Pro Wrestling Only

2016 WWE Hall of Fame

SteveJRogers

Michael Hayes is a racist piece of shit, but after last night I understand why they have kept him around (aside from racists loving to be surround themselves with other racists), that guys is charismatic as hell. Inviting Michael Hayes to your party, wedding, small social gathering, etc. would create some good stories and I am sure he will have tons to tell.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because someone always talks about how much they love the business doesn't necessarily mean they love it more than others.

Don't we all have a co-worker or two who constantly talks about how hard they work, but in reality doesn't actually work that hard?

Flair, Sting, Funk, Brock, etc. no doubt love the business. I'm sure they love the $$$ that comes with it just as much.

Most wrestlers, especially in a HOF setting, "love wrestling" the way one loves a domineering mother with whom one has never had a cross word. I'm speculating entirely based off his speech and his attitude in recent years, but I would guess Sting "loves wrestling" the way a lot of people love a spouse: ups and downs, passionate times and tough ones, a critical eye delivered with pragmatism and ardor at once.

It isn't that he dislikes or resents it. He's just not a fanboy about it the way many workers are. There's always that locker room adage about "the boys being bigger marks than the fans are". Sting's more into church and buying up land these days, because he's a wealthy, pious 56 year old man. He delivered that HOF address last night the way a corporate executive would give a retirement speech. (I thought he was absolutely great, by the way, even if the sunglasses and bat were weird.)

The irony is that Sting is what Vince/WWE are trying to condition today's wrestlers to be, even if there's a sentimentality that comes out at these events where the truer, messier Michael Hayes spirit of pro wrestling emerges. It's a somewhat mixed message in that Vince wants everyone to act like a board member, while also placing the job at the core of their emotions. Be professional, but still create maudlin moments, so as to depict wrestling as the most important aspect of your life. Tear up once in a while as you get older. In other words: be Vince.

This may be my favorite post ever on the board.

This might be the greatest post ever but jesus christ it makes me depressed as all hell.....

The Bossman daughter who spoke looked like Ronda Rousey and Bossman's love child. Her speech was quite funny and genuine sounding.

It came across to me as a weird speech at first, but only because it was delivered by an actual human being and someone wholly outside the wrestling bubble. You could tell she was more bemused by her dad's crazy career than anything else. There was a bit of affection for wrestling but none of the reverence you got from the rest of the speeches (even Dana Warrior is "all in" now), and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Bossman daughter who spoke looked like Ronda Rousey and Bossman's love child. Her speech was quite funny and genuine sounding.

It came across to me as a weird speech at first, but only because it was delivered by an actual human being and someone wholly outside the wrestling bubble. You could tell she was more bemused by her dad's crazy career than anything else. There was a bit of affection for wrestling but none of the reverence you got from the rest of the speeches (even Dana Warrior is "all in" now), and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dana is exactly how you'd imagine Warrior's wife would be. Attractive, physically very fit and a strong minded woman but half batshit crazy sounding.

1.) I always was a fan of the Von Erich brothers, but what was up with Kevin? I listened to him on a podcast about a year ago and he seemed at peace and living the life in Hawai. I don't know if he was just nervous or if he is just out of touch. I also think he feels that everyone is thinking about his family tradgedy.

Anyway I watched it live and was he reffering to NEW DAY when he said the new gay guys? I just had to laugh when I heard that! I love Kevin though and his family is definately one of the most important in wrestling history.

I wish Kerry's daughter was there! Does anyone know if she still wrestles? She would be a baby-face opponent for Charolotte!

2.) Stan Hansen mentioned Rick Martel. Does anyone know what the beef is between Martel and WWE? I remember seeing an interview with him years ago where he said he would love to be inducted into the WWE HOF.

3.) My biggest criticism of the HOF this year is when they decide not to tell major parts of the story! Personally I never knew about Bossman's "hardcore" run in the WWE. When I think of the Big Boss Man, I think of the Twin Towers vs. The Mega-Powers at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee! I wasn't there but I am from Milwaukee and here in Milwaukee people still bring it up when the Bradley Center is brought up because the Milwaukee Bucks are getting new arena.

I also remember his babyface turn and how over he was. He was the first "action-figure" I got! His entrance theme music was cool back then. The next thing I remember is his WCW run.

Although I don't remember it because I was too young, I think when Ray worked in UWF that it should be mentioned since he was Champion!

bbm-002.jpg

1.) I always was a fan of the Von Erich brothers, but what was up with Kevin? I listened to him on a podcast about a year ago and he seemed at peace and living the life in Hawai. I don't know if he was just nervous or if he is just out of touch. I also think he feels that everyone is thinking about his family tradgedy.

Anyway I watched it live and was he reffering to NEW DAY when he said the new gay guys? I just had to laugh when I heard that! I love Kevin though and his family is definately one of the most important in wrestling history.

I wish Kerry's daughter was there! Does anyone know if she still wrestles? She would be a baby-face opponent for Charolotte!

g]

Lacey Von Erich has 3 kids last I heard. I would imagine her in ring career is over. Not that you can't wrestling having kids, I'm just guessing that she would want to be there for them.

• 6 months later...

He didn't seem to care about people who never did anything in WWE getting in their HOF when he inducted Stu Hart.

If we're looking at it as purely WWE, Stu training people gets him farther than the Freebirds as a unit but maybe not farther than Hayes as a producer.

When did the wrestlers turn into the marks, James Dudley is in it for fuck sake, a limo driver.

Bret always was the biggest mark, Vince will put in who he wants if he thinks he can make money of them.

Or in the case of James Dudley, probably a nice thing to do for a friend/good employee of his.

Are the wrestlers the only ones thinking this is legit?

When did the wrestlers turn into the marks, James Dudley is in it for fuck sake, a limo driver.

Bret always was the biggest mark, Vince will put in who he wants if he thinks he can make money of them.

Or in the case of James Dudley, probably a nice thing to do for a friend/good employee of his.

Are the wrestlers the only ones thinking this is legit?

No, there are still tons of fans who spent way too much time complaining about who is/isn't in the WWE HOF.

A few years ago the Baseball Hall of Fame was in a real pickle as NO ONE was selected by the main voting base for inductions, the Baseball Writers Association of America. They took a further hit because out of the three rotation Vet Committee ballots up for induction consideration was pre-1947, which meant of all three inductees elected from this method, they had to bring people quite removed from being first generation relatives! Also the winner of the broadcaster award had died a few years earlier, and so the only actual inductee/award winner that was able to make the ceremony was the winner of the writers award!

While these things happen (long story short, a lot of PED users/suspected of users made up the BBWAA ballot that year), but to make something viable to entice people to show up, they held formal inductions for several classes that didn't have one due to WWII (that's right, pulling from the 1940s) travel restrictions, including two of the greatest hitters of all-time and to this day considered among the top 5 GOAT at their positions.

Point being, of course its a show, just because its a committee of one deciding who deserves to be inducted or not based in part with how much marketability their induction will be, doesn't mean it doesn't deserve as much conversation as a HOF with a much bigger voting base but exists entirely on one man's hard drive, and one that I'm not entirely sure the inductees even know they are in (Austin talking Sting's HOF chances with Meltzer, thinking he is talking WWE while Meltzer meant the WON).