Pro Wrestling Only

Mr. Fuji

Grimmas

Not a joke nomination, Fuji is legit the MVP of many an MSG card.

The guy had great and effective psychology, and -- in an place and era defined by very lazy workers -- stands out with his great stooging and bumping. He is not a guy who will be shooting for any top 50 spots, but he is someone worth considering.

He's a guy who has risen and risen in my estimation the more I've seen of him. I'd easily have him above Tony Garea, for example, who is his contemporary in almost every way.

Fuji / Saito will do very well on my tag list.

I will say that I've seen a couple of good Fuji performances. The guy was a great heel. I'm not too terribly interested in watching late 70s-early 80s undercard matches, but I can't bury Fuji too much. I do like the guy he's just never jumped out at me as someone who's elite.

• 1 month later...

If Fuji's peak had been in the mid-late 80s or even in the 90s, rather than in the less-watched 70s / early-80s period, I think he might have more advocates.

I imagine it does look really absurd to some people that I think he's someone to consider, but he is the stand-out performer on many a card.

I will put him through and see what his numbers are, but if I was more the type to make statements with my list Fuji would probably be on there.