Pro Wrestling Only

PWG

BigBadMick

I followed PWG during their first year until about their first anniversay 12 or so years ago. Back then they were mainly focused on putting on cards featuring a lot of southern California wrestlers mixed in with the big indy names from northeast and mid south. The crowd were much smaller back then and the cards had matches that were a lot better on paper than they were.

Considering they're a promotion out of southern California, the storylines usually revolved around the local talent and the founders (Excalibur, Super Dragon, Disco Machine, Joey Ryan, Scott Lost and Top Gun Talwar).

Some key matches that were better on paper were for example Super Dragon & B-Boy vs. the Briscoes, Colt Cabana, Super Dragon and Adam Pierce vs. Frankie Kazarian, CM Punk and Joey Ryan, B-Boy & Homicide vs. Chris Hero & CM Punk and B-Boy & Homicide vs. American Dragon & Super Dragon.

A problem I had with PWG was that the comedy was cringeworthy. Excalibur was funny sometimes, but the rest really wasn't most of the time.

Another problem I had was that I enjoy watching my sports with commentary. I like it because it gives me a different perspective and sometimes they have stats, details, backstories and catch things I may not know or may have missed and a lot of the early PWG shows didn't have commentary and if they did it was recorded in a studio and not live and it killed off the crowd heat and reaction to the matches.

After following them for about a year, I just got bored and lost interest.

The early PWG releases had commentary on a secondary audio track, and yes, it was mostly cringeworthy. Disco Machine had his moments (usually when mocking himself) and Excalibur was clearly forming his style.

I suggest giving them another shot. Around 2010 is when they really started clicking, and InYourCase's timeline of DDT4 2011 to BOLA 2013 is probably their peak thus far. 2005 and 2006 have quite a few shows worth your time (I can't highly recommend Beyond the Thunderdome, but there's a couple of really fun matches, notably Dragon/Richards vs. Styles/Daniels), but anything from the second half of 2011 to early 2013 should prove fruitful.

Except World's Finest (first event of 2012). That's one of those "for serious fans only" shows, best used to complete a collection. It's not awful but it's very middle of the road.

PWG isn't my favorite fed, but it might be the one I can sit down and enjoy more than any other promotion right now. Even NXT or LU. I love how everyone really turned it into this awesome cult fed, and it being the secret weekend entertainment of a lot of Hollywoodites for as long as it has been is pretty fantastic stuff.

• 1 year later...

Going back into the past here but, I think PWG has the most appeal to a casual wrestling fan and even younger people that aren't especially into wrestling.

They have an all action style show, bits of comedy, and don't have big story lines so its very accessible...esp. when they moved to Reseda,CA. Plus not having a ton of shows a year helps if you become a fan and you want to catch up...

Also, it helps that a good portion of their back catalog is available at a regular or reduced price, and they have a good series of comps...

I'll describe PWG like did Jericho of ECW in a WWE documentary:

"One word: Fun."

I got drawn in by that stoned Hybrid Dolphins promo in 2009 and watched a bunch of shows between then and 2012. I'm not really into modern rasslin' anymore so I don't see there being much difference between WWE, NXT, or PWG tbh but I have fond memories of the Young Bucks as heels and the awesome return of Super Dragon.

Could someone throw out 5-10 top tier PWG matches? Steen-Dragon comes to mind along with Danielson-Hero but it's been a few years now.

I'll describe PWG like did Jericho of ECW in a WWE documentary:

"One word: Fun."

I got drawn in by that stoned Hybrid Dolphins promo in 2009 and watched a bunch of shows between then and 2012. I'm not really into modern rasslin' anymore so I don't see there being much difference between WWE, NXT, or PWG tbh but I have fond memories of the Young Bucks as heels and the awesome return of Super Dragon.

Could someone throw out 5-10 top tier PWG matches? Steen-Dragon comes to mind along with Danielson-Hero but it's been a few years now.

Young Bucks vs. Futureshock vs. Super Smash Brothers: 7/21/12

ACH vs. Kyle O'Reilly: 8/31/13

AR Fox, Rich Swann, & Candice LeRae vs. Adam Cole & the Young Bucks: 8/31/13

Chris Hero vs. Akira Tozawa: 9/5/10

Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa vs. El Generico & Ricochet: 5/27/11

Young Bucks vs. Super Smash Brothers: 5/25/12

Threemendous III and both nights of BOLA 2013 are essential viewing to me

Yeah, that's the vibe I've gotten as well. Its what ROH was back in the day at least in terms of match quality.

It seemed almost like a comedy promotion early on but, even if a person checks out their YouTube previews, they've certainly stepped up their game.

An observation: The Young Bucks are in essence the stars of the promotion. I hated them but have bought their schtick and they're pretty good heels in this environment. Their go-go style is the template for the majority of the undercard.

Black Cole Sun and Don't Sweat the Technique from 2014 & 2015 respectively are good shows to check. I think the BOLA from 2015 had a lot to offer as well.

PWG has more or less taken ROH's place as the 'super indy' fed.

That happened like....5 years ago. At least. ROH hasn't been the super indy fed or even a fed most people care about in a long time. Going back to the Cornette/HDNet era, which I want to say was...2009ish? PWG is what it is, and it is hard to get mad at the dumb shit dudes do in the ring there because that's kind of the whole point of their shows. It is absolutely exhausting to watch a full show in one sitting, though. It's not my cup of tea, but I do usually try to check out BOLA over the course of like... a week.

I don't think they've really had a break out star in years, though. Steen/Generico, then the Young Bucks, and everyone since then has really been fairly established guys already that they're booking for dream matches.

I don't think they've really had a break out star in years, though. Steen/Generico, then the Young Bucks, and everyone since then has really been fairly established guys already that they're booking for dream matches.

I think an argument could be made for Adam Cole. While he's obviously more well known for what he's done in ROH. He was doing the heel shtick, including becoming the PWG Champion, close to a year before he did in ROH.

Brian Cage is out of Sacramento, California...not really SoCal though :\

I think Roderick Strong being the champ in 2015 helped bring him to prominence again. The feud with ZSJ especially. But both guys being known quantities, I think PWG has been more about giving guys a platform to shine.

I agree with not watching a show in one sitting...maybe a match or two a day...sometimes in a different order.

Adam Cole is probably the most forced "indie star" in like a decade. That dude is bland as fuck and I legit have no idea why ROH, PWG, or NJPW books him.

I think he's a good sleazeball heel. RoH trying to push him as a cool heel with the Bullet Club doesn't work at all though. Adam Cole is not cool and no one buys him as being cool.

:) what's your definition of cool? In wrestling I sorta match being cool with being a sleazeball...like HBK. So he's a cool sleazeball-he probably gets the chicks at the bar after the show, has a honey in every big city etc.

Watched a bunch of the previews on PWG's YouTube channel and I'll be darned if they weren't pushing Speedball Mike Bailey and Trevor Lee in 2015. Dimes to donuts Scurll will be on the WWE roster soon enough. Solid skills and clear cut character, good looks, marketable as hell...actually has a chance to go far.