Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-01-15-AAW-The Chaos Theory] Chris Hero vs Sami Callihan

Luchaundead

This is within Callihan's 1st 15 matches back on the indies in a company that he had good history with but, he still feels like he's not quite back in the full swing of things when it comes to the non-WWE style can't blame the guy, after what I've heard from interviews he's done since he left NXT, it sounds like Demott actually really fucked with his brain when it comes to his confidence. Not sure who was on commentary with Prazak but I am not a fan he blew calls and has that thing where is sounds like his mouth is full of saliva at times.

Now for the actual work, it was pretty a good #1 contender match, Hero hasn't had anything that even comes close to resembling a bad match in the past 3 years and this was no exception. The crowd chants back and forth for both guys and Callihan starts it off hot with a running boot while Hero is being checked by the ref and an exploder for a quick 2 count Hero then answers back with big boot of his own this kind of trade off becomes the story of the match. It's just so obvious how much better Hero is at building tension in the match without the need to do a whole bunch Hero makes every shot count by his execution and even taking the time to sell his own hand after big punches while Callihan throws consecutive strikes using them to just set up dives and other big bombs I can't say he's 100% wrong he keeps the crowd engaged and get's good reactions to everything. During the match I just start to feel bad for Callihan because he's a great wrestler but too short and too ugly to have ever had a real shot in WWE, but, of course right after I think this he feels the need to hock a nasty loogie in his hand before giving Hero a running chop. Another negative is Callihan staggering the corner telling Hero to hit him in the face I'm not one of these people who thinks there is never a time or a place for this style of pissing contest I'm a tough guy posturing in wrestling but I don't like it in a situation where you are the smaller man going up against a guy that is constantly pushed as being one of the most devastating strikers with a history of getting wins off flash knock outs. Callihan uses a chair attacking the knee to get the upper hand felt out of place in this match and he then shows he understands the concept of milking a crowd reaction as he slowly works into a trailer hitch he continues to focus on the leg and he's finally starting to tell a cohesive story I just wish guys like Callihan could start matches with a strong narrative and not have to do what feels like a waste of time for the first 10 minutes. If you told me you thought the finishing stretch was over kill with too many big bombs and too many close kick outs I couldn't necessarily argue with you, this is just what wrestling is now and maybe even I enjoy the older school style nevertheless those days are gone and it's kind of pointless to opine this fact about every modern match. Hero does an amazing job of continuing to sell his leg and knee throughout. They both have good facials that make you feel like they have been in a real war and by this point they have. Callihan gives multiple running boots to finally put Hero away and in the pin that some might see as sloppy I see what was a nice subtle component that if Hero did kick out Callihan had him posed for his primary submission hold the stretch muffler. This was a fine match that was just epic enough to feel like something important was on the line but wasn't going to completely over shadow the rest of the card. 3 1/2*

This battle between two NXT rejects kicks off to a great start. I particularly love the spot where both guys managed to get a strike in and they're sat in opposite corners of the ring, staring down at each other. It made for a great visual and started things of in the right direction. Hero dished out some gorgeous looking punches and elbows and I do prefer them when he keeps them simple, as apposed to sprucing them with a fancy twirl or whip like he started doing later in the match. The transition to the legwork felt organic and Callihan works a mean control segment on Hero's battered ankle. It's a great shame that this was soon forgotten about and this match descends into your typical indywank strike-off. I'm a fan of Callihan, but him constantly spitting is so cheap and stops that spot from actually meaning something when a match warrants spitting. Great start, weak finishing stretch.

★★★½

• 2 months later...

This was kind of the US Indy version of Shibata v. Ishii from the dome show. Two big hitters just unloading on each other. Hero and Callihan are much more varied and expressive performers though and that is why I liked it better. Callihan has a very Terry Funkish selling thing going on, he is always checking his jaw for broken teeth, drooling grossly after a big shot, stumbling around, he also really knows how to unload, I loved him recklessly chucking a chair at Hero's ankles. This did have some of the same flaws as the Dome show match, as it did get a little repetitive, still I am really happy to see Callihan back and pounding on people, and Hero is always worth watching.

• 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2016-01-15-AAW-The Chaos Theory] Chris Hero vs Sami Callihan