Your "So So Good" Top 100 Matches of All Time

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5673 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I've been living in Japan for too long cos when I saw that title I thought it was a list of matches that are just okay. 

Nice to see you still carrying the torch for Queendom after all these years. 

#22 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 9887 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

Swell list Elliott. One match I want to rewatch is Final Conflict with both you and Tim having it on your respective lists. I remember in the early infancy of WTBBP thinking it was a great Sarge performance and had some big spots that played off the blowoff to the feud but also had some annoying moments like the lack of cage work in the early beginning. Still gave the match ***3/4 or so but it is one of the few matches on the top 100 list like these where I am a bit perplexed that it has placed for some people based on my feelings. 

#23 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

Fun list. I wish I could pull it off but I don't think I could make a list I'd be happy with. 

#24 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

I find rating matches a million times more difficult than wrestlers. I'm not sure I could ever do a list like this.

These 100 matches are really great reference points though.

#25 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

I actually find ranking matches much easier and more enjoyable, but I'll never feel like I've seen enough.

#26 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

Loss, you have to see it as a snapshot as opposed to something definitive.

Also, because I'd love to know what that list would look like so much, I'd happily record you and just sit there saying "well Charles, what's your number 89 then and why do you have it there?"

#27 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

I agree Clash is the best, but I could see a case for Chi-Town because it was so tight and because the finish was a cool moment. I don't see much argument for Wrestle War, which probably wouldn't make my top 100.

See I'm the same, have Wrestlewar some ways behind the other two. And I guess I'm just curious about the Wrestlewar love.

I made the analogy before that Clash is the classic album, Chi-Town the killer single, and Wrestlewar the greatest hits tour. It's always felt a bit less vital than than the other two for me.

Wrestlewar had a really interesting dynamic for me with Flair coming in vulnerable (due to the chicken wing threat) and desperate in his final chance to win back the title. Steamboat pretty much dominates him and Flair is almost an underdog. But he is still really savvy and uses his wits to force Steamboat to abandon his strategy and then capitalizes on it. It is probably his best performance, IMO.

#28 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

I've been living in Japan for too long cos when I saw that title I thought it was a list of matches that are just okay. 

I have gone to Japan too much because I thought exactly the same thing.

#29 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

That's the match that hasn't moved from the top 3ish spots for my "favorite/best matches I've ever seen" pretty much since I first saw it almost 16 years ago. Every time I watch it I always expect to not love it as much as before but it never happens. A common phrase you'll hear about great long matches is "this went almost 40 minutes but it flew by" or some variation of that. The Queendom match is long and it feels like a long match. But I mean that in the best possible way. They had a big story to tell and pulled it off. Its like the Lawrence of Arabia of wrestling matches with Akira Hokuto as Lawrence and Shinobu Kandori as Sherif Ali.

#30 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:09 AM

Fun list. I wish I could pull it off but I don't think I could make a list I'd be happy with. 

It is a neverending project in a lot of ways. My top 6 I feel really good about. But after that it gets more difficult for sure and I could make changes endlessly.

There are a bunch of  matches that didn't make that first draft because I either inexplicably forgot about them like Casas vs Santo from 97, Dandy vs Azteca from 90, and Maeda vs Takada from 88, wasn't sure on the dates like various Rose/Martel, Rose/Piper, Fujiwara/Sayama, Fujiwara/Maeda, Fabs/Moondogs, every BattlArts match, and in the case of Super Dragon vs Necro Butcher I just didn't watch it in time. I was putting this out there as a snapshot/rough draft.

So I plan on revisiting this as I watch more stuff and may even extend it to a top 200 or switch it up and do "Top 100 Favorite Matches" list instead of best even if there would be some overlap.

I also kinda, sorta, maybe, think we should do a top 100 matches poll after the GWE finishes up.

#31 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:04 AM

I remember doing a Top 100 matches list years ago and it was pretty much 95% modern WWE, with a handful of TNA and twentieth century matches thrown in. It would probably look exceedingly ridiculous now, but that's where I was in my wrestling viewing at that time.

I kind of feel like I should attempt a list now just to see the difference. To be honest, I still find it hard to compare my favourite WWE matches to my favourite "other" matches, because it's so hard to go past the ones that you grew up on and lived through.

In that sense I actually find it much easier to compare wrestlers for GWE than compare matches for a Best Matches list. But I find it much more enjoyable to make lists of matches than lists of wrestlers.

#32 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

To move back a ways, as a way of providing some reasoning for Wrestlewar, I probably have it JUST edging out the clash match as my favorite because I like how so many of the spots subtly call back to other things that happened early. I think the story of all three is one of Steamboat being a little quicker, a little more athletic, and just getting the best of Flair in the first two. Flair on the other hand is always learning and starts anticipating Steamboat's moves a bit more each time out. By the third match he gets a step ahead.  For example, in wrestlewar there are a few spots where Steamer goes for something he hit and hit BIG in the first two. My favorite was the big running cross body. He hit that in both I think, (maybe just one), but it was a big flashy offensive move for Steamer that helped him get momentum and demonstrate that he had Flair's number. In Wrestlewar Flair just drops out of the way and Steamboat flies out of the ring and it is a turning point in the match. I read that as Flair's preparation, muscle memory, and study paying off in the long run, the story of what makes him a great champion paying off long term. I remember seeing Flair getting an extra counter or two to some of Steamer's better moves in the second match and then a few more in the third and it is that payoff i really liked. I also see in my notes on the matches that Flair's offense felt a little more urgent throughout, a little more ruthless, just in the way he was using his body language and the spaces between moves.  I don't have a specific instance noted so I might have to look again to see exactly what I mean, but that is something that struck me on last watch.

Ultimately, i have all three of them at 5 stars because I don't think you can detach them from one another. They are all 4 and 3/4 or 5 in a vacuum, but I just can't help but think about and rate them with a mind to how they worked together in the bigger story they were telling.  I could go back today and watch them and might have them in different spots, depending on what I am really paying attention to or what is standing out. Last time I watched though I had Wrestlewar just a hair ahead of Clash and chi-town coming in third. 

As for the topic... fun list. I can see myself wanting to spend my evening starting a working list like this sometime in the near future. I just watched that Sangre Chicana vs MS-1 match over the holidays and it is hard to argue with it up top.

#33 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

Also, I am really glad to see Cena vs Dragon on there. I think that match got unfairly lost behind the Brock vs Punk match that night and I think Cena/Dragon was much better.  Bryan is my favorite wrestler ever probably and that is maybe my favorite Bryan match, though I have Nigel/Dragon from United rated higher.

I would also like to hear why you have Flair and Funk's Bash match so much higher than their Clash match. I think maybe most people do, but I always found the Clash match much more compelling and satisfying. I am a sucker for blood too. I just find think Flair and Funk really lack momentum for the entire first half of the Bash match and when I am watching really critically I get hung up on that.  It would very likely make my top 100 list, but I am just more into the Clash match. I am just curious about your thinking on it.

#34 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

I don't see at all how ranking wrestlers is easier than ranking matches. If you watch a match 5 times and have read a little about its background, you have a pretty well informed opinion on that match. Compare that to watching 5 matches from a guy for the GWE and reading a little about his background, which can only ever give you a very superficial understanding of them.

I'd also argue that it works much better as a snapshot since it could be updated every year or 2 due to not requiring the same massive viewing/discussion project as GWE. Also, it gives a much better idea of what people like and how they rank the new shit with the usual suspects seeing the matches directly ranked instead of just the wrestlers involved.

#35 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

I don't see at all how ranking wrestlers is easier than ranking matches. If you watch a match 5 times and have read a little about its background, you have a pretty well informed opinion on that match. Compare that to watching 5 matches from a guy for the GWE and reading a little about his background, which can only ever give you a very superficial understanding of them.

I'd also argue that it works much better as a snapshot since it could be updated every year or 2 due to not requiring the same massive viewing/discussion project as GWE. Also, it gives a much better idea of what people like and how they rank the new shit with the usual suspects seeing the matches directly ranked instead of just the wrestlers involved.

I wasn't really clear - I meant that I find it easier to compare wrestlers from different eras than compare matches from different eras without being hampered by sentimentality.

I can look at, say, John Cena and compare him to other guys that I didn't grow up on for the purposes of GWE, and I feel like I can at least entertain the notion of having someone else above him, even though he's my favourite. But if you ask me to compare, say, Cena vs Umaga to the best matches from other eras that I didn't grow up on, I would never in a million years be able to rank those matches above it.

And the same holds true for all my favourite matches. Even now, if I made a Top 100 list and tried to put them in order I can't even imagine how far down I would get before I listed something that wasn't modern WWE. Embarrassingly far, I'm guessing. And it's not that I'm a blind mark I just...individual matches evoke something more visceral out of me than a wrestler's whole career. I need to feel it, and like everyone generally speaking, I feel most for the things I grew up on, and I find it hard to compare that to something I'm watching much more out of context.

#36 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

Admittedly I feel like sort of a scumbag doing this but self-interest forces me to say a GME project in the vein of GWE will be going down for those interested. It is over at VoW but I'm essentially organizing it.

If that needs to be deleted so be it but I thought it would interest those that are looking/posting in this thread

http://voicesofwrest...7834af104d875de

#37 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43381 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Don't be silly. Of course you can promote that here.

#38 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:52 AM

So this is my little present to myself now that GWE and all that it entails is (almost) over. I have turned away from the weight of ranking wrestlers for all eternity, and sought solace in the comforting arms of my favourite ever matches.

I've been thinking about the idea of doing this for a while, but I've just spent an hour or so writing it out off the top of my head, without doing any preparation or rewatching or anything. Once you get past the first 25 or so the order is a TOTAL crapshoot, just me sliding matches in somewhere that looked good as I thought of them. I will hate this thing in a week, not to mention all the matches I've forgotten, but whatever. Just listing them out and thinking about all these awesome matches with no pressure to put them in any wider context was wonderful. Like I said, this was my reward for getting through GWE.

I said above my previous Top 100 list was like 90% modern WWE. I've clearly grown a lot in those couple years because now my list is only about two-thirds modern WWE. Progress.

My Top 100 Greatest / Best / Favourite / So So Good Matches of All Time (they all mean the same fucking thing)

Spoiler

#39 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:45 AM

So this is my little present to myself now that GWE and all that it entails is (almost) over. I have turned away from the weight of ranking wrestlers for all eternity, and sought solace in the comforting arms of my favourite ever matches.

I've been thinking about the idea of doing this for a while, but I've just spent an hour or so writing it out off the top of my head, without doing any preparation or rewatching or anything. Once you get past the first 25 or so the order is a TOTAL crapshoot, just me sliding matches in somewhere that looked good as I thought of them. I will hate this thing in a week, not to mention all the matches I've forgotten, but whatever. Just listing them out and thinking about all these awesome matches with no pressure to put them in any wider context was wonderful. Like I said, this was my reward for getting through GWE.

I said above my previous Top 100 list was like 90% modern WWE. I've clearly grown a lot in those couple years because now my list is only about two-thirds modern WWE. Progress.

My Top 100 Greatest / Best / Favourite / So So Good Matches of All Time (they all mean the same fucking thing)

Spoiler

So I assume you've never seen Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard "I Quit" Steel Cage match for the United States Title from Starrcade 1985? Cause, ya really should.  B)

#40 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

I definitely have. Love that match, it's one of the matches that just missed out. It would make my top 200 for sure.

There are tonnes of great matches I couldn't fit on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users