Pro Wrestling Only

Ranking the Holy Trilogy

peachchaos

We've definitely seen every possible variant of ranking Flair-Steamboat trilogy now.

I was 1. Clash, 2. Chi-Town, 3. Wrestlewar

Chad was 1. Clash, 2. Wrestlewar, 3. Chi-town

I think Tim was 1. Chi-town, 2. Clash, 3. Wrestlewar

And now elliott is 1. Wrestlewar, 2. Clash, 3. Chi-town

Pretty amazing.

1. Chi-town 2. Wrestlewar 3. Clash (which is my order, funnily enough) and 1. Wrestlewar 2. Chi-Town 3. Clash are still left.

I was Chi-Town, WrestleWar, Clash.

I have to confess that I don't understand why people put Clash anything but #1, for me it is the best match of all time.

I was absolutely mesmerised the first time I saw it. It it has never lost anything on subsequent viewings.

Arguments put forth here: https://soundcloud.com/jerryvonkramer/where-the-big-boys-play-rewind-ric-flair-vs-ricky-steamboat-clash-6

What are the respective arguments for putting Chi-Town or Wrestlewar ahead of it?

I agree Clash is the best, but I could see a case for Chi-Town because it was so tight and because the finish was a cool moment. I don't see much argument for Wrestle War, which probably wouldn't make my top 100.

See I'm the same, have Wrestlewar some ways behind the other two. And I guess I'm just curious about the Wrestlewar love.

I made the analogy before that Clash is the classic album, Chi-Town the killer single, and Wrestlewar the greatest hits tour. It's always felt a bit less vital than than the other two for me.

Reference.

Chi Town. to this day it is my favourite match of all time. I watched it that night and countless times since. Everything was perfect, from the ring entrances (down to the timing of the music), to the flow of the match, to the ending, to the commentary of Ross and Magnum. Every single thing clicked in that match, and when you add the element of Steamboat actually winning the title, it was utter perfection.

The Philly handheld--from the same day as the Landover match--might be my second favourite. The best version out there isn't in great quality but damn it's excellent.

It's one of those series that you wish every single bout they had between Chi and War was pro shot. Each was likely great in its own way.

Chi Town. to this day it is my favourite match of all time. I watched it that night and countless times since. Everything was perfect, from the ring entrances (down to the timing of the music), to the flow of the match, to the ending, to the commentary of Ross and Magnum. Every single thing clicked in that match, and when you add the element of Steamboat actually winning the title, it was utter perfection.

I feel the same way about Chi Town Rumble. You can sit someone down who is a new to wrestling and it will give the viewer everything they wanted to know about Steamboat vs Flair in a concise time.

With the two others, I ranked Wrestlewar above the Clash. The Wrestlewar match gives a sense of desperation for both guys that I didn't feel in the Clash match given you add the judges at ringside (I know they were meaninglessness at the end but it helped build up the match).

Clash was the best worked match but the poll asked for favorites so I went with my favs.

Over the years I have gone back and forth on the Chi-Town Rumble and Clash as being the best match of the three...but currently I give Rumble the slight edge. As others have already said I just feel this entire match from beginning to end is spot-on, and I also think it is the most "accessible" of the three matches. That said I think the Clash match is fantastic as well, and would not be surprised if a couple of months from now I considered it the best of the three. I have always considered the WrestleWar match the weakest of the three, but still feel it is a great match.

• 8 months later...

I have a special place in my heart for the WrestleWar bout because it was the first Ric Flair match I ever saw and i'd watched it quite a few times before I got to see the other two so I know it really well. I also love the post match angle with Funk. One Classic feud ends and Flair goes straight into another one.

I loved the Clash match though and that seems to get better over time. I was always a bit less keen on the first match but I watched it again recently and thought it was amazing.

I'd go 1) Clash 2) WW 3) Chi-town

I feel like every time I watch or think about these matches my answer changes. I think they are all classic and they bring something a little different to the overall picture of the trilogy. I also can't really remove the matches from the trilogy, which really makes me think more fondly of WW than I probably would if I analyzed it in a vaccuum. I think it uses the learned psychology of the trilogy really well and executes urgency really well. One of my favorite things in a match is urgency. I think that brings a wrinkle to this feud that is one part hatred, one part desperation. The last time I watched them all together I came away loving it and thinking it might be my favorite. As time has gone by though, Clash returned to its spot at the top for me. I love the match and it is just so beautiful and - to steal a descriptor from Parv - mesmerizing. Id probably go Clash, WW, Chi. However, WW and Chi are really close to me.