Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-08-16-NJPW-G1 Climax] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Superstar Sleeze

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - G-1 Climax 25 Finals

The finalists of the first G-1 Climax, Keiji Mutoh & Masa Chono, are providing commentary for this momentous occasion. Last year, these two put on a match that I thought was a ***** classic and the second best match of the year worldwide. They have come a long way from their 1/4/05 Tokyo Dome performance. Amazing, these two have been synonymous with New Japan Pro Wrestling for over a decade now. They had a lot to live up to from last year's masterpiece and hell just the night before Nakamura had an instant classic with Okada and two nights before Tanahashi and AJ Styles tore the house down. I acknowledge the route they took was probably the best one given the circumstances even if I, personally, think it leads to diminishing returns. New Japan's strength is their finish runs. They escalate in drama beautifully and climax at the right moment and very rarely hurt anyone's finishes. The difference between modern New Japan and 90s All Japan is 90s All Japan had the accompanying the structure and psychology that takes the exciting and makes it a transcendent and moving emotional experience. On this night, I think everyone knew that a routine New Japan finish would not be enough and credit to them they did not put on the same match from Invasion Attack. I think is a bit of a problem with New Japan is the same-y-ness of their layouts. No, no, Tanahashi and Nakamura dusted off the only style that could really could fit the magnitude for the moment: grandiose pomp and circumstance of the Pro Wrestling NOAH finish run. Kickouts galore, multiple finish hits, overwrought, but glorious at the same time, an overindulgence of machismo and fighting spirit, at the end of the day these two just are not Kenta Kobashi so my revelry was tempered by the lack of effusive emotion, but this was incredible and I am happy that something different was attempted.

The first half of this is fucking excellent and really can only be done with these two particular wrestlers because of the history they share. They were just absolute dicks to one another for 15 minutes. Everytime, one showed up the other, they other would make him pay. First, Tanahashi was winning the chaining battles and played air guitar a couple times. Nakamura then proceeded to pass his guard and switch mounts at will reminding him who the better submission wrestler was. Tanahashi did not disappoint by countering the kicks with his patented leg attack. The Dragon Leg Screws were fucking awesome. Tanahashi really hit those from a ton of different starting position throughout the match. But he could not help but mock Nakamura shaky leg in the corner only not to do that and that cost him with a kick to the head. Nakamura could not resist throwing playful kicks at the head of Tanahashi, who went back after the knee only to hit High Fly Flow to the floor. Personally, if they continued on this path, I could easily see myself giving the match ***** and calling it revolutionary in terms of structure. In a way, it would feel too personal and therefore too small for the moment. So they had to kick it up. There had to be three Boma Ye's to the head that Tanahashi kickout. There had to be multiple High Fly Flows with a kickout. There had to be multiple strike exchanges. There had to be crazy armbar reversals. The High Fly Flow on the ropes was awesome and after two more Tanahashi won it.

This match is incredibly entertaining and as always Tanahashi's knee attack affords a great home base for them to go to back to. Nakamura's selling was great and kicked some ass. They let it all hand out. I don't think it was as good as Invasion Attack 2014, but I would say this is the second best New Japan match of the year after Nakamura/Okada. They do go overboard, but it is so rare for New Japan to go overboard that it comes off as unique and plus in NOAH there would have been 15 more minutes of wrestling! I feel like I sound more down on the match than I was. I guess part of me really liked the first half so much that it was a bit disappointing that they did not follow through to the end, but in some ways they did. These two just did not want to lose to each other at all. They have been together so long that bragging rights and pride mean everything in this contest. Hopefully, New Japan sticks with their current finish run formula and adds more psychological wrinkles rather than more false finishes, but for one night this was pretty damn great. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2015-08-16-NJPW-G1 Climax] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura
  • 3 years later...

There is a lot of good stuff to be found here, but I thought this match displayed some of the worst NJPW big match tendencies. The first third was technically solid, but I thought it added little to the overall package. It felt padded out for the sake of going long because long matches equal classic matches apparently. The crowd ate this up, as both men are two of the biggest personalities in New Japan. The fans were popping as soon as the bell rang. The match starts getting better once they start trading forearms and hitting their signature moves. Both men kick out of their opponent's finisher, and it felt like the next person to land their finish would come out of this victorious. Tanahashi hitting the High Fly Flow to Nakamura while he was still on the second rope was an incredible spot. I agree with the criticism that this match needed more psychological wrinkles into their main events and fewer false finishes. Either do that or make this a 15-minute bombfest.★★★¾