Pro Wrestling Only

Why Roman Reigns Isn't Over

I think there's a lot of truth in Parv's article.

The point about wins mattering is a point that is absolutely valid. Not only does Reigns not win enough big matches, but I'd say that everyone with the exception of Undertaker and Lesnar lose too much. I'm my opinion, the main reason for this is that guys used to be more careful about protecting their spots and sidestepping doing jobs. If they didn't win, they were also more careful about getting their heat back. The culture of not being selfish and being a company guy may be easier to manage but it does discourage that blow-away stand out guy from standing up for themselves. I wonder if Reigns had been less of a loyal company man and objected to how he was presented, vince might have had more respect for him and allowed him to come across stronger on TV.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reigns is at such a weird point because even if he were to win matches clean as a sheet against some of the top talent and WWE fully committed to him, it would do more harm then good. Can you imagine the reaction at SummerSlam if going into that event Reigns had clean wins against Owens, Styles, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, and Wyatt? It doesn't matter who he faces, he will still be boo'd because the crowd organically choose the other players to be their favorites and there has been nothing organic about Reigns post-Shield. So the question that WWE has to answer is how can the company turn something inorganic to organic. Essentially using reverse psychology in a way to use the same elements (aside from the odd booking) to turn boos into cheers. A top player can't avoid all the top guys forever. At some point Cena had to face Michaels, Lesnar, Punk, Rock, and other more over acts.

Would Roman Reigns work better as the anti-hero?

If they wanted to work people into cheering Reigns they could've done so. Reigns was dead in the water as soon as they gave him the Shield vest, Shield entrance music and Shield entrance through the crowd. The better thing to have done would've been to have given him a clean start like they Ambrose and Rollins. The best thing would've been if they gave them to either Ambrose or Rollins creating the illusion one of them is the chosen one. Then there's the issue of how much more protected Reigns was than Ambrose and Rollins during the Shield run and also the infamous "make Roman look strong" which sounds even more stupid when you consider they had him evenly work matches against shit tier midcarders like Fandango.