Your "So So Good" Top 100 Matches of All Time

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

We've had a bunch of activity with people making top 100 matches lists and I figured fuck it, lets start a thread. So in honor of Tim, I decided to start the "So So Good" Top 100 Matches of All Time thread. So if you've got a top 100 matches list, share it! If you don't, make one! Lists are fun!

I've been playing around for a few days and was making changes up until 15 seconds ago.  There are a ton of things I'd like to rewatch to make sure I get the correct dates. There are definitely some Buddy Rose, Fujiwara, Fabulous Ones, etc matches I'm sure would make a top 100 for me but I need to rewatch to be sure I get the right Fujiwara/Super Tiger for example. But in the meantime...

Spoiler

edit to correct date of Regal/Ohno

#2 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

Great to see the Queendom tag so high.

#3 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

We've definitely seen every possible variant of ranking Flair-Steamboat trilogy now.

I was 1. Clash, 2. Chi-Town, 3. Wrestlewar

Chad was 1. Clash, 2. Wrestlewar, 3. Chi-town

I think Tim was 1. Chi-town, 2. Clash, 3. Wrestlewar

And now elliott is 1. Wrestlewar, 2. Clash, 3. Chi-town

Pretty amazing.

#4 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

We've definitely seen every possible variant of ranking Flair-Steamboat trilogy now.

I was 1. Clash, 2. Chi-Town, 3. Wrestlewar

Chad was 1. Clash, 2. Wrestlewar, 3. Chi-town

I think Tim was 1. Chi-town, 2. Clash, 3. Wrestlewar

And now elliott is 1. Wrestlewar, 2. Clash, 3. Chi-town

Pretty amazing.

1. Chi-town 2. Wrestlewar 3. Clash (which is my order, funnily enough) and 1. Wrestlewar 2. Chi-Town 3. Clash are still left.

#5 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Great to see the Queendom tag so high.

That's the only real contender to the Sangre Chicana monopoly at the top for me.

#6 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

I should have waited 30 minutes to post my list because I just watched that Super Dragon vs Necro Butcher for the first time. Holy shit.

#7 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Love the diversity of this list.  Absolutely zero consensus from what I can see.  Perhaps a little more lucha than some others?  Definitely a strong reminder that I have to check out many classics that department. 

#8 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

I was Chi-Town, WrestleWar, Clash.

#9 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

I have to confess that I don't understand why people put Clash anything but #1, for me it is the best match of all time.

I was absolutely mesmerised the first time I saw it. It it has never lost anything on subsequent viewings.

Arguments put forth here: https://soundcloud.c...eamboat-clash-6

What are the respective arguments for putting Chi-Town or Wrestlewar ahead of it?

#10 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Different strokes.

#11 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Different strokes.

See, it's meant to be a conversation starter not ender. In practice all it ever does is shut down discourse, analysis and reasoning.

At the very least it should be possible to go into what strokes appeal to what folks.

#12 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

Different strokes.

See, it's meant to be a conversation starter not ender. In practice all it ever does is shut down discourse, analysis and reasoning.

At the very least it should be possible to go into what strokes appeal to what folks.

So make a thread. This isn't really the place for THAT conversation.

#13 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

It should be the place for the Flair vs. Steamer comparisons though.

I just didn't hear anyone go into specifically why they'd put the other two over Clash.

#14 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4391 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I agree Clash is the best, but I could see a case for Chi-Town because it was so tight and because the finish was a cool moment. I don't see much argument for Wrestle War, which probably wouldn't make my top 100.

#15 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

I disagree. It isn't even about the trilogy. It is about top 100 matches per poster. Why reduce the thread into another wank about Flair/Steamboat? Make a thread if that question really perplexes you.

#16 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4391 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, it's a thread about top 100 match lists, and he's talking about three matches that feature prominently in a lot of top 100s. Nothing wrong with that at all.

#17 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Im really not trying to be antagonistic but Im just not interested in that talk. But obviously thats just me and Im not the boss here.

#18 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

I agree Clash is the best, but I could see a case for Chi-Town because it was so tight and because the finish was a cool moment. I don't see much argument for Wrestle War, which probably wouldn't make my top 100.

See I'm the same, have Wrestlewar some ways behind the other two. And I guess I'm just curious about the Wrestlewar love.

I made the analogy before that Clash is the classic album, Chi-Town the killer single, and Wrestlewar the greatest hits tour. It's always felt a bit less vital than than the other two for me.

#19 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I started a poll + thread for ranking the Flair-Steamboat '89 series if anyone is interested.

#20 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:18 PM

I'm on break at work and am going to a show later so I probably won't be able to give a full response till tomorrow. But the whole point of making a top 100 and sharing it was so people can pick at it and ask questions. So I have zero problem with parv asking about the Flair/Steamboat matches. WrestleWar feels more like a life experience than a classic wrestling match if that makes sense. Like the culmination of Flair's career up to that point. I also can't separate the post match angle either so that plays a roll. I'll have a lot more to say later on. But those matches are So So Good :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users