prayers for you buddy, God bless