Your "So So Good" Top 100 Matches of All Time

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 conker8

conker8
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

Are the matches from July 78 and 1980 from All Japan or Detroit? I want to say there were even more matches with this foursome in Detroit and Amarillo.

Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZssQv6hX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLB9gSkJmlM

#122 slabinski611

slabinski611
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

Is the Funks vs Abby/Sheik tag from 78 online anywhere ? Having just seen the 77 tag, I really want to see thenext match now. Man do they carv up Terrys arm in that 77 match. Just wow.

#123 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

I will maintain forever that 78 is *****

No idea why it keeps getting yanked down.

#124 zep81

zep81
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Is the Funks vs Abby/Sheik tag from 78 online anywhere ? Having just seen the 77 tag, I really want to see thenext match now. Man do they carv up Terrys arm in that 77 match. Just wow.

Terry & Dory Funk vs. Abdullah The Butcher & The Sheik (12/9/78)

This one?

I could put it up on YT if still needed.

#125 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:07 AM

The full Funks/Arabs series and just about every other noteworthy pre-split AJPW match is on the AJPW Archive Google Drive. Kind of surprised people here weren't aware of it.

#126 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Well post a link to it then

#127 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

https://drive.google...ZXJuaE44bm40eHc

#128 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 2001 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Might as well add mine. As it stands, it runs a little long. Everything from #93 through #110 is basically tied for 93rd. Even running over, there are obviously a ton of great matches left of the list. 

Spoiler

#129 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5567 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Might as well add mine. As it stands, it runs a little long. Everything from #93 through #110 is basically tied for 93rd. Even running over, there are obviously a ton of great matches left of the list. 

I freaking love these lists. Never, ever tire of looking over them.  I'll need to try and compile mine at some point, but a) when I sit down to put that time into wrestling (which is certainly often enough) I end up watching something rather than looking through lists to collect all of the top matches and B) I have no idea at all how I'd rank everything I've rated most highly.  But those are good problems to have.

#130 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 2001 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

I freaking love these lists. Never, ever tire of looking over them. 

I feel the same way. Almost every time I look at someone's list I find a new match or two (or twenty) to love. And I find it really interesting to see what different people's tastes are, and how they match up with and differ from mine.

I definitely recommend making a list. I found the process very interesting and I feel like I understand my own taste in wrestling better now, if that makes sense. It'll be interesting to revisit this down the line and see what's changed.

#131 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5567 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

I freaking love these lists. Never, ever tire of looking over them. 

I feel the same way. Almost every time I look at someone's list I find a new match or two (or twenty) to love. And I find it really interesting to see what different people's tastes are, and how they match up with and differ from mine.

I definitely recommend making a list. I found the process very interesting and I feel like I understand my own taste in wrestling better now, if that makes sense. It'll be interesting to revisit this down the line and see what's changed.

Totally makes sense.  How did you go about it?  I've tried tracking how I rate most matches over the last few years, so on the one hand I could gather up those I've rated 5 and 4.75 and work from there.  That obviously leaves out certain personal favorites that I wouldn't try to argue are on the periphery of the discussion of the best matches ever, but I love them nonetheless for whatever reason.  But that gets into best vs. favorite.

#132 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 2001 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

My basic method was to make a huge list of matches that I believe qualify as "objectively" pretty great (I.e. 4.5 stars plus), then try to narrow that down to 100.

My first attempt, I went with "What matches do I think belong on everyone's list?" as my main criterion for ranking. I think that was a pretty great list... but it wasn't MY list.

There are a few matches (Billyken vs Togo, Harada vs Kotoge, Ebessan vs Kuishinbou) that I sincerely believe are in the "pretty great" range that probably resonate more with me because Osaka Pro is my local indie promotion and I know and like the people involved. There are some matches that I rank in that range that may fly a little under the collective radar where maybe others might rank them more like 4 1/4 stars or whatever (like Vader & Tenta vs Albright & Yamazaki, that one Tenryu & Hara vs Jumbo & Yatsu match where I felt like all the pieces came together perfectly, or that Usos vs New Day match that is the only recent WWE match that really blew me away).

I tried a list where I put those matches at or near the top, but it felt disingenuous.

Finally, I decided to take my list and rank it by "how much did this match make me personally mark out?" That list felt right to me. No "objectively great" match made me mark out as much as 6/9/95. Hokuto and Kandori vs Bull and Kong came pretty close...

#3 through #19 are all pretty much tied for third, but I did my best to put them in some kind of order.

I've got Savage and Steamboat from WM3 at #20. I watched that on closed circuit with friends at Pacific Colloseum and it was the greatest mark-out moment of my life. Adjusted for circumstances, though, 20 seemed fair.

There was a pretty great match at WMXX that was also, at the time, a massive mark-out moment for me. But now, I don't wanna think about that match or that wrestler. It's not on the list, nor are there a lot of matches where Misawa gets dropped right on the top of his head.

Also: there are no HBK or King matches on my list. That is pure, inexplicable, personal taste. I can recognize their greatness as wrestlers and understand why some of their matches get all the stars... but for whatever reason I just don't like those guys and their matches don't do it for me.

Taste is a very strange thing. I love Neil Young but I don't like Springsteen. I love Dvorak but I can't get into Brahms. I dig Bret and Jumbo but HBK and King just leave me flat. Who can say why... and I don't even think the why is all that important.

If you fall down and skin your knee while eating a hot dog, when you are 5 years old... it's quite possible that, as an adult, you will hate hot dogs. You might be all, "I don't like hot dogs because they are greasy and salty and bad for you" but really it's some long-forgotten childhood trauma that's at the root of it. Doesn't matter, though. No use in pretending to like hot dogs if you really don't. Grab a burrito or a hamburger instead , and enjoy it.

#133 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

I sort of feel the same way about Lawler. Checks off every box that makes a great wrestler and he certainly has some great matches to his name. But there's just some stuff I can't get into all that much.

#134 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3042 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

For the past few months, I've been working on expanding my list of favorite matches to 200. I finally have a list I'm comfortable with, so here's the expansion pack. Ranking them was too hard, so I'm just listing them in chronological order. Think of it as a 100-way tie for 101st place.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users