Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling's Scummiest Moment Ever?

JaymeFuture

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene Okerlund should have his own subcategory. He once did a Hotline plug saying Davey Boy Smith and Magic Johnson had something in common and that the reveal was too hot to talk about on the air. It turned out it was just that they had the same type of surgery.

I've been doing a re-watch of '97 WCW and WWF on a week-to-week basis since sometime last year. And I *just* saw that segment a few months ago. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it went down on a PPV - SuperBrawl or Uncensored maybe? Somewhere around that time frame.

... ... ...

Modern wrestling needs a new Mean Gene. Absolutely unafraid to push buttons in interviews, telling fans to get their parents permission to subscribe to his YouTube channel, plugging his Twitter feed, constantly making crass comments on the air, and just generally wandering to ringside every now & then to catch a "scoop" as soon as a match is wrapping up.

Now that I've gone this way and that with the topic....anyway...have wrestling shows ever retained people who passed away during the airings of X taping of whatever? Besides the Marella example?

Didnt the WWF show Rick McGraw's final match AFTER he died (and then announced his death the week after)? I guess the Marella incident isnt that scummy to be honest, it's more of an example of what can go wrong with pre-taped shows (see also the problems that happened with the WCW Disney tapings).

Man I love the line "get your parents permission" when selling something, wrestling or otherwise. That phrase always added a kind of absurdist element to whatever daytime tv commercial was on.

Gene Okerlund should have his own subcategory. He once did a Hotline plug saying Davey Boy Smith and Magic Johnson had something in common and that the reveal was too hot to talk about on the air. It turned out it was just that they had the same type of surgery.

I've been doing a re-watch of '97 WCW and WWF on a week-to-week basis since sometime last year. And I *just* saw that segment a few months ago. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it went down on a PPV - SuperBrawl or Uncensored maybe? Somewhere around that time frame.

... ... ...

Modern wrestling needs a new Mean Gene. Absolutely unafraid to push buttons in interviews, telling fans to get their parents permission to subscribe to his YouTube channel, plugging his Twitter feed, constantly making crass comments on the air, and just generally wandering to ringside every now & then to catch a "scoop" as soon as a match is wrapping up.

Does anyone remember this incident? I was like 10 but I swear to God this happened.

I think it was Chyna vs. Patterson and Brisco on RAW main eventing. There was a part in the match that Chyna seem dazed out. Brisco and Patterson started laughing at her and then I think started groping her tits. The censors blurred it out so it was hard to make of what was going on but I thought it was them lifting her top out and just laughing at her. As a kid, it really disturbed me.

Yes, it happened.

Does anyone remember this incident? I was like 10 but I swear to God this happened.

I think it was Chyna vs. Patterson and Brisco on RAW main eventing. There was a part in the match that Chyna seem dazed out. Brisco and Patterson started laughing at her and then I think started groping her tits. The censors blurred it out so it was hard to make of what was going on but I thought it was them lifting her top out and just laughing at her. As a kid, it really disturbed me.

Yes, it happened.

And of course, after Patterson grabbed her boobs he shaked his hands in an "eww, that was gross" manner and Lawler even made a crack about how he doesn't think Patterson liked that.

I'm pretty forgiving of most Attitude Era stuff, but that was uncomfortable to watch even when I was in my early 20s and in the prime demographic for Attitude Era WWF product.

I don't think the fake Doinks are that bad. Everyone knows it's not the real one. Tom Brandi stealing the Patriot gimmick is pretty scummy though.

I think what happened is Honky Tonk Man saw that no one owned the Patriot trademark, bought it himself and gave it to Tom Brandi so he could use it on the indies. Still doesn't seem ethically right.

Now that I've gone this way and that with the topic....anyway...have wrestling shows ever retained people who passed away during the airings of X taping of whatever? Besides the Marella example?

Didnt the WWF show Rick McGraw's final match AFTER he died (and then announced his death the week after)? I guess the Marella incident isnt that scummy to be honest, it's more of an example of what can go wrong with pre-taped shows (see also the problems that happened with the WCW Disney tapings).

As I recall, they showed him wrestling Roddy Piper and then implied that the beating administered by Piper had led to McGraw's death. But it was all in one show.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/yge5if/SCGRadio69-ScummiestMomentsPart2.mp3

Join us for Part 2!!! We look at some more of the Scummiest Moments in Wrestling History, as the panel takes your nominations for the lofty title, talking such utterly classless topics as the treatment of Eddie Guerrero's passing, the murder of Bruiser Brody and glorification of Invader #1, Ian Rotten and Rob Black's existence, Trish Stratus barking like a dog, various racial exploitation, the Mass Transit incident, Jeff Hardy at THAT TNA PPV, Fabulous Moolah and Billy Wolfe's treatment of women's wrestling, Roddy Piper's TNA appearance and many, many more. Check it out and let us know what you think!

• 1 year later...

Here's one I just came across:

New Generation Wrestling
July 26, 2002 in Memphis, TN
Mid-South Coliseum drawing 500

1. Tommy Gunn & Ricky Noble beat Derrick King & Allen Steele (9:01).
  2. Koko Ware beat Tyler Gates (3:46).
  3. Don Bass & George South, Sr. beat The Fabulous Rocker & Bitty Little (7:17).
  4. Kid Kash beat Jack Miller (16:50).
  5. The Moondogs beat Chuck King & Thunder (1:52).
  6. Spellbinder won a "battle royal" (8:58).
  7. Leilani Kai beat Stephanie Winners (4:58).
  8. Jimmy Valiant beat Buddy Rose, Jr. (6:46).
  9. The Rock-n-Roll Express beat Buddy Landel & Jamie Dundee (4:41).
  10. Jerry Lawler beat Billy Joe Travis (24:31).

Note: This show as promoted by wrestling fan Matt Holder. It was billed as a fundraiser for a local Christian organization, but had a strip club as a sponsor.

:o :o :o

Also Buddy Rose Jr?