Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-12-10-WWF-East Rutherford, NJ] Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd ($15,000 Bodyslam Challenge)

Grimmas

I wrote this for my blog in my review of the Hulkamania CHV tape and I want to know if I am crazy or if this match is just really great.

Announcers: Gorilla Monsoon & Howard Finkel

What a truely bizarre team in the booth. The first thing they do is make sure that the $15,000 is on the line. At this time Bobby Heenan said he would pay out that money if anybody could bodyslam Studd, the true giant of wrestling. Bobby Heenan confirms that it is always on the line.

What follows is a surprisingly great match. It’s built around Hogan gaining control, then going for the bodyslam only for Studd to block it and then take control. The big moment occurs when Hogan goes for a bodyslam near the ropes and Studd is able block it and drag Hogan to the floor. He uses the table, ring post and guardrail to bust Hogan open! This leads to the longest heat segment of the match. Studd is so in control he even hits a flying ax handle off the top! During this segment we see the first bodyslam of the match and it’s by Studd. Hogan starts to “Hulk Up”, but he gets booted to the floor. After a little of bit of the King of the Mountain spots, Hogan drags him to the floor. We get some brawling and a comeback which leads to a bodyslam on the concrete floor and a countout win for Hogan.

I really can’t believe how great this match was.

Rating: ****

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1984-12-10-WWF-East Rutherford, NJ] Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd ($15,000 Bodyslam Challenge)