Pro Wrestling Only

Vince McMahon

Grimmas

I'd vote for him. Match-for-match, he's got a pretty great record. Regardless of how carefully they're booked and called, regardless of just how much smoke and how many mirrors they use, the fact remains that any random Vince match is often better than any random match from most other wrestlers.

One performance that stands out is Rumble 99 (I think that's the one he wins right?). Now from a wrestling stand point, that is one of the less fondly remembered ones, but ...

I recall watching it as it happened and marking out to see Vince exploit every rule I'd speculated about for years. I always wondered why guys DIDN'T do that, and there was Vince doing it.

That sense of seeing the unthinkable is what made Vince so amazing as it was happening. You got to explore all those "what if" scenarios you (okay, well maybe just those of us of a certain nerdy disposition ;)) had thought about. What if the heel in a cage match just immediately bee-lined for the door? Stuff like that.

It explored the limits of the universe and its internal rules. And I absolutely loved it. In hindsight we can see it ended up breaking wrestling, perhaps forever, but at the time it was so much fun, especially for a life long heel fan.

However, Vince has zero chance at making my list because he'll score 0 in about three categories and wasn't a wrestler.

Cornette should rank above Vince if anyone is seriously considering him. And if you want to see what Vince is like without infinite time to craft something in advance, check out the match with Flair on Raw in 2002 after Austin walked out. Not exactly a shining moment.

I'd vote for him. Match-for-match, he's got a pretty great record. Regardless of how carefully they're booked and called, regardless of just how much smoke and how many mirrors they use, the fact remains that any random Vince match is often better than any random match from most other wrestlers.

I totally agree with this. Even the last match he had against CM Punk was great fun to watch, I vividly remember watching that on my phone on a work break and enjoying it so much. My favourite match of his is probably the one against Hogan at Mania 19. To this day I can't believe how Bret / Pat / Vince screwed up that Wrestlemania match so badly, with the basic psychology being so completely ass backwards.

Regardless, he wouldn't crack my top 200, there simply isn't enough matches to gauge it properly, and as said above, I don't think he has ever been in a straight wrestling match.

Anyone else dig the cage match between DX and Vince/Shane/Big Show from 06'? Haven't watched it since the night it aired, but I rememer having a blast watching it at a bar with my buddies back then.

On that same note, I dug the WM22 match between Vince and Shawn. It was a blatant retread of the matches Vince had 4-5 years earlier, but in 2006, after a bit of a gap in Vince's in-ring action, it was really fun to see him out there, bumping and bleeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Vince never had to work a rigorous in-ring schedule. He never had the responsibility of carrying someone less experienced in the ring. He never had to worry about taking a receipt from whoever he was working with that night. Unless he has an undocumented secret life as a luchador that we have not yet discovered, he has never had to do anything that resembled the totality of a career as a professional wrestler.

Just...no.

Another one of those guys that I just can't believe is being considered. He's not like Sabu in the sense that there was a method to his madness. He was just sloppy and hell, having one good match against Austin is nothing to write home about. I enjoyed Shane in the DX stuff in 2006, but Vince was atrocious. Wouldn't be in my Top 500.

Another one of those guys that I just can't believe is being considered. He's not like Sabu in the sense that there was a method to his madness. He was just sloppy and hell, having one good match against Austin is nothing to write home about. I enjoyed Shane in the DX stuff in 2006, but Vince was atrocious. Wouldn't be in my Top 500.

I actually think Shane was the atrocious one in 2006. Unbelievably shitty and actively ruining matches with his utter bullshit. Vince wasn't any great shakes either, but he was miles better than Shane was during that period, and overall is about a hundred times the pro wrestler that Shane was.