Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-07-05-NJPW] A.J. Styles vs Kazuchika Okada

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada - Dominion 7.5.15

Okada is by far my least favorite of the New Japan performer. He is just a very dry, emotionless performer that relies on his spots and entrance to stay over. I really dig the entrance, but I wish there was more to him once he stepped in the ring. I do really enjoy his use of the dropkick as his ultimate counterwrestling weapon. I thought his selling was better here at times, but still he had a tendency to drop it or just not fight back enough. I thought AJ's worst main event singles performances last year were against Okada. Nothing has changed as this was my least favorite AJ match of the year, but hey it was still one helluva a finish run.

Early on, I enjoyed they both teased dropkicks and each opponent held onto the ropes to avoid it. It shows some familiarity. They outset of the match was built around Bullet Club interference. It was different and fun. The payoff was Red Shoes telling AJ to Suck It and then telling the Bullet Club to suck it before throwing them out. Nick Jackson's reaction was perfect. Back in, Okada, who was getting his ass kicked in the early part by the Bullet Club had start digging himself out of the hole. He did so through his use of dropkicks. They worked some really nice dropkick spots in to counter AJ from running away with the match. Okada managed to nail his elbow drop, but AJ avoided the tombstone and hit the suplex in the corner. AJ afraid of losing control went for the Styles Clash, but was countered into a headdrop. They did an elaborate tombstone reversal with AJ coming out the better, which was cool and then my favorite AJ move Springboard 450 only got two! There were a lot of aimless moments in the match, but none more head-scratching then AJ going to top for I dont know what and then getting dropped on his lower back on the apron. OW! It just didnt make sense why AJ was going to the top. Okada hit a nice missile dropkick and then got his tombstone piledriver. Now it is Rainmaker time! The finish sequence I can see the argument for it being bloated and way too intricate, but I enjoyed it immensely! Basically they traded Styles Clash, Rainmaker attempts and out of a Backslide, Okada nailed the Rainmaker. It was a fucking beauty that could have been the finish, but hit a couple more Rainmakers to seal the deal.

I saw this as high as FIVE stars, no way, Jose from this guy. It is a great finish run that takes up the back half of the match. On the strength of that, i can safely say it is a great match, but it is really two just wrestlers working their arsenals in clever fashion, but without much of a story to hold it together. ****

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally getting around to some of Styles hyped NJPW stuff.

Just watched this today and agree with the sentiments here. It was a quite good match, but I am not sure it is near great. I gave it 4. It is athletically impressive, especially some of Okada's offense, but never hits the next level of urgency and intensity that would set it apart.

I like both men a lot and I do think Styles brings another layer to Okada's matches that is somewhat fun, but I am not sure they are really the optimal dance partners. Still... real good match.

• GSR changed the title to [2015-07-05-NJPW] A.J. Styles vs Kazuchika Okada