Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-03-10-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantell vs Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell

Superstar Sleeze

Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantell vs Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell - Memphis 3/16/86

Going into watching Memphis, this is exactly what I expected! Chaos! Violence! Energy! Hatred! I thought this match was dripping with even more hatred than either of the Loser Leaves Town matches thus far. Dundee was a lunatic in this match. Throwing chairs into the ring, shoving Lance Russell around, tossing tables. Dundee's eye is half shut going into this match maybe retribution for what happened to the King in December. Dutch had a falling out with that little Aussie Prick and has joined forces with Lawler. Lawler and Mantell are crazy in this match chasing the heels around and kicking ass. I love Lawler parading around when Landell accidentally punched Dundee. He looked like Martel or Flair with all that energy! The heels jawing, cowardice and general blundering is awesome. Landell pinballing and then Dundee running away scared was hilarious. So many damn great punches in this match. Lawler teases the piledriver, but settles for a uppercut. He goads Dundee into the match only to move when Dundee tries to drop a leg. Lawler finally gets what he wanted. He tees off on the Superstar. I love Mantell with one foot in the ring at all times ready to pounce on Landell. Lawler kicking ass. Dutch makes sure to get his licks in. Dundee has tapped a gusher. This is a great revenge match. I am really digging it. Dundee throws a wild kick to the Royal Family Jewels and there is a quite cry of anguish. Dundee falls on his ass and is able to tag out to Nature Boy. Landell and Dundee do a number on the King throwing him into the table and kicking Dirty Dutch in the balls. Dundee and Mantell brawling out on the floor, this is chaos. Dundee has the friggin rope and is choking Lawler. Love it! Dundee gouges Lawler's face, but Mantell pulls him off. Dundee is firing away, but it is not having any effect. Dundee goes for the chain, but nails Landell who is now busted open. Tag to Dutch and it is a WAR! Dutch and Dundee brawl on the outside. Lawler and Mantell beat the living shit out of Landell while they take turns throwing Dundee out. The ref realizes Landell is not defending himself and calls the match for blood.

Awesome, awesome tag match. I thought it had even better energy and hatred than than Loser Leaves Town. The match is hurt by an anti-climatic finish that does not let you fist-pump in an excitement and the finish stretch does get a little long in tooth as they just keep kicking ass and throwing Dundee out. Enough complaints, this was badass and was one of the best Memphis matches I have ever seen and one of the best tag team matches of all time. ****1/2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just rewatched as excellent as I remember. Memphis is a great Tag Team territory. Maybe the best of all time in the US? Consummate babyface vs heel dynamics. Right kind of energy from both teams. I love all the heel cheating. As good as Lawler & Dutch were, Billy & Buddy stole the show with all their antics. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-03-10-CWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler & Dutch Mantell vs Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell
  • 4 months later...

Too chaotic. I'm not staying I didn't like it but still. My issue with that kind of tag matches is that too many things happen in the same time. So, I'm not able to see well everything that happens.

From what I've seen yet, AWA is a better tag team territory because of Buddy Rose/Doug Somers and the Midnight Rockers.