Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-03-19-AJW] Akira Hokuto vs Chigusa Nagayo

Microstatistics

I have been looking for more pre-1993 Akira Hokuto stuff when I found this match. Fantastic performance by her, full of urgency and focus, with a really good selljob of her bad leg. She looked very impressive even this early in her career. Chigusa continues her excellent 1980s run with another great performance as well. Terrific match and a hidden gem. **** 1/4

• 2 years later...

I've seen very little 1989 joshi. This starts like a house of fire with Hokuto dumping the established star with huge suplexes on her neck and Chigusa actually selling that shit! Hokuto goes on a rampage looking for the sleeper like a madwoman and the heat for this is absolutely deafening. Chigusa gets a sleeper of her own and then starts punishing her smaller opponent with thunderous kicks. I thought Chigusa's leg submissions came across as filler and I was largly indifferent to what they had in mind for the finishing run. I'm not a fan of the random back and forth suplexes. The thing I liked most was probably Chigusas charge into the buckle on a missed lariat, and an almost Benoit/Sabu esque neck breaking flapjack. Folks should check this out as the match had a clear story, good selling and a few clever spots.

• GSR changed the title to [1989-03-19-AJW] Akira Hokuto vs Chigusa Nagayo