Pro Wrestling Only

Chase Stevens

Dylan Waco

The Naturals are an underrated tag team and were a part of possibly the best southern indie match I've ever seen live against Shaun Tempers & Ace Rockwell roughly ten years ago. To really evaluate Chase I'd have to go back and watch a lot of stuff, but I don't think he has a chance. My exposure to him is that of a good tag worker which doesn't really present a big enough case for him. If there's any singles stuff I should know about point me out to it.

I nominated him for someone else who was considering him but didn't want to do the reviews. That said The Naturals were really, really good. It's easy to dismiss them because "lol TNA," but I'd take them over teams like reDRagon and The Young Bucks 100 out of 100 times and I enjoy both of those teams for what they are. I have also seen a good bit of post-Naturals Stevens and really liked it, including the feud with Andy Douglas from SAW, a bunch of his stuff from the WrestleForce promotion here in SC, and other tidbits from Southern indies. I don't know that he'd make my top 300, but if I was seeing him weekly on TN indie shows I might be singing a different tune.

I'm the guy Dylan mentioned. I've worked with Chase on seemingly millions of shows, and he generally brings the goods. (I didn't say always because, well, once or twice I've seen him show up In Very Nearly No Condition To Perform after clearly having taken a drink or twelve; but eh, he's a southern rassler, whaddya expect?) Chase is a hard worker who can do a surprisingly varied amount of different things. He's good as both the plucky babyface fighting back from underneath, and a cocky heel dominating from above; and he's a hell of a heat magnet on these little redneck house shows as a villain, he damn near causes riots. He's mostly an old-school Southern brawler, but every once in a while he'll think something crazy like "ya know what this cage match really needs? For me to do a god-damned shooting star press off the top of the cage". I know for a fact that he can call every single spot in the ring, or memorize a thousand-page script in the back; he's comfortable working into the style of pretty much any opponent. While I dunno if I've ever seen him have a five-star match, I've seen plenty from him in the three-to-four range. He'll probably be kinda low on my ballot, but he'll definitely be there.

• 5 years later...