Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-12-31-Mid South-Oklahoma City, OK] Butch Reed vs Buzz Sawyer (Dog Collar)

Superstar Sleeze

Butch Reed vs Buzz Sawyer - Mid-South 12/31/85 Dog Collar Match

Think about the roster Mid-South had at this time on the heel side you had Dick Slater, Dick Murdoch and Buzz Sawyer, which is pretty great. Then get a load of the babyface side: Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Butch Reed and Jake Roberts. That is bonkers deep. Reed is looking for revenge on Sawyer. Sawyer wants a Dog Collar match and Reed is like you are playing right into my hand, sucka. Reed gets his No DQ match. I watched this six months ago and thought it was every bit as good as the Duggan Dog Collar match and still think so. It is just violence and hatred personified. I really like how such small mistakes can have such devastating consequences in a match like this. For instance, by missing one punch at the beginning, Sawyer gets his ass beat for the next five minutes and is bleeding like a stuck pig. Reed is great at hollering and really playing up how he much he enjoy beating Sawyer up. I loved the chain pressed against the cut. The same thing applied to Reed when he missed a fist drop now Sawyer could take over on him and really do a number on him and bust him open. It was a total war of attrition. I loved that Dog Bark Sawyer did. One of his chain whips sounded brutal on Reed's head. It was scary and crazy. Both men are exhausted and Reed bowls him over, but cant stand himself. Sawyer and rips off his Dog Collar and ties Reed to the bottom rope. Reed comes out of his funk and realizes his plight, but it is too late the Mad Dog sneak attacks. Then in one of the most brutal finishes of all time Sawyer goes to bulldog Reed, but because he is tied to the bottom rope he is yanked back violently to the ground. OUCH! 1-2-3, Buzz Sawyer wins. Slater and Sawyer look to double team Reed, but Duggan saves only to be clothesline brutally by the chain right before his North American heavyweight title match with Dicky Slater.

Awesome, awesome violent spectacle. Sawyer was totally out of control and Reed was awesome as the avenging babyface. What an insane finish! Easy top 10 Mid-South match of all time. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1985-12-31-Mid South-Oklahoma City, OK] Butch Reed vs Buzz Sawyer (Dog Collar)
  • 3 months later...

Both guys are great before the bell. Sawyer is scary as hell.This was all action Butch strikes 1st with a big soup bone. This is violent right from jump street. Reed attacking the shoulder with the chain. Then ground and pounding Sawyer with the chain. Fist drops by Butch with his fist wrapped in chain. Reed has busted open Sawyer. This truly is a great stip with the right workers. Buzz cuts him off and takes him to the floor. Crowd is 100% behind Reed. Reed is bleeding. Buzz just smacking Reed with the chain. Heel yeah he misses and Reed now is whipping Sawyer with bad intentions. Sawyer dives off the top right into a Reed punch. Sawyer gets his collar and ties it to the rope. Reed is at Sawyer's mercy. What a brutal finish. A legendary Mid-South brawl. Post match Duggan and Slater join the fracas. Great stuff all around 4 1/2*