Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2016

Death From Above

We've had our go home RAW and Smackdown so I guess it's about time for a proper thread.

The card as we know it:

- Darren Young/Damien Sandow vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Ascension vs. Mark Henry/Jack Swagger (Royal Rumble qualification)

- The Usos vs. New Day © (tag team titles)

- Kalisto vs. Alberto Del Rio © (United States championship)

- Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose © Last Man Standing match (Intercontinental championship)

- Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte © (Divas champioinship)

- The Royal Rumble (WWE World Heavyweight championship)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels like the card is still at least one match short so I kind of expect a throwaway Divas tag match in there too.

I could see them doing a thing where Brock and Triple H somehow eliminate each other, leading to a 3-way match at the next PPV, leading to Roman vs. (one or the other) at Wrestlemania. But most of my predictions have been wrong so far. Seems inevitable that Jericho runs deep in the Rumble too, unless they had him cut long promos about it for no reason whatsoever.

I'm a giant mark for the concept of the Rumble match so hopefully it's a little less straightforward than it seems to be with Roman being handed #1. I actually find that pretty unnecessary and I don't really think it adds a ton to the Rumble's story UNLESS they do something really out of left field that nobody is seeing where Roman goes out much earlier than expected. But I absolutely cannot see that happening with they way they are booking him.

It's pretty sad that 2016 Chris Jericho could be looked at as a legitimate potential winner.

I have no clue what they do with the Rumble match so I guess that's a good thing. I'm just hoping they tell some interesting stories within the match itself this year. They've been absolutely terrible with the layout of these matches lately. Book it in three acts, have a hot opening angle, run a different angle through the middle, and finish up with a hot final four. Make the eliminations mean something. Set-up new programs. If they can pull that off and have a couple nice surprises, I'll be happy.

At this point I am expecting the Rumble match itself to be a letdown. But I have high hopes for Del Rio/Kalisto after seeing their two TV matches. Hopefully they can put together something really good. I actually think this is a pretty solid undercard with Becky getting a good opportunity and the tag match having the potential to be fun. Owens/Ambrose might be the match I'm actually looking least forward to at this point because it just feels so totally meaningless.

I still think the money is on a Bryan return. Him getting cleared at UCLA is no red herring, and he could easily be cleared the day of.

That being said, I can imagine him getting eliminated for the third year in a row in a way where the backlash is palpable.

I think Ambrose and Owens will go all out in the IC Title match, but they dicked everyone by having Kalisto win and drop the title.

Women's match might be pretty good, too, but there's nothing about this card that screams worthwhile.

I still think the money is on a Bryan return. Him getting cleared at UCLA is no red herring, and he could easily be cleared the day of.

I realize this could just be wishful thinking on my part but the whole "NO HE'S NOT REALLY CLEARED AND COMING BACK" thing reminds me of the year WWE worked the whole internet about Cena's injury and then he came out at 30 and all those guys with Cena Sucks shirts forgot to boo for a few minutes.

I know that there's the Balor Club stuff going on and I know that people prefer that Styles be the guy he's been the past few years but it wouldn't surprise me if Triple H talks Vince into signing Styles only for Vince to decide he be the Phenomenal One franchise babyface ace gimmick from TNA.

Edit- only except with less success in-ring of course because TNA guys can't win.

Looking forward to the show and looking forward to the reaction podcast even more. My favorite yearly podcast by a mile!!!

Question for the group: Since WWE screwed up the Rumble 2 years in a row, what is the WORST possible scenario and how likely is WWE to do it? I just can't fathom it getting worse than last year but I feel like there's a scenario I'm missing.....

Looking forward to the show and looking forward to the reaction podcast even more. My favorite yearly podcast by a mile!!!

Question for the group: Since WWE screwed up the Rumble 2 years in a row, what is the WORST possible scenario and how likely is WWE to do it? I just can't fathom it getting worse than last year but I feel like there's a scenario I'm missing.....

Daniel Bryan returns and gets eliminated by HHH. Stephanie slaps Brock and Brock has to sell it. AJ Styles gets eliminated in ten seconds, perhaps by an also-returning Kevin Nash.

Roman is tripped by a fan and falls down the stairs during his entrance, requiring medical attention. Likelihood: Extreme.

Wild scenario that just occurred to me: Sting comes out at 30, eliminates The Undertaker to carry on his in-joke of never winning the Rumble, sets up a match 15 years too late at Wrestlemania that could be a reasonable send off for both guys.

This won't happen but I wouldn't totally hate it.

I feel like the worst possible outcome is Roman winning from Number 1, breaking records in the process, all the while the live crowd boos the entire match the whole time.

I really hope their plan isn't to let a guy win it from #1 again, let alone Roman whom is already getting backlash.

As it stands i have no interest in wrestlemana with how the card shaping up. So i thought it be fun to book the rumble for the best possible out come for a wrestlemania main event.
Start the show backstage, having the Balor Club introducing themselves to HHH and Steph and AJ asking them for a place in the Rumble.
HHH says he's glad to have them here, but AJ need’s to earn a place in the Rumble and not just walk in.
He gives them access to a vip room and tells them to enjoy the show.
After the first two matches it cuts to Steph ruining up to HHH and saying Vince is letting him into the rumble (without saying AJ)
Just before the Rumble starts we cut to HHH (in wrestling gear) saying if thinks he's just walking into the Rumble he's going to wished he stayed home.
Walk’s past Curtis Axel, asks to see his number, pedigree’s him and takes it.
Means we get to see Curtis craw out and collapse at ringside, so he can say he's two years in a row he wasn't eliminated.
Daniel Bryan will come out last, to a giant pop with people thinking its going to be AJ.
We get down to HHH, Brock, Roman, Bryan and Bray. (planting the seeds for a face turn for Bray)
At this point the Balor club attack the ring and knocks everyone out.
AJ then throws out everyone on his own to ends to show.
On Raw the next night Vince comes out says, even though AJ wasn't in the Rumble last night.
He's under contract to the Wwe and Vince likes his cahones and he grabbed the brass ring.
So he's the new champ.
This leads to a split between Vince and HHH with Steph stuck in the middle.
Wrestlemania main event
Team Roman (ok i know it be called HHH) HHH, Brock, Roman, Bryan and Bray vs Team Balor (Team Vince) (samoa joe is number 5) in a war games match.

A fun scenario, ragemaster, but I'd prefer your main event for Fast Lane instead of Mania.

Maybe but you need something big for wrestlemania, Fast lane could be a preview 6 man match where everyone interferes and the show go's off the air with a wild braw like Great American bash 89. Leading to needing a wargames due to level of violence that need's to be contained in the feud.

Wild scenario that just occurred to me: Sting comes out at 30, eliminates The Undertaker to carry on his in-joke of never winning the Rumble, sets up a match 15 years too late at Wrestlemania that could be a reasonable send off for both guys.

This won't happen but I wouldn't totally hate it.

Pretty sure Undertaker has won the Rumble to challenge Batista. In fact Shawn Michaels was the last guy he eliminated to win.