Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:02 AM

No Bret Hart matches is interesting...

#42 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

Not to me haha. Just sort of backs up what I've always said about Bret, that he's fine but doesn't really resonate with me on a higher level.

For what it's worth, the Bret matches I like most are Austin at WM, and the Owen cage match. The latter was always one of my favourite "old" matches back when 90% of the "old" stuff I'd seen was whatever happened to get on WWE released DVDs. But there's nothing that would come too close to my personal list.

No lucha matches is far more interesting to me, now that I've noticed that. For how much more I "get" and enjoy lucha these days, I still don't have even one standout match that I can point to for a list like this. My favourite lucha match is probably still When Worlds Collide. With lucha all the matches blend together for me, I just let them wash over me and see what takeaways I got from them in terms of individual workers. But that was looking at it through a GWE lens.

#43 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Football (The european version),
    Reading, Video Games, TV-Series, Movies, Comicbooks. . .

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:56 AM

Not to me haha. Just sort of backs up what I've always said about Bret, that he's fine but doesn't really resonate with me on a higher level.

For what it's worth, the Bret matches I like most are Austin at WM, and the Owen cage match. The latter was always one of my favourite "old" matches back when 90% of the "old" stuff I'd seen was whatever happened to get on WWE released DVDs. But there's nothing that would come too close to my personal list.

Finally someone who expresses the exact same view about Hart as I do.

#44 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:37 AM

List kinda sucks Jimmy. At times, an open troll on standards of decency and good taste.

#45 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:29 AM

List kinda sucks Jimmy. At times, an open troll on standards of decency and good taste.

Nothing else could endorse my list better than this.

#46 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

That's a real list, Jimmy. None of this bloody pandering from BIGBORE.

#47 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

Yeah but at the end of the day she's put Trish Stratus matches and HHH vs Shelton Benjamin over Clash 6; so you know. If the new paradigm is to celebrate that, it's a paradigm that is ultimately wanting.

#48 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:57 AM

That's because she has a pulse. Yiou sure stopped defending the voting base in a hurry.

#49 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:59 AM

Let's all marinate in the juices of unbridled subjectivity and celebrate as Justin Bieber fans gleefully declare Believe as being "better than Nirvana, Bob Dylan and Prince combined".

One fan was quoted as saying, "the music just speaks to me so much more. I just love 'All Around the World' featuring Ludacris! It means so much to me!"

Another said, "Justin Bieber gives us the eternal cry of youth, his music will be remembered for years to come".

Let us celebrate.

#50 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

I now wholeheartedly regret ranking Clash VI over Shelton vs Viscera and Victoria vs Cherry.

#51 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

snapelookinggrumpy.gif

I might review some of these matches later, why not.

#52 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

You should. Feed the soul.

I don't begrudge you your silly little Ted matches mate.

#53 NotJayTabb

NotJayTabb
  • Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

Love that Shelton/Viscera match. Watched New Years Revolution on a whim last month and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Really fun match that no-one talks about.

#54 TheU_2001

TheU_2001
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

We've definitely seen every possible variant of ranking Flair-Steamboat trilogy now.

I was 1. Clash, 2. Chi-Town, 3. Wrestlewar

Chad was 1. Clash, 2. Wrestlewar, 3. Chi-town

I think Tim was 1. Chi-town, 2. Clash, 3. Wrestlewar

And now elliott is 1. Wrestlewar, 2. Clash, 3. Chi-town

Pretty amazing.

I agree with Chad.
1. Clash VI (my all time favorite match too)
2. Wrestle War '89
3. Chi-Town Rumble '89

#55 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

Just watched Shelton/Viscera because of this and...it didn't stand out at all. Actually, the only noteworthy thing was the presence of Shelton's 'momma' at ringside. Top contender for one of the most annoying things I've ever seen, in or out of wrestling.

Verdict: I regret watching!

#56 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

4. Trish Stratus vs Mickie James - WWE Wrestlemania 22

Watched this based on the high ranking and it was quite good. The character work was interesting and Mickie's work on Trish's leg looked really good and Trish sold it extremely well. Also the finish is a good example for why penalizing matches for botches can be counterproductive as the messed up spot at the end can be seen as a positive by saying Trish's bad leg buckled (which adds to the match) instead of treating it like negative and saying they screwed up. *** 1/2

#57 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:34 PM

11. Trish Stratus vs Lita - WWE Raw 6th December 2004

Very good stuff. Hard fought and they managed to generate quite a bit of drama. Lita was good as the babyface challenger and Trish was great as the desperate heel champion. *** 1/2

5. Trish Stratus vs Lita - WWE Unforgiven 2006

This time the roles were completely reversed and both adapted to them well. Another good match. *** 1/4

#58 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

Updated on next page

#59 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2736 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:06 AM

deleted

#60 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:17 AM

My list was in chronological order, but since everyone else is doing rankings, I will as well. I didn't do any extensive rewatching or analysis, just a quick "which one would I rather watch" gut reaction. My top ten is pretty well set in stone, but everything after that is tentative. I'll probably change my mind as soon as I click Post.

Yep this kind of list is an eternal work in progress. Posted mine a few hours ago and would already make some big changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users