Pro Wrestling Only

Mystery Titans Theatre

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are more than welcome.

As to why this card was taped, I really have no idea. It's pretty random. The only thing I'm guessing is that they needed some footage for Prime Time Wrestling and were running low on lousy undercard matches nobody wanted to see. IIRC they re-aired quite a few matches around this time so it might have been a question of needing something.

There were a few other cards from this arena filmed over the years. December of 1990 but that's a much better card for a 4k arena, with Dusty-Dibiase, Jake-Martel, Earthquake and the Hart Foundation. I've actually been looking for that card for years as it has the first competitive Undertaker singles match (with Koko) and I'm curious to see how it worked.

I share a birthday with Jack Brisco,

Quick catch up Johnny. While Jimmy Hart did manage Greg Valentine and Dino Bravo, and at the same time, the New Dream Team was broken up by then. They did team together once against the Rockers in 89 during the Ron Garvin referee storyline but they never actually reunited as a team, Just a one off thing,

Funny that Johnny and I are in complete agreement about the bizarre ignorant love of all things Japanese.

And PWO's bizarre niche of the niche status.

Yeah Bret as a good guy in Canada only started in 87. I am not sure what the crowd reaction would have been in old Stampede cities, but none of those cards were televised.

He was brought back to Stampede in 87 to work a mini program with Davey Boy and was treated like a heel by the crowd from what I remember. Like I said on the show, I knew he was from Calgary and I loved Owen, but had no patriotic attachment to Bret at that time. He was just another bad guy as far as I was concerned, and one I disliked more than most because he played a part in my beloved Bulldogs losing the belts

You guys are more than welcome.

As to why this card was taped, I really have no idea. It's pretty random. The only thing I'm guessing is that they needed some footage for Prime Time Wrestling and were running low on lousy undercard matches nobody wanted to see. IIRC they re-aired quite a few matches around this time so it might have been a question of needing something.

I also wonder if CanCon had anything to do with it. The syndicated shows in Canada had Maple Leaf Garden or sometimes Copps Coliseum content added in, as well as Canada-centric local promos and Event Centers, to conform to Canadian content regulations. It may have been taped for that reason.

I'll take this card from 5/22/94 in Columbus against this London card or any other (and ignore thehistoryofwwe for this--the results are wrong):

- Duke Droese, who had just debuted, vs. some guy (Graham says Dave Heath and it may well have been)

- Koko B. Ware (?) vs. John Paul (?!), who was subbing for the Genius (??!!). Paul even got the "Girls in Cars" entrance despite being the ostensible heel.

- The Smoking Gunns vs. The Bushwhackers (yeah, make sense of that one)

- 1-2-3 Kid vs. Bastion Booger (who hadn't been on TV in 6 months)

- Maybe another match or two I can't remember. Tatanka vs. Crush was advertised but may or may not have taken place.

- Main event: Yokozuna vs. Typhoon, who was a surprise sub for the departed Earthquake.

Just dire, and possibly the WWF at its lowest point ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making my way through the 5/19/84 Cap Center card, and I'm surprised you guys missed something: What is Tiger Chung Lee, who's supposed to be Korean, doing wearing tights with the Japanese flag on them? I know he was teaming with Fuji, but Korean flag patches couldn't have been that hard to find, could they?

Also, most of the rundown on the YouTube description comes from the 6/9/84 card. I think the only match you list from this card is Blair/Goulet.

That's a cool find because it's a friggen worked judo match in 1978 MSG, and also because it is from a card that was untelevised in the States. The only matches to make tape were filmed for Japanese TV, with a 6-man between Andre/Mascaras/Dusty vs Patera/Fuji/Tanaka being the other one I've seen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kelly and Johnny are back to guide you through yet another WWF spectacular, this time the 10/13/1985 "Hulkamania" card from Maple Leaf Gardens! In honor of the GWE, 7% of Kelly's top 100 are present, including no less than 3 men from his top ten and his overall number 1! And in honor of bad taste, plenty of talk about Ron Garvin's nipples!