Pro Wrestling Only

Regal (JvK edn.)

JerryvonKramer

William Regal vs. CM Punk (12/28/08)

This is a fan cam form MSG recommended by a certain Phil Schniedier, a man so influential that his political hit on Jumbo Tsuruta still reverberates around the internet to this day. I find him very entertaining on podcasts.

Here is his review: http://segundacaida.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/wednesday-night-bootleg-regal-v-punk.html

I liked the match less than Phil. It has some stiff work and we get a bit of chain wrestling out of Punk, but I watched this in the same day I watched Regal in Japan in 1995 and the difference is night and day really. Regal does let himself free from the shackles a little bit in this one, but it's still just a WWE house match and not a lot more in my view. I liked this about the same as the Austin strap match and the JBL match.

William Regal vs. Dean Ambrose (10/13/11)

This is another Schneider pick, and also recommended by Grimmas and Matt D. FCW. I'm going to be watching these Schneider picks until I get some dates on this Christian stuff from Matt.

This is more like it. We can get some true grit in this studio setting, and there are some cool mentor vs. student type dynamics going on too. Regal is back to 95/6-levels of stiff brutality here. The elbows to Ambrose's head are sick. The threading of the hand and thirst through the turnbuckle and then attacking the prone arm is some pretty cool work. The wedging of the arm into the steel steps is just tremendous.

Well this was just fucking brilliant and possibly the best Regal match I've reviewed for the purposes of this thread, at least on par with the Finlay Uncensored match.

****1/2

I think Parv's lukewarm reaction to Regal's mid 00s stuff mirrors my own back in the day. It's easy to see why he didn't jump off the page when that's your first introduction to him, he largely jobbed in short matches and didn't seem to do anything interesting.

Having said that, you're still missing what would be his best work from 2006. Benoit at No Mercy for starters. The Velocity match has been covered. There's also a tag title match with Taylor vs London & Kendrick that I really liked, I think it was 12.1.07 on SD.

Dates for later stuff:

vs Punk - Raw 19.1.09 (No DQ)

vs Christian - ECW 10.11.09 (Regal's title shot in UK) & ECW 19.1.10

vs Goldust - Superstars 26.8.10 & 23.9.10 (first one is better IIRC)

vs Ambrose - FCW 15.7.12

vs Ohno - NXT 10.4.13

vs Cesaro - NXT 25.12.13

There are also fun matches vs Bryan and Davey Boy Jr. on Superstars in 2010 as well.