Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-10-11-UWF-TV] Terry Gordy vs Steve Williams

Superstar Sleeze

UWF Heavyweight Champion Terry Gordy vs Dr. Death - UWF TV 9/28/86

I liked how all three matches told different stories, This is the valiant comeback from a pre-match injury match that I am a total sucker for. Hacksaw challenges the winner, but gives Gordy the thumbs down, which riles up the Freebirds triggering a massive brawl where One Man Gang and Skandor Akbar also come down. Hayes crashes down with all his weight on the outstretched arm of Dr. Death held in place by Gordy. It seems like Doc wont be able to make it out, but he is going to fight through the pain. For the next twelve minutes, Steve WIlliams gives his best non-All Japan performance of his life. He is constantly selling his arm and coming up with a ton of new ways to hurl his body at Gordy while protecting his arm. He was headbutting him, charging him, hell he even modified his crossbody. Gordy just really does nothing for me at this point. Everything about him is so adequate except for bumping. He is incredible at bumping, but he just does not add much else. His arm work was necessary, but he never took it to the next level. I thought Dr. Death gave a stellar performance and really carried Gordy here to something special. Credit where credit is due, when it came time to bump for this comeback Gordy did shine. Finish was predictably lame with Gordy using the foreign object, but that is infinitely more tolerable than referee buffoonery in the earlier pair of matches. I liked this match a whole lot, definitely check it out for Doc's performance. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-10-11-UWF-TV] Terry Gordy vs Steve Williams