Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom 9] A.J. Styles vs Tetsuya Naito

Superstar Sleeze

AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito - Wrestle Kingdom 9

Remember what I said about Shinsuke Nakamura, I was wrong. AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world. He never ever lets up. You really feel like he is wrestling to win a match and that's the most important thing to me. He just absolutely rocked it from the opening bell to the closing bell. Yes, the finishing sequence was not as hot as Nakamura/Ibushi and there is nothing in this match that will blow your minds, but it is just excellent pro wrestling. Right off the bat, AJ jumpstarts the match and looks for the Styles Clash not once, but twice. Immediately, he sets the tone, he is here to win and he is not fucking around. That's what this match has in spades: urgency. Naito is a capable high flyer, but AJ brings out the best in him because AJ makes him earn everything. Even when they are on the floor, AJ is always moving forward before being blown away by a dropkick from the apron. Naito is ready to go through his routine in the corner and AJ counters into a legbreaker. AJ works the leg perfectly. This is such high quality. His offense looks amazing. Everything has purpose. Naito uses his speed to combat AJ, but he does sell. I love when Naito gives AJ the high ground of the top rope, AJ fires back with headbutts before nailing his signature springboard flying forearm. Naito has to resort to headkicks to try to keep AJ off balance, but he will not be denied tonight. He busted a perfect Calf-Killer and I would have loved to seen that as the finish. AJ runs through his signature set-sup for the Styles Clash, but now it is Naito who adds the wrinkle sending Styles flying out to the floor. WHAT A BUMP! That's Naito's big nearfall essentially as it is about 18 before AJ gets back in. The finish is friggin awesome as Naito goes for the top rope frankensteiner and Styles catches him and nails the Styles Clash.

Absolutely pitch perfect performance from AJ. Every facet of pro wrestling, he nailed in this match. I loved the structure with AJ pretty much on top of the whole match and kicking ass, but giving enough to Naito so not to squash him, makes Naito look good and AJ even better for winning. You walked away with no doubt in your mind who the better wrestler was both in kayfabe and analytically. AJ makes you work for everything, everything he does flows from logical perspective and builds to the Styles Clash or Calf-Killer and it is done with urgency. That's why he is the best pro wrestler in the world. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2015-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom 9] A.J. Styles vs Tetsuya Naito