Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-09-09-Houston Wresting] Butch Reed vs Mr Wrestling II

shoe

These guys have a lot of history. Wrestling 2 and TA feuded with Reed and Neidhardt for the tag belts.

The match is super fun before they even lock up. Wrestling 2 uses his speed advantage to start. A Million Dollar Knee Lift stuns Reed and he takes a powder.Wrestling 2 has a headlock on Reed. Reed tries to toss 2, but he holds onto the front face lock. Huge Knee lift from the 2nd rope and Reed is reeling.

Wrestling 2 runs into a Reed knee to set up the heat. Elbow drop by Reed. Reed is using his weight on 2. Wrestling 2 tries to rally, but Reed tugs him down by the mask. Wrestling 2 showing tons of fire underneath, Reed pulls the mask again. Reed using his weight on the rope. Reed has been good working the neck. Reed transitions to working the knee. Which is 2's biggest weapon. Reed posts the knee and wraps it around the post. Wrestling 2 hits the knee and crumbles like he's been shot. Reed hits him with the spear for the win.

What a really smartly worked match. It made sense, total a great story, and had plenty of action. 4*

Watched this a few hours ago and really liked it too. I loved the opening stuff with 2 doing his usual odd movements to get in Reed's head and keep dodging away from him. 2 stayed on top for a lot longer than I expected but it was all really good and I liked the stuff with him holding on the front face lock and Reed trying to outsmart him by forcing him to break it by putting him on the top rope only for II to come off with a knee lift.

Reed in 83-early 84 seemed to still be getting used to how to control a match as a heel and had a tendency to get a little dull especially in that match with Magnum TA. Here they kept things moving in the hold with 2 making a few rallies but Reed cheating to stay on top. I liked Reed trying to take out the knee to neutralize 2's big knee lift but I kind of didn't like the finish that much.

I liked 2 hitting the knee lift but not being able to cover but felt like Reed needed to do more to actually put him down. I would have rather he hit that spear off the 2nd turnbuckle rather than just running the ropes but still this match is really good and definitely one everyone should watch.

• GSR changed the title to [1983-09-09-Houston Wresting] Butch Reed vs Mr Wrestling II