Pro Wrestling Only

Pequeno Pierroth

Grimmas

I'm sure he has a hundred good matches on tape if you go through Cubsfan's channels. And he has that fucking amazing 2010 brawl against... I think it was Demus? That match had blood and flying and reckless punches and remains one of the better singles matches of the decade, no kidding. Pretty awesome talent and an ideal example of someone who doesn't need to be a star to be awesome all around.

• 8 years later...

Pequeño Pierroth reminds me of a mini Bestia Salvaje. Not a worker with the presence of a star or one who builds matches so that he looks like a star, but he nonetheless has personality and his overall game has no real weaknesses. Bestia was probably the better brawler and Pierrothito probably the better technical worker, which makes sense as twenty-first century CMLL and the minis division aren't environments conducive to brawls. I like how his career quietly shadowed that of Virus. After their great matches as teammates in 1997, Virus went off to become big sized and have the classic title matches in his forties that cemented him as a maestro, and all the while Pierrothito just chugged along, putting in invariably solid efforts with the remaining minis and notching the occasional spotlight performance himself. I wish we had more of him from the mid 2000s.

A career that spans the eras:
Pierrothito and Virus vs Cicloncito Ramirez and Ultimo Dragoncito
Pierrothito, Espectrito and Fire vs Mascarita Sagrada, Shockercito and Tzuki
Pierrothito, Demus and Pequeño Warrior vs Astral, Mascarita Dorada and Ultimo Dragoncito (Astral backflipping off Pierrothito in the middle of the ring blew my mind when I saw it)
Pierrothito vs Astral (P2) (not a great match, but I respected how he tried to make a believable setup for the always awkward hanging guillotine legdrop)
Pierrothito vs Shockercito

For this one time I decided to group everyone a bit differently:

Spoiler

Mechanics (ranked in order)
Espanto Jr., Emilio Charles Jr., MS-1, Pierrothito, Rambo, Bestia Salvaje, Hombre Bala
Smooth, bumping bruisers with big grins. Generally maskless, tended who have more personality than charisma. Can captain a team, but generally more comfortable as the #2 or #3 in a match. Often more workmanlike than their talents necessitate, and as such they tend to be better in 3v3 matches than 1v1s. Not really guys who chase stardom. A lot of these workers ended up in longtime rivalries with tecnicos who were much bigger stars (Espanto vs Santo for instance), perhaps because their inring ability and general selflessness made for a great pairing with guys who actually did need to be the center of attention all the time. Once a fairly common type of worker, but now not as much.

Entertainers
Fuerza Guerrera, La Parka, Mocho Cota, Jerry Estrada, Brazo de Plata
Charismatic rudos who incorporated a lot of comedy and zany antics into their performances. Quite athletic as well, perhaps because they needed to remind the fans that they were for real and not just pure comedians. Equally comfortable leading a team or in a backup role. Parka and Porky both spent most of their career as tecnicos, but with them I see it as their charisma engulfing the rest of their work until they were more charisma than wrestler.

Superstars
Pierroth Jr., Cien Caras
Dr. Wagner Jr. possibly a third member here. Alpha rudos whose star presence is their defining quality. Generally understand that match quality isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Probably not a very common group historically, as you can't rise through the ranks just by acting like a star. No one's going to buy that. Charisma is something that is earned as much as inborn. Pierroth and Wagner both changed their personality after climbing the ranks, and it's not easy to make that kind of stylistic change midcareer.

Maestros
Virus, Dr. Cerebro, Blue Panther, Negro Navarro
Brilliant rudo technicians for whom their ability is a major part of their character. These guys can wrestle typical matches, but they clearly work differently from your standard rudo. Longevity is not so much a quality of this type of wrestler as it is a prerequisite.

Speedsters
Felino, Silver King
Black Warrior another worker I'd lump with these guys. Similar to the maestros, they seemed to define themselves by their speed. That's hard to make into a strong personality trait, and as such they were minor stars who easily shifted between tecnico and rudo. All of these guys came from wrestling families. Maybe defining themselves by workrate is something that happens only with guys who grow up knowing what impresses workers. For someone who comes into wrestling just to make a buck, it might not make sense to make that a dominant attribute.

Complete tecnicos
Atlantis, Ciclon Ramirez, Lizmark, Angel Azteca, Ultimo Dragon
Stunning flyers who could also work the mat. Very common type of masked wrestler. Not big personalities. Lizmark is more or less the father of this group, although he no doubt was inspired by other similar workers beforehand. In general these guys don't have very many mask matches, Atlantis an obvious exception here, and they're much more technical workers than brawlers. This is a type of wrestler that will get over with a strong push but easily gets lost in the shuffle otherwise. Hard to imagine these guys as rudos (although it did happen with Atlantis).

Daredevils
Rey Misterio Jr., Mascarita Dorada, Mascarita Sagrada
Similar to the other masked tecnico group, but with a greater emphasis on flying. These are the guys fans will seek out just to see a particular spot that they did. I don't know if small size is a necessary part of this personality or if it's because it's hard to do those crazy spots with similar sized wrestlers.

Dancers
Super Astro, Rayo de Jalisco Jr., Kung Fu
Kendo and Kato Kung Lee also in this group. Masked workers who, as much as signature moves, have signature sequences that involve a lot of playing along from the rudos. Not as much emphasis on technique as in the Lizmark group, much greater emphasis on comedy. These guys generally have bigger personalities than the other two masked tecnico groups. Rayo aside, they don't usually end up as main eventers, but in contrast this is a type of wrestler that thrives in the midcard. Their personalities shine through with everything they do and allow them to stand out even without a push. Kato is the only one of these guys who could do this maskless. Astro remasked, Kendo remasked and Kung Fu worked a different style when he was unmasked. Fairly tight grouping, not a common type of worker and possibly extinct.

Everymen
Dandy, Texano, Javier Cruz
Kind of an unmasked version of the Lizmark group, but these guys are generally more grounded and more likely to brawl. All three spent substantial time as rudos. Previously quite common (Americo Rocca belongs here), but unmasked workers are a lot rarer now. I'm not 100% confident that this is a cohesive group, especially Texano, who was much more muscled than the other two and is remembered more as a rudo Misionero than as a tecnico.

Idols
Sangre Chicana, Black Terry, Villano III, Perro Aguayo
Beloved workers with a penchant for bloody brawls. Spent time as rudos, and it didn't seem to hurt their popularity any. Black Terry seems out of place here, but he mattered as much to his smaller fanbase as Chicana and Aguayo did to theirs. Not really sure this type of worker can exist in modern wrestling, although I guess LA Park has matches in the same style.

I always spoiler tag my ratings to avoid taking away from discussion of a specific wrestler. The idea of starting a "types of wrestler" thread came to mind, but if it were started by me and opened with a post featuring nothing but Mexican wrestling, it probably wouldn't have gotten much participation.

I'll move that post to the Microscope, but I bet if you started a thread for grouping wrestlers like that you'd get some good responses.