Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling's Scummiest Moment Ever?

JaymeFuture

So for this week's podcast, we're going to look at some of the scummiest things wrestling promoters have ever done in a misguided effort to draw money, get somebody over, or attract attention, and as always we'd like your suggestions for this lofty title.

So the question is simply - what lowlife act or tasteless decision, on screen or off, do you find to be the most scummy and appalling, and why? As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly, and given we're talking about any promotion ever, you're probably spoilt for choice. So what's your personal pick?

EDIT - Part 1 of our series discussing Wrestling's Scummiest Moments and taking your suggestions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/vhqi8e/SCGRadio67-ScummiestMomentsPart1.mp3

EDIT - Part 2 of our series discussing Wrestling Scummiest Moments and taking your suggestions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/yge5if/SCGRadio69-ScummiestMomentsPart2.mp3

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katie Vick. I feel like it's so egregious that it doesn't really require further explanation.

Vince continuing the PPV after Owen fell to his death is the answer here.

I might be taking a more limited reading of the original question, but one key difference to me with Owen's death is that it wasn't something that WWE was actively exploiting to get attention, as much as a ridiculous tragedy that they handled in the most callous way possible.

Their approach to Brian Pillman's death, on the other hand, should definitely be in contention here because they were promoting their interview with Melanie Pillman just a couple of days after his death to try and pop a rating.

The thing with Fritz trying to get that Chris Adams blinding angle over as he was dealing with the death of Gino Hernandez.

That seems kind of low on the list of scummy things Fritz pulled.

Why don't you out-Fritz me then? :)

The first thing I think of when I think of scummy Fritz Von Erich is when he faked a heart attack in the ring a couple of years after David's death

The exploitation of Eddie Guerrero’s death. From HHH and Orton saying that Eddie is not in heaven but is in hell to trying to make Mysterio a top guy using guerrero’s name every single second even though everybody under the sun knows that Rey Mysterio needs no one to get over. The whole situation during that time made me question why am I still watching this. It was cheap heat, it was piss poor booking, and they’ve known better. Happy New Year guys.The exploitation of Eddie Guerrero’s death. From HHH and Orton saying that Eddie is not in heaven but is in hell to trying to make Mysterio a top guy using guerrero’s name every single second even though everybody under the sun knows that Rey Mysterio needs no one to get over. The whole situation during that time made me question why am I still watching this. It was cheap heat, it was piss poor booking, and they’ve known better. Happy New Year guys.

Jerry Lawler ranting about Jake the Snake's alcoholism during their feud, which culminated in Lawler hitting Jake with a bottle of whiskey and pouring it all over him. (Heck, you could probably devote an entire podcast to scummy Lawler angles that didn't draw money!)

Jake, during the same angle, exploiting religion by acting like a Born Again Christian, which he wasn't and isn't.

Stone Cold pouring beer down alcoholic Scott Hall's throat.

Shawn Michaels vs. God.

The Raven crucifix angle. (At least the Undertaker angle really did use a ridiculous UT symbol, so even though the intent was obviously the same, it was too cartoonish to be taken seriously.)

The elderly Stu Hart, who was clearly out of it, being paraded around in the front row of a Raw episode in Calgary (along with the rest of the dopey dead-weight Hart clan) - which I believe ended with yet another recreation of the Montreal Screwjob. Most of the Harts were greedy, selfish, spoiled, useless, money-grubbing attention whores, but a badly-aging Stu didn't deserve to be carted out for that.

Any miscarriage or spousal abuse angle (Terri Runnels miscarrying and Chaz giving his girlfriend a black eye immediately come to mind in the Attitude Era).

Austin giving a stunner to Stacy Keibler for the "crime" of not wanting to drink beer. Bear in mind that both Austin and Stacy were babyfaces at this time, and it led to nothing, so not only scummy, but pointless. The 2002 Molly Holly angle comes to mind as well, shaming her for both being a Virgin and having a large butt. Im still trying to figure out why she even allowed them to do that angle.

I wasn't a fan at the time and don't know much about the WWE Confidential program, but didn't the WWE air the Lex Luger/Miss Elizabeth 911 call?

I don't even know what the context of that was and I don't care how newsworthy it is - airing it just seems really classless to me.

I'm not saying the WWE is completely reformed, but it strikes me as somewhat of an improvement in that I don't think the Network or WWE.com posted photos from Hulk Hogan's sex tape or clips from his racist rants.

The 2002 Molly Holly angle comes to mind as well, shaming her for both being a Virgin and having a large butt. Im still trying to figure out why she even allowed them to do that angle.

On that note, all of the Vicki Guerrero fat shaming comments, especially by who is quickly becoming the patron saint of this thread, Jerry "King Scumbag" Lawler.

Austin giving a stunner to Stacy Keibler for the "crime" of not wanting to drink beer. Bear in mind that both Austin and Stacy were babyfaces at this time, and it led to nothing, so not only scummy, but pointless. The 2002 Molly Holly angle comes to mind as well, shaming her for both being a Virgin and having a large butt. Im still trying to figure out why she even allowed them to do that angle.

You're leaving out the worst part of this. This was after Austin got in trouble for domestic abuse with Debra.

The thing with Fritz trying to get that Chris Adams blinding angle over as he was dealing with the death of Gino Hernandez.

The first thing I think of when I think of scummy Fritz Von Erich is when he faked a heart attack in the ring a couple of years after David's death

Ahh yes, Christmas Night 1987 was when Fritz pulled that one off....

How about helping convince a clearly brain damaged and fragile Mike Von Erich to get back in the ring quickly after Toxic Shock in 85 when ANYONE watching knows that kid should have been no where near it after his incident.

This was the first one that came to my mind.

Bill Watts saying a black man is only good for shining shoes and carrying a white mans bags. Racism gets heat I get it, but it was the spring/summer after MLK had been shot and he was wrestling Bobo in Washington DC. The city had just been burnt to the ground in the riots. Seriously whole neighborhoods in DC didn't recover for 30 some years from the civil unrest of that spring and Bill Watts was cutting racist promos like 6 weeks later to promote his feud with Bobo.

Fritz forging his dead sons' (sons plural) autographs on 8 by 10s and selling them is probably the slimiest Fritz one for me.

Col Parker managing Harlem Heat.

Terrorist Angle on 7/7

Anytime any wrestler has a well known very public drinking/drug problem, it becomes part of their storyline and a promotional tool. That sickens me. Jake Roberts, Hawk, Scott Hall, etc.

Any of the hypocritical shit WWF/E does.

-Firing Hulk Hogan when the company has Donald Trump in the Hall of Fame and has had countless racist gimmicks over the years.

-Doing a PR campaign "Stand By the WWE" for the company right when Linda was running for senate to try and white wash the fact that she was on a show that was 1 step above Springer for several years.

-That they did the "Be A Star" anti bullying campaign when they were the same company that had the Vince McMahon kiss my ass club... I cant see anybody but Vince McMahon getting any pleasure out of that. I know I didn't.