Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-02-11-NJPW-New Beginning in Osaka] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs A.J. Styles

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi vs AJ Styles - New Beginning in Osaka 2/11/15

My two favorite wrestlers on the planet right now meeting for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship is always a good thing. I really liked their October title change from 2014 and thought this was even better. They should some learned psychology as Tanahashi had AJ's dropkick scouted early and AJ knew Tanahashi's somersault off the apron. I also thought they did not just do a let me run my spots and now you run through yours, which is really common in this day and age. We did not see every single Tanahashi stock spot nor did we see every single one of AJ's instead they worked in those that made sense and they really really connected each spot very well. I think what I like the most about both Tanahashi and Styles is their ability to be urgent and patient at the same time. Everything feels important without being rushed. I think it is the rushing around that gives a lot of matches nowadays an exhibition feel to them. This felt like a classic heavyweight championship match and these two are the best at that style.

I really liked the opening matwork everything flowed from the lockup well. AJ scrambling away from a Tanahashi leg takedown knowing Tana's propensity to target his opponent's legs was a nice touch. I liked AJ really grinding that headlock and Tanahashi moving into a top wristlock and finally some arm work. You dont get to see much arm work from Tanahashi, but it was good and AJ was great keeping it moving while staying in the armbar. AJ broke free was thinking dropkick using his usual criss cross sequence, but Tanahashi put on the brakes and went back to the arm. As a long time AJ fan, it is little touches like that which keep me off balance. AJ eventually did score with the dropkick to send Tanahashi to the outside, but Tanahashi came back into the ring dodging a flying bodypress and hitting his own dropkick. Nice symmetry. However, AJ knew the somersault off the apron was coming and moved leaving Tanahashi to crash and burn. Of course, we got the Bullet Club to lay the boots on Tanahashi. Capn New Japan tried to make a save, but he got creamed. AJ was so fucking crisp on offense and did a great job targeting the back of Tanahashi with some excellently executed backbreakers. I thought Tanahashi did a great job peppering in the hope spots, but did not go overboard. I liked how vocal AJ was like when he went for a top wristlock after Tana's wristlock and said "How do you like it?" or his "WOAH!" taking a backdrop. Screw the haters, Tanahashi full weight somersault splash off the middle rope looks devastating. Tanahashi hit High Fly Flow on the entire Bullet Club was an amazing visual, but unfortunately for he knocked heads with one of the Jacksons and busted himself open by his left eye. OW! Clearly disoriented, AJ was able to suplex him hard into the turnbuckles. AJ looked for Bloody Sunday his set up for Styles Clash to take advantage of the situation as he was now more desperate given Tanahashi recent flurry and wanted to end it sooner rather than later. Tanahashi maneuvered into his setup for High Fly Flow, which is the Human Capture Suplex. I love that sense of escalation. AJ distracted the ref to back leg ball shot Tanahashi, which was a great desperation move and when the Bullet Club tried to further distract the ref it backfired with Tanahashi hitting his OWN BALLSHOT! I marked out for that hard. Great way to level the playing field before the big run to the finish. There were a couple mistimings between these two the most obvious was supposed to be an AJ enziguiri turned Dragon Leg Screw, which ended up just being an enziguiri because he actually kicked him. Tanahashi covered well, but AJ was a little slow realizing what was happening, but once he did he covered nicely with "Oh you want another one." Tanahashi hit Sling Blade, but knees up on High Fly Flow and he did NOT work on the knees. AJ is able to recover faster, but he eats knees on the Springboard 450. Nice symmetry. Tanahashi goes for the HFF again, but Styles lunges into the ropes and Tanahashi falls on his already sore balls. :P

Styles wants the Frankensteiner, but Tanahashi almost turns it into a Style Clash, but AJ knows the counter. Again, AJ freaked out about almost losing, immediately stops dicking around and tries for the win by hoisting Tanahashi off the top rope into a Style Clash and there is a great struggle before Styles just drops down with Hollow Point. I feel like that should be his super finisher rather than just a set up. Bloody Sunday leads to Styles Clash for the win.

Amazing escalation from the opening feel out process that established how well these two knew each other and how they will both need to dig deep into their bag of tricks to keep the other guessing, great transition to the heat segment with scouting leading to AJ taking control, transition out of the heat was unremarkable admittedly, great high spot with the High Fly Flow on everyone, really well done escalation from the set up moves, nice fun wrinkle with the ballshots, each going for a home run, but missing, only for AJ to have a little more gas left when knocked Tanahashi off the top. AJ did throw a couple nice hammer punches to the eye, but I would have liked to seen that more exploited. There were a couple botches and really it was missing that really memorable hook to make this an all-timer. As is, this is awesome, awesome heavyweight wrestling that I just love. I have this #2 behind Tanahashi/Ibushi. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2015-02-11-NJPW-New Beginning in Osaka] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs A.J. Styles